1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NWHD: Emerson Custom Prewired Kit for Gibson SG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ukepicker, Jan 13, 2021.

1. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Just delivered - a new Emerson wiring harness.
    I'm anxious to see it when I get home. And even more - to install it!

Backstory:
    I've wired or rewired almost every electrical guitar I've ever owned. But my time has gotten precious lately. And I've become more interested in playing guitars in my spare time than working on them. So I popped for an emerson kit. Hoping to whittle the hours of sourcing and spec-ing parts and soldering them up down to an hour or so installing the harness (with new pickups, too!).

In August 2019, I bought some minihumbuckers from Tim at SundayHandwound (LOVE his pickups). I didn't have a guitar to run them in, but I had been eyeballing a 2018 Gibson SG Special at the local store. It all fell together like fate. I bought the SG and have since fell in love with it. It's the best playing guitar I've ever experienced, but not the best sounding. Well, life got busy and those pickups, sadly, have been sitting in a box for more than a year.
    The 2018 SG has the PCB board electronics and quick connect pickups. I wouldn't mind keeping the PCB electronics - they are good quality and work great. But after debating, I've decided to just pull everything out as a unit (PCB and pickups) and sell them off. And install the handwound minihums and a premium harness. Why not do everything I can to make the best playing guitar the best sounding one, too?

Pics and details to follow.

First issues is: to shield or not to shield??? I have a good supply of nice conductive adhesive copper tape.

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Packaged well
    upload_2021-1-14_10-25-10.png

pretty clean soldering work
    upload_2021-1-14_10-25-28.png

Attached Files:

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

And to head off the comments: those caps are pretty, but I'm not too particular about them. I'm sure they sound perfectly fine. But, they are not the reason I bought this harness.

I've read that Emerson has a tighter tolerance on pot values and that they do good work. This just saves me some time and allows me to do more playing and less spec-ing and soldering.

4. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Interesting way to run the ground wire to the pots. I'm wondering if they will need to be bent to have the pots fit flush in the cavity. The whole thing seems pretty tall, this may require creative bending all over the place.
    I'm still hoping for an easy drop-in, though. I mean, for the price. . . . .

upload_2021-1-14_10-32-5.png

Those ground wires are making me lean towards shielding the cavity. . .

5. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

Been doing similar on my end--when I was first getting into modding, could not understand why somebody would pay $50 for a harness that had $15 of parts in it. Fifty or so rewires later, now I get it. I still build my own harnesses, but have occasionally splurged when I just wanted to hear the guitar and didn't want to spend four hours (plus parts acquiry time) to do it.

Side note, I have one of Trevor Wilkinson's SG clones here with Duncan minis in it, has become one of my favorite projects. Sounds kind of like a regular SG that's been hanging out with the Tele crowd for a while. I play ZZ Top tunes on it, mostly, and while it certainly doesn't sound like the Rev, it feels a little like him, and that's good enough for us.

ukepicker likes this.
  6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

That's good to hear. I've been meaning to learn some ZZ tunes.

7. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

Thought a pic might help--this is what it turned out like.

20210114_084248.jpg

Dan German and ukepicker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.