Nudie Cohn - Rodeo Tailor/Ukraine immigrant

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A pal just sent up this article to share w/ me.

A few new facts for me in there, like the number of thise suits owned by Porter Wagoner. Lawdy!

nudie-cohn.jpg

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I would go to Nudies store all the time. It was right near my doctors and the dog groomer up in Studio City. I would go to lunch at Eddie Saul's. That Caddie (Story says Bonnevilles, I swear one was an Eldorado) was always parked out front. He was always there and he loved the attention. He also was in every parade in LA. Cool Dude. The store, restaurants are all gone now. There was some version online last time i looked. I bought a cowboy hat from Nudie just to buy something from him. I never wore it.

Last edited:

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
He had such such cool stuff and a great great innovator.

I think he had a store in Nashville (??).
And I probably went to it when I was stationed at Fort Campbell in the '70s.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
I can’t help but like Nudie. He was a perfect example of an immigrant that came to the US and made the impossible look simple. I had no idea that there was a tie between Ukrainian clothing styles and Nudie Suits, but it’s obvious now that I’ve seen that photo. This serves to illustrate how many influences make up a culture, and the surprising sources of some cultural elements. I would have never imagined that cowboy style clothing had an influence far far Eastern Europe. My best to all the people of the Ukraine.

FabianHernandez

NEW MEMBER!
A pal just sent up this article to share w/ me.

A few new facts for me in there, like the number of thise suits owned by Porter Wagoner. Lawdy!

View attachment 958970

In fact, in recent months, many immigrants from Ukraine who move to Europe or the United States begin their lives here and try to develop. At https://samploon.com/free-essays/immigration/ I read some interesting articles about immigration that explained some sociological processes to me.
Interesting information, thank you.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I love Nudie suits and designs. Can’t come close to affording one, so I’ll have to make do with this sparkly Nudie strap to complement my sparkly Telecaster.

Attachments

• B5927EED-E723-4A01-ABEB-21E03DC03690.jpeg
    B5927EED-E723-4A01-ABEB-21E03DC03690.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 9A6BFBB3-7043-4B3F-9ADC-DC2F9A4391B4.jpeg
    9A6BFBB3-7043-4B3F-9ADC-DC2F9A4391B4.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 14

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I would go to Nudies store all the time. It was right near my doctors and the dog groomer up in Studio City. I would go to lunch at Eddie Saul's. That Caddie (Story says Bonnevilles, I swear one was an Eldorado) was always parked out front. He was always there and he loved the attention. He also was in every parade in LA. Cool Dude. The store, restaurants are all gone now. There was some version online last time i looked. I bought a cowboy hat from Nudie just to buy something from him. I never wore it.

Nudie's store was at 5015 Lankershim in North Hollywood, which is a bit funkier than Studio City, but not nearly as funky as the stretch of Lankershim where The Palomino was located, 2.5 miles to the north.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Nudie's store was at 5015 Lankershim in North Hollywood, which is a bit funkier than Studio City, but not nearly as funky as the stretch of Lankershim where The Palomino was located, 2.5 miles to the north.
Thanks. I had meant my Doc and the groomer was in SC. I stand corrected. I also would go to George Barris' shop at Lankershim and Riverside to ogle at the cars.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Thanks. I had meant my Doc and the groomer was in SC. I stand corrected. I also would go to George Barris' shop at Lankershim and Riverside to ogle at the cars.

My sister-in-law lives near what is now the former site of Barris' shop in Toluca Lake, down the road from Bob Hope's place, so I would drive by it frequently.

Last edited:

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Bob always wondered why you were driving past his place. :)

Indeed, he did. I used to speak regularly with on the phone his publicist Ward Grant and his daughter Linda Hope. When the house majority leader erroneously announced Hope's death in 1998, I had to call up Linda to confirm/disconfirm, and she told me, in a very formal tone, that her father was "alive and well, eating breakfast in his Toluca Lake home."