NUX MG-30 Owners

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by oyobass, Aug 6, 2021.

1. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

This may end up being an owners club of one, but I thought the flagship modeler from NUX deserved it.

It might not have all the amp and effects as the high-end modelers, but it has that sound. Isn't the sound really what it's all about?

PXL_20210708_170703735_2.jpg

All in one amp/IR/FX/FX loop/ looper with high-end aspirations for $299. Anyone else have one?

Let's talk.

2. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

The guy I play with at church got one and loves it! He plays acoustic and electric through it. Sounds great to my ears and I have a Helix LT.

oyobass likes this.
  3. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

The MG-30 is a very flexible unit. Sounds great on bass too. Part of the reason is having access to a very usable parametric EQ, along with 5 dedicated bass amps/bass cab IRs.

Every (not so high end) modeler I have used so far has just sounded good enough to be used in a band context. The MG-30 sounds good, with no need for those "good enough" excuses.

TwoBear likes this.
  4. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

After a bunch of and I mean a bunch of YouTube watching comparing, I decided on that. I got held up for a long time and then time was even added on to the date they gave me but I finally got it and I really liked The sound but they had sent me a unit that was supposed to stay on the Chinese mainland, all the commands were foreign to me and there was no changing language. I got to play with it but not delve into it. I really liked the patches that people made, And I think mine may have had some other people that may have been more geared toward their mainland stars, but there was a lot of good stuff in there, out of the box. I had to return it though because of the language and truth be told I did not get along with the little pedal, I don’t know if it’s because I have a size 11 shoe, but it was also the small throw of the pedal, it didn’t allow for A good feel for me. In all that time I had more money so I decided to “up it” to a pod go. In a lot of ways I was more happy with the little mg30. Those sounds from the headless guy (pop into the chemist ?) that does the pedal demos, and Pete Thorn, were really good and moreover tones that I didn’t have. I have a couple big pedal boards but I didn’t have great reverbs, Plus I had to have so many delays because they were all cool by themselves but they weren’t programmable. My amp and cabinet simulation was taken care of by a Hotone ‘something or other’ The name escapes me. I don’t know why Line 6 didn’t put more effort into having people put their name on to some stuff, meaning patches , or if it’s out there I don’t know where it is. There’s a lot more flexibility with this pod go, and I’m getting some good patches out of it but it’s all a bunch of time because plugging into that little NUX, and boom sound was really nice and totally usable and fun to play.

oyobass likes this.
  5. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

I hear you I had one and I would like to be able to drop a few of those patches straight into my pod go without Having to spend a bunch of time trying to cop the sound of a supposedly lesser product. There’s a lot of presets that people put their names on that sound and feel really great, and I play bass also and I completely agree with you there. It’s a great unit for 300 bucks

oyobass likes this.
  6. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

I'm sorry to hear you got sent one of those Chinese market only boards. That seems to have turned off people who got them instead of the global market models.
    Then there is the chip shortage and global shipping slowdown keeping people on waiting lists for months.
    Due to the current Covid situation, the launch of the MG-30 hasn't gotten the market share it deserves, unlike its little brother the MG-300. that one has enough market penetration that you see lots of patches and tutorials on its use on YouTube and other sites.
    I hope the market gives the 30 a fair shake, but it seems NUX is still only able to ship limited numbers.
    Time will tell.

TwoBear likes this.
  7. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

Yeah it’s all screwy but seems to be a breakdown of communication because if you keep looking you can find someone that claims to have 10 of them. I don’t know if that’s maybe a sellers perk/perq, and whether they physically have the units or they can just claim to have them.
    I was a little peeved when I finally found someone that said they were in Texas and had a new one and then come to find out it’s the one I actually got from China after a three weeks to a month and then another two weeks added on. When it was ready though they did shoot it out to me FedEx, PDQ. I initially wanted a local seller in case I had to send it back for any problems, but the return was paid for and only cost me a dollar, and a trip to the post office, because our printer was down. I’m libel to buy another one for a couple simple reasons; I think I could power it from a single 7809 voltage regulator-1.5amp current draw, And take it out busking and sound really good! Even with my pod go I still use my vintage chrome top, Or if I can work out the problems with my freedman tons of tears lemon wah, I just prefer the outboard Wah, so I could probably get around the small expression pedal on the MG 30, but there’s no way I’m powering a pod go outdoors from the battery, it’s just too much stuff, and while I had it of course I knew I was going to send it back, But should I get another one, i’m pretty sure I will just Velcro on or attach a larger piece of thin metal or wood to the top of that pedal to give it a larger “footprint“.

