NUGD

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Zepfan, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have a set of Seymour Duncan P Rails and a set of Triple Shot Rings and I was looking for something to put them in. I was leaning towards a ES-339 size and type or a hollow body. Went to a pawn shop today and they had a Epiphone LP Jr marked down from $276.00 to $99.99, so I got it.

It's a special edition type with a pickguard that covers the entire body, which I wasn't happy with, but I can remove that and make my own guard depending on what the cavity looks like underneath. I haven't had time to take it apart to check the cavity yet.

Here's a pic of what it looks like(not mine, but this is what it looks like).
    upload_2020-8-7_2-38-53.jpeg It needs to be cleaned and the neck could use a trussrod adjustment and new strings.

FenderGyrl and Tele-beeb like this.
  2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

You can never resist the black and red combination.

Zepfan likes this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice. Congratulations.

Zepfan likes this.
  4. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic

I will never understand the appeal of a guitar with branding all over it. Looks like a good candidate for mods and you never know what that guard will go for on reverb. There’s no accounting for taste.

Zepfan likes this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

For 99 simoleans, the Epi Jr. has been a compelling place to start. Can’t tell if the beer ad is painted on top or likely a screen print underneath, but maybe you could shoot a coat or 3 of rattle can black and call it good.

anyhow, congrats!

Zepfan likes this.
  6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I'd have bought that whether I was going to mod it or not. I was watching a video with Leo of Frogleap Studios, and he said he has a bunch of cheap, cool looking guitars around just for videos.

I would just have it on a stand in my music room, so when I send or post a picture, people would go "Hey! What is that?"

John Backlund and Zepfan like this.
  7. Zepfan

The guard has a print on the back side and it looks nice. Not a fan of Budweiser except for the old commercial frogs.:lol:
    I was thinking of modding it right off, then looking into the value of the guitar, I keep seeing references to it being rare. However, the most I've one sell for is $135.
    So like Festofish said, the guard will get sold on to whoever whats it. I was thinking a new Tort guard, but like bettyseldest mentioned, it's hard to resist Red and Black. So maybe a Red Pearl would look nice. Probably couldn't go wrong with either.

8. Zepfan

The pickup is mounted to the guard and there's no springs, it's just adjusted all the way against the guard. The one volume knob is mounted to the guard with jack on edge of guitar.
    Guessing the cavity is pretty large like those new LP Specials.

9. Zepfan

Pic or proof of purchase.;)
    DSCF0895.JPG

teletimetx and FenderGyrl like this.
  10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

why not find a peace of nice fineer ore natural wood like Lacewood in the thickness of that pickguard plate and use that?
    make it transparent black to combine with the rest of the body

Zepfan likes this.
  11. Zepfan

Not a bad idea. I could take the guard off, plain it down a bit and make the cavities into a chamber, add a 1/4" top with some F-Holes for a ES style LP with the PRails and Triple Shot Rings.

12. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

there is a nice song about your suggestions

;)

13. Zepfan

It's all just some idea's til I get time to work on it more. My original idea was to put those pickups in a ES-339, a ES-LP can work too or I may just keep it as solid as I can.;) Where ever the wind takes me at the time or where ever the Flying Monkeys drop me.:lol:

14. Zepfan

I took the guard off and like I thought, they have that new LP Special type route. Swimming pool for pickups and large control cavity. DSCF0909.JPG The pickguard has a print on the backside. DSCF0912.JPG DSCF0913.JPG

15. Zepfan

Fretting out likes this.
  16. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

Peel the print off and get a new picture printed...an Arizona sunset, or a Salt Life pirate skull, or a steamboat or whatever floats your boat.

17. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I do that sort of thing all the time. It's no accident that there are oddball guitars in my photo backgrounds...

Here's one where I'm trying to show off the left lens of my spectacles, but if you look real close, you can see a rather unusual black & green guitar in the background...
    IMG_20200804_094447469.jpg

Rev Rhythm, Asmith, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  18. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

just an idea of something i did my self ;)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.
  19. Zepfan

If this guitar isn't going to go up in value since Epiphone is saying they will stop making them, Then it's going to get chambered more and become an ES LP with the P Rails. I was just a bit apprehensive to do so if it's going to go up in value. I don't know how many of these were made, guess I'll do more investigating first.

20. Zepfan

I don't think this guitar will go up in value after all. This is one of those Plywood body Epiphones. I didn't see it at first, but after some closer inspection I saw the layers in the cavity side walls. So, ES LP Special it shall become.

Will be getting some sealed tuners to replace the caped ones on this guitar. The old ones work fine, just like having the sealed ones better. I can use these tuners on a CBG build or something. I'll need a switch and some pots too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.