1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nut file sizes or make shift?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Boundforglory07, Aug 9, 2011.

1. G60syncro

G60syncro Tele-Meister

I have some regular needle files, square, round triangle and whatnot that I use to rough out the slots. I also use my rasor saw with a .010" thick blade for the smaller plain strings. The I use 400 grit sandpaper folded in half for the small strings and fold it ove itself some more as I get to the bigger ones. I always use the ratty set of strings that came on the guitar while setting it up and cutting the nut. Once I get it where I want I just tune down the strings a little loose and slide the nut up and down with a little toothpaste or valve lapping compound (if you're into cars like me) to break-in/polish the slots. This should'nt affect the action or the rest of the setup, so I just glue in the nut with a bit of carpenter's glue and put a fresh set of strings...

...Which reminds me I have a guitar and a couple back-ups to setup for friday's gig!!

Karl

2. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

mine are feeler gauges, serrated with a small triangular saw file.

3. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

I should also note that I made handles for them and then wrapped the handles in some nice leather- I'll have to put pics up for ya's. I find them to be "exquisite".... lol. Seriously though, they work without leaving me wanting something else-

4. Ragtime Dan

Ragtime Dan Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I should have noted that I start the nut slots with stewmacs gauged saws. And then round them with the tip cleaners. The gauged saws are a bit cheaper than the nut files.

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

So true. Once you bite the bullet and buy them, then use them the first time, you'll wonder how you could have been so stubborn. I know, I put off buying them for 20 yrs :rolleyes:

That's exactly the set I bought ;)

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've flat ground the ends of hacksaw blades carefully keeping them cool/wet so they don't go red and melt..... and used a micrometer to get thicknesses right... for the treble strings... the longer length and stiffness helps... (feeler gauges would work better as they are already to size.)...

I leave some saw teeth on the edge and round them with a stone ...

oxy tip files work for the bigger strings.... as a welder I've always had them around...

not as if I'm making them every day to need dedicated tools for the job...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.