Nut files for rent/borrow?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by ejphotos, Oct 23, 2019.

1. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

I need a set of nut files for one time use on one of my guitars, and that's all. Does anyone know of a place that rents something like this out then refunds your money on return?

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sorry to be a cramp, but the best/only reason to DIY is to learn a skill that you will continue to use.
    If you send your files back, it's all for naught.
    It's one thing if it's a big job on a car that you may never have to do again, but you will likely need much nut tweaking over the course of your life as a guitar owner/player.
    IMO...either buy them and develop a skill you can use for life, or take the guitar to someone who already knows how.
    Unless you really think you will never need to adjust another nut.
    The only guitar I ever saw that came from the factory with a properly cut nut was a '94 Epiphone.

JL_LI and magic smoke like this.
  3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

take it to a guitar shop and ask if you can use their nut files for a small fee? Or just pay them to fix your nut.

4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Seriously? Rent isn't free; it's a quid pro quo transaction. IOW, you pay to borrow. :rolleyes:

You can buy a full set of quality nut files for about $80; money well spent.

SacDAve and magic smoke like this.
  5. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This makes me realize, I have never seen used nut files for sale.

I almost scored a used set when a guy retired, but his estranged wife had hauled his stuff away somewhere. I asked a couple of luthiers in town but nuttin'.

I admit to getting a bit tired of using welding tip wire files, and it doesn't seem like I'm going to stop working on guitars, so at last I'm gonna spring for a set of nut files.

6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

I think OP meant that you would pay a deposit, and then get it back when the files were returned unscathed. I first I though he meant "where can you buy some, use them, and then return them and get your money back.

Welding tips really are less than ideal.

7. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

I was having the same problem, I solved it by buying one 0.10" file for £10 and a cheap set of files for the rest of the strings for £5 should be enough to get the job done on a budget, the 0.10" file can be used for the 0.13" rocking it side to side. here are the things I bought for much less than a whole set s-l500.jpg apiieidor__75305.1537121991.jpg

bumnote likes this.
  8. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

This is what I meant, much like how you can rent automotive tools and get the deposit back upon return. I'm thinking about getting a quality set, just wanted to see if any other options were available before that, because I really won't use them that often. And like @SecretSquirrel said, I haven't seen used sets for sale either.

Which set are you referencing? $80 isn't bad at all if it is quality.

9. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Just buy a quality file set.
    Money well spent.
    A well cut nut can really make a difference in the way a guitar plays.

King

10. FenderGuy53

Uo-Chikyu Japanese Nut Files

You can buy these files individually or in sets. I purchased a 6-piece set online, and I was able to specify the 6 sizes that I needed (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036 and .046). The set cost me $80, plus shipping.

I can't remember the retailer, but if you Google "Uo-Chikyu guitar nut files", you'll find retailers.

FYI: Don't buy sets with sizes you won't use. Spend the time to find a retailer who sells sets in your sizes, or will let you order 6 singles for the same set price.

Good luck!

11. FenderGuy53

Ah, okay. :rolleyes: For nut files, I think I'd prefer to have them on hand.

...and I agree: welding tips ARE less than ideal. ;)

12. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

13. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Are you slotting a nut from a blank? Have you bought the nut?
    If you haven't bought the nut...buy a pre-slotted nut. If you are enlarging or fixing an existing nut then you only need to spend about $5-20 for a tool like Ben Smith posted. It's similar to what I use, I've done 3 pre-slotted nuts with it and cleaned or enlarged other slots with it.
    You are wasting money if you spend more than $20 for a "one-time" use tool and no offense to the posters...but you should ignore some of the suggestions above. They maybe great files, but spending that kind of money for something you plan on using one time frankly isn't helpful at all. If you start doing this regularly...then buy the more expensive files. Until then start cheap.
    I use this cheap little tool I got off Amazon and it was $6 well spent.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UHP7HM/?tag=tdpri-20

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.