1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nut Files - only FIVE BUCKS!!

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by lookslikemeband, Sep 4, 2013.

1. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Tele-Holic

Lost a bunch of tools in the divorce last year.. Including my nut files. :neutral:

Can't swing $75 for a new set.....

What to do?

Make my own! Only $5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

I've read about doing that with feeler gauges but I wonder what kind of a rough cut they might make.

3. lookslikemeband

I serrated them using a triangular diamond file... then lightly sanded the bottom with 1000 grit to ensure a round slot...

They worked REALLY well!

4. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I love creative workarounds! This is quite brilliant really. I'm going to remember it for the next time I need to cut a nut with odd sizes. The rocking the file thing works OK but I'm not crazy about it, and don't want to buy any more files.

5. lookslikemeband

Thanks!

Shoot... there are a TON of different gauges ... figured I could just attach two sizes together to make ANY size I need.

So far I've put together a set of 10 "standard" sizes....

6. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Tele-Meister

That's what I did in the early days. After a few jobs, they get dull, but when they're dull they work like the torch tip cleaners (except they don't bend like the torch tip cleaners do all too easily. Not bending is a huge plus with any nut slotting tool). Even though I now have real nut files, I'll still run my old notched feeler gauges in the slots as a last step to burnish them. And sticky backed sandpaper wrapped tightly around the round edge of a feeler gauge is a favorite of mine (doesn't work with the most narrow slots, 'cause the feeler gauge would be too thin).

7. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

I love the idea!

8. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the idea!

Last weekend, while noticing a set of feeler guages in the toolbox, it was obvious that they are a never-used tool with modern automobiles for this former shade tree mechanic.

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Really, you lost the real nut slot files in a divorce? Anyone tempted to try the same feeler gauge trick should do some reading here. A search will turn up testing comparisons of the real way to do it (proper nut slot files) with all the fake methods that have some people fooled.

10. lookslikemeband

Actually there was a bunch of stuff that was in boxes that she said she couldn't find.. One of them being a toolbox of mine.

Other than that... Not sure what you're saying..

11. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

My StewMac tools are probably the most valuable things I own. If I were to get divorced, thats probably what I'd have to fork over. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.