oyobass likes this.
  8. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

I'm going to set mine up with a rechargeable USB power bank for phones and a voltage adaptor. I can see using this while on vacation or maybe even busking (nice to have all options open).

Power banks intended for musicians are much more expensive than their cell phone equivalents. I guess the difference can be put down to luxury pricing for musician gear and commodity pricing for phone accessories.

TwoBear likes this.
  9. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

I just ordered an Harley Benton pedal-size stereo power amp for my MG-30:
    https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_custom_line_thunder_99.htm

I think it will work on bass only for living room jams without a drummer. I'll be running it into a pair of lightweight Fun Generation 12-inch, two way PA speakers, another Thomann house brand, that I already own.
    For guitar, I should be able to keep up with a full band at 50 watts per channel, (well 30 watts at 8 ohms)
    I'll add more info tomorrow after it arrives. 4 days from Germany to the Seattle area ain't bad...

TwoBear likes this.
  10. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

I set up my pedal board around the MG-30 this weekend, including a hack to give me volume swells while retaining echo and reverb trails. In the effects loop, I went loop out>passive volume> Zoom MS-70CDR>loop in. Putting the loop block before reverb and delay lets me get the expected response for ambient guitar sounds, instead of being forced to use the built-in expression pedal's only volume option at the very end of the amp/effects chain that reduces or kills the entire sound including delays when that pedal is used. The silver pedal at the left can switch two additional effects blocks off and on and comes stock with the MG-30. The Harley Benton pedal at the upper right is an $85 2x50 stereo power amp that I can hook up to a pair of lightweight passive PA speakers if I can't go direct New pedalboard config RS.jpg

sammy1974 and TwoBear like this.
  11. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

I am 100% with you here. I power my Friedman wah with 2 18650’s in series, And I power larger collections of pedals with 2 cellphone backup batteries also in series. They are the little $10 packs that you can get from a store like Walmart that have 2 18650 batteries inside them. They put out about 5 V apiece with a lot of current behind them, which I guess it sort of gets halved in the series connection, but nothings perfect. Hooked up to a meter, together in series , they say 10.27 V. . Figuring alkalines put out 9.6+, an over voltage of less than a volt isn’t going to hurt anything new, At least it hasn’t on anything of mine yet. I wouldn’t run them on expensive vintage effects, As some of that old stuff only had 10 volt caps in it to begin with, and they’re probably ready to go anyway. For heavier busking I have a sealed lead acid 12.6 V battery in a plastic ammo case with a small circuitboard housing two 7809 voltage regulators and connectors on the outside. You can get the batteries for about $15-$20 the ammo case was four dollars and change and the voltage regulators are $.50 apiece. It will last for far longer than anything they make for guitars and costs a fraction. image.jpg

Coffeemutt and oyobass like this.
  12. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Now that's a nice setup. Since I added the 2x50 watt power amp, I'll be needing mains power for the foreseeable future, unless I can rig a high current 24v supply to go with a 9v supply source.
    Always good to see what other folks are doing though!

13. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I looked that up real quick, As I’ve been looking around at different rigs/equipment to play out with where I wouldn’t need AC mains power, and/or systems/equipment with inverter. Hopefully not the inverter as that seems to be the biggest loss, but my Digitech stereo looper runs on 120 AC dropped to 9VAC. I tried to find a schematic to see if it wasn’t a simple switch to DC right at the input, and something that I could modify but I haven’t found one yet. I saw yours has a rather large 24 V by 5A pwr supply, sort of computer sized, and the amp wants 4.5 amps draw? I wonder Does anything get hot? 30% headroom would be 5.85? I would think they would go with a 6 AMp supply. This is my 12.6 9aH V SLA battery in the cheap plastic ammo box with Little circuit board I slapped together with two 7809 VR’s. I have since gotten in line fuses, and more connections for dual output, etc. plus building another with new 12v SLA battery from kiddy car with increased current capabilitiy, & digital readout for battery monitoring. image.jpg image.jpg

oyobass likes this.
  14. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

The amp only gets slightly warm (just above ambient) playing bass at a decent home volume, into 8 ohm PA speakers.
    I haven't played out with it yet, so no real world experience, but I'm guessing it would heat up a bit with the rated 2x50 @ 4 ohms.

TwoBear likes this.
  15. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Hi all. Just got my MG-30 after being so impressed with the MG-300. I am creating my own patches and saving over the top of other presets. Is there anyway to blank out existing effects? I know I can bypass them but can still see them there in the background on Quicktones and maybe their are other background settings I don't know about.

Is there anyway I can create a fresh new patch starting with a clean slate....nothing selected? Or is there anyway to delete existing patches / effects and make them blank?

Other thing I noticed no Dynacomp compressor on the MG-30? Was on the MG-300. I really liked it

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    TwoBear and oyobass like this.
  16. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

If you select bypass in the drop down menu you use to select between pedals, it should show a blank space in Quicktone. That should also take all settings out of the signal chain.
    Funny you mentioned the Dynacomp as being a favorite. The main plus to me for the MG-30 is that it has several usable compressor emulations. I could never get a setting that worked for me out of the MG-300's Dynacomp. Not to say that it doesn't work perfectly to get someone else's sound, it just wasn't subtle enough for me, much like the actual Dynacomp.
    You could save a blanked-out preset to work as your base to work from, just save it over wherever you want to start a new one...

TwoBear likes this.
  17. Craig Williams

Nah, I can't find that at all. No blank space? Per photos attached I assume this is what you mean by the bypass menu dropdown? You can still see the original effects ghosted out in the back ground after selecting Bypass. And there is no selection in the dropdown for a blank space unless I misunderstood you?

Could it have something to do with the scenes? Because in this particular preset I have chosen to over write there are three scenes, and the original effects need to be available for all scenes, probably why they are not blanking them out. I don't wish to use scenes nor will I in the future. Is there anyway to add / delete scenes? Maybe if I can get rid of the scenes I can blank out the effects.

I know on the 300 you can blank them out, the Pedal guy has a video of him using and saving a blank preset. All blocks blank

I am generally finding very little information on the MG-30, even in the user groups. The MG-300 seems to have a huge following. Maybe because it was launched during Covid the rollout has been slow.

Screenshot 2021-09-06 065145.jpg Screenshot 2021-09-06 065326.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  18. Craig Williams

Another issue I am finding in Quicktones is when you change from User to factory presets the drop down list on the left still shows all the user presets?

19. Craig Williams

Another few questions.....

There is like a padlock symbol on the main screen on the left. I thought maybe a master volume knob lock or something but can't find anything on how to set it or lock what ever it is used for?

Other thing is what is the sub delay dial for on the Delays? Its not visible on quicktones only when making adjustments on the unit

I just read the ridiculous manual again and they Nux seem to assume everyone already knows all the 100's of features

TwoBear likes this.
  20. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

I'm sorry for blanking out effects, I was relying on my memory from pre-scenes upgrade behavior, (or maybe I'm thinking MG-300 behavior.) I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it lately, so I responded off the top of my head, without even being in the same city as my MG-30.

I think you may be right about the scenes feature needing the dimmed out effect icon to be persistent, since scenes is all about switching on and off effects blocks.

I also agree- NUX manuals SUX big time...:(

I won't try to answer your other questions yet, since I'm about 30 miles from the machine. Hopefully I've learned my lesson on that one by now...

TwoBear likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.