Nux Cerberus multi

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by blowtorch, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

The ability to make presets is one of the BIG pluses for gear like this in my opinion.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I wish some of you other guys would buy this thing too, so we can yap about it. heh

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm thinkin hard on it! I don't readily buy gear anymore, so it usually takes me a while to actually move on something.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. blowtorch

Same here, Jupiter! Awhile ago I realized I've got like, at least three of most everything...

5. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Being a big fan of the Tech 21 FR5 series, I broke down and bought a Cerberus, arrived last week, finally had a chance to use it at blues band rehearsal last night. Powered it from a Pedaltrain Volto 2 with no issues.

I had set up four presets but totally forgot to use them, was having too much fun in manual mode. Ran my TAG Hollow T into it and then straight into a Quilter Micrpro Mach 2 HD 12 inch, a little reverb on the amp, no gain, all tone controls at noon. The Cerberus sounded great, used the drive for the lighter grit stuff like SRV and used the distortion for thicker stuff like Albert King, just rolled off on the guitar volume to get the edge I wanted. A little dark like blowtorch said, but I prefer my tones on the warm, phat side anyway. It did particularly well on Buddy Guy's Feels Like Rain, dialed in a little delay and tremolo and used the drive with guitar volume rolled back for the clean parts with a little bite and turned up the guitar and kicked in the distortion for the slide parts, with the delay on to get that nice sustaining tone. We all dug it.

Overall, I really like it, and for 3 bills I think it's a great deal. Only sort of drag is the tuner, you have to become accustomed to what it tells you, but once you get the hang of it, it works well enough, not a strobe but at least as good as a clip-on. Need to pay attention to the kill dry switch and the switches that determine drive/dist stacking and delay/reverb placement. Didn't have a chance to play with the cab sim/IR side but may not really need it, in my bands I'll usually just play it through an amp at clubs and at large gigs like festivals they usually mic my cab anyway.

sntsvt and Paul in Colorado like this.
  6. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

IMG20190514191239.jpg IMG20190514191226.jpg IMG20190514191217.jpg

Valeton = Volume/Expression
    Eiffel = Engineer's Thumb

So far I'm satisfied with this setup. This'll be my backup/ go-to rig for my full size board.

7. blowtorch

After gigging mine awhile, I decided it was in general too dark-sounding. Now granted, this was through a sorta relatively dark amp, and I never messed with the IR stuff at all

8. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Try adding a compressor with a buffer in front. Or probably a SHO circuit of some sort. This bumped up my highs. So far happy with it.

9. blowtorch

I'd considered adding an EQ or something, but to me, the main strength of these multis is to function as a one-piece unit, and to not have to worry about additional connections and another power source. It is a great unit though, and I'm glad you are happy with yours

cacophony likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.