1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NVAD! The gentle giant that followed me home

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Berndizzle440, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

Well this big fella has been reposted for about a month on my local Craigslist (‘68 Guild Thunderbass) and it has had me chomping at the bit with curiosity! When I went to the mans house to go check it out he was waiting in his truck at the end of the driveway. I pulled up and he explained his gear was in the barn down the road, we pulled in and he opened the sliding door and it was like stepping into a chaotic vintage gear emporium! There were cabs,heads, guitars, pedals, keyboards, random cool vintage stuff... it was wild. Anyway we sparked up a deal (though in the listing pictures the older cream 2x12 cab as well.) Either way I’m happy with this amp even though it gave me a scare when I got home..... I plugged it in fired it up and started playing through it and good lord it was thin and small had no body or bass and was all treble. Tried it in other cabs and switched guitars and immediately had buyers remorse.... called my buddy and explained it sounded like a cocked wah. And then it hit me..... I had worked on my wah the previous day and it was ON toe down... turn it off and the notes bloomed and was sparkly clean with depth and good bottom end. She needs a tech visit but it’s the 6L6s version with the 4 tube preamp which I was surprised to see the entire preamp is loaded with Telefunkens! What are your thoughts on this big goofball amp???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

3. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I like it!
    Killer pillar of tone...

4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Wow!

5. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Looks like an Oxford speaker code. Bet it sounds smooth and warm! Looks so retro... nice score!!

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

:cool::cool::cool:

7. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Those Telefunken tubes are worth big bikkies. You may recoup the cost of the amp by selling these.
    IMO Telefunkens are good audiofile tubes; typically very clean sounding.
    For a guitar amp you may prefer tubes with more 'colour'. Maybe some NOS Jan GE's or similar.

PhredE, stepvan and Berndizzle440 like this.
  8. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

You hit the nail right on the head! Oxfords they are. And yes very smooth and deep warm cleans I love them

9. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I'm overcome with covetous lust :)

10. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

That's a beautiful beast!
    Very tidy wiring.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The current issue of VG has the Thunderbass
    It sounds like Hendrix used it on a couple of UK things.
    https://emeapp.org/

Berndizzle440 likes this.
  12. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Handsome bugger!

13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I have owned a couple vintage Guild tube amps, one was a Thunderbird guitar amp, a very large 2x12 combo, the preamp section of the amp was in the top of the cabinet and the power amp section was vertical mounted on one side of the cabinet inside the cab with the speakers. Very clean construction, had bias test points.
    I thought it had a good sound, but it was not real loud for a 2-12 2 6L6 amp that I'd guess was around 40-50 watt? I still have the reverb / tremolo footswitch, it has a heavy cast metal housing , you can see one in the back of the amp picture below, it's much nicer than the stamped metal Fender footswitches.

I think they must be fairly rare, I've never seen another one in person.

Does anyone know who built the amps for Guild?

I found some pictures of a Guild Superstar which appears to be the same amp with a 1-15 cabinet.

Guild superstar.jpg Guild superstar back.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    noname_dragon and telemnemonics like this.
  14. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

That superstar is CLEAN! love that big guy. As far as I know Guild built all of their own amps right in Hoboken New Jersey. They has some interesting build quirks and circuits but they were quite well thought out and very well built! As of right now I actually have an early 60s Thunderbass 2x12 in the works. I should be picking it up Sunday. I’ll keep you all Posted !

noname_dragon likes this.
  15. Ringo

I had a smaller Guild amp w tremolo, sort of like a Princeton, no reverb, it used some odd tubes, sounded great and looked great too. They seem to be undervalued compared to Fender , Vox , Marshall , and Guild amps were definitely well built

Berndizzle440 likes this.
  16. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

Quick little update: I got back in touch with the guy who sold me the thunderbass and worked out a deal to do some cabinet/guitar work for the other earlier Thunderbass I cabinet. Speakers both date to the 31st week of 67 and are both the original Oxfords. I also may have secured to do some carpentry work for him in trade for a ‘59 Supro Ranchero

Attached Files:

noname_dragon likes this.
  17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Your craigslist is way better than mine......

18. Ringo

I love that two tone grill cloth, look like some decent speakers too.

NTC likes this.
  19. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

It’s funny because both cabs come with oxfords of the same type just different sizes and I like the way the 2x12 sounds better. It’s warm and articulate though a little “busy” sounding. I can’t really explain but there are some little nuances that get funky but they both still sound great.

20. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Holic

If the Ranchero deal works out there better be pics. They look pretty cool. Is it a sunburst one? I like the results of your bartering. Im actually glad bartering still goes on

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.