NUX Cerberus- Revisited

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
OK so I've had some time lately to take another look/listen and spend some more time spinning knobs and creating presets on my NUX Cerberus.
HTB1n0DIc56guuRjy1Xd761AwpXaP.png

I had initially thought it to be a dark-sounding unit overall, and had deemed it unfit to use with one of my main gigging amps that is a little on the dark-voiced side itself.

After messing around some, I came to realize that I simply wasn't initially understanding how the thing worked. Setting up presets is a little less than intuitive, and it's easy to unintentionally include reverb from the Cerberus into your preset, and that reverb can really muddy sounds up and make them overall dark-sounding.

Pretty happy with sounds I'm getting from the Cerberus at this point. :cool:
If I can get up and running in the world of IRs (it has IR loading capability), I am betting I'll be even happier with the sounds...

Last edited:

ucnick

Tele-Meister
You have to pay attention when you set up the presets. I have been gigging mine for going on 2 years now, and I have worked up to 18 banks of them that I use between 2 bands. The tone is indeed a bit dark, especially the univibe, but good enough for me.
I was toying with the idea that I may try to squeeze in a small graphic eq pedal, like a Hotone EQ- V, at the input and see if boosting the highs a little before they enter the unit helps, although not sure what will happen in manual mode with everything bypassed.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The sounds really are quite good.
A treadle would have been a welcome addition, for wah/volume

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Dishburn, it's a robust, solid and sound unit physically, and the sounds are very good.

One of the big features for me was knobs versus parameters adjusted by little keypads. I wanted the ability to easily adjust on the fly, if needed. While that functionality is there, it's not as intuitive as it could be, and takes a bit of messing around with, to familiarize yourself with it

Also in setting up presets, there is a bit of a learning curve there, as I'd mentioned

Last edited:

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
@blowtorch - do you still have? If you use in manual mode is it dark? Do you happen to know if it's buffered (a plus for me)? Finally, does it do fast chorus (like fast leslie/faux vibrato)? thanks

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
@blowtorch - do you still have? If you use in manual mode is it dark? Do you happen to know if it's buffered (a plus for me)? Finally, does it do fast chorus (like fast leslie/faux vibrato)? thanks
Still got it. I figured out the perceived darkness was user error- I was inadvertantly including reverb settings in presets I was creating that was darkening the tone up considerably. In my defense it's not super user-intuitive.
Regarding the fast chorus- I'll have to get back to you on that.
Really it's a great sounding and well thought out unit, once you figure out how to use it

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Still got it. I figured out the perceived darkness was user error- I was inadvertantly including reverb settings in presets I was creating that was darkening the tone up considerably. In my defense it's not super user-intuitive.
Regarding the fast chorus- I'll have to get back to you on that.
Really it's a great sounding and well thought out unit, once you figure out how to use it
Cool. thanks. I hope it's buffered or can be set that way. I do like a buffer between my guitar and amp. The manual is a bit confusing.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
so is the actual pedal, at first.
but there are so many things that are great about it.

It's the best multi I'm aware of, without going into actual modelers and such- and I would rate the Ceberus higher than the Line6 PodGo

for me, anyway

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
It's the best multi I'm aware of, without going into actual modelers and such- and I would rate the Ceberus higher than the Line6 PodGo

Given the feature set, that's a modeler. They just decided to put more controls on it than the dashboard of the Space Shuttle. :)

Thin white duke

Friend of Leo's
so is the actual pedal, at first.
but there are so many things that are great about it.

for me, anyway
I used to have it for a while, very very nice sounding multieffect, for the price it's hard to beat it, i also found the distortion too dark especially with humbuckers, no problem with the OD.
I really loved the delays, in particular the Tape Delay, the rest was also very good, modulations etc.....

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Let’s say an aging rocker needs readers but is too vain to wear them on stage. Might he be able to see the footswitch labels from average male mic standing height? 🤣