NUAD! Classic 30 II Special Edition

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GreatDaneRock, Sep 25, 2021.

1. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

Three days ago I took ownership of an excellent Peavey Classic 30 II Special Edition, bronco white tolex, all black appointments. Bought it from the original owner who barely played it. Amp was built in 2014, Made In USA. Got it for $380. It's loud!!

I replaced V1 with a 5751 and left it alone. It comes with a great speaker, a celestion G12 V-type 70w. This amp is the replacement to my mint, circa 2000, Valveking VK112, also a great amp.

Over the years I've realized I am not a 6L6GC power tube type of player, I gravitate more to EL84 power tube sections. So I'm thinning out the herd (hence why the VK 112 is up for sale).

Here are the mandatory pictures of the new, to me, amp.

IMG_20210923_181216204_1.jpg IMG_20210923_181221698_1.jpg IMG_20210923_181230231_1.jpg IMG_20210923_181238964_1.jpg IMG_20210923_181307565_1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That’s a Celestion V-Type speaker. It kinda straddles the tonal range between a vintage 30 and a Greenback. Great speaker! I have them in two cabs. Congrats on a fantastic NUAD!

Blackmore Fan and GreatDaneRock like this.
  3. kookaburra

kookaburra Friend of Leo's

Great score!

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  4. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Nice. What are the three jack sockets on the back for? Mine has only two, footswitch and extension speaker.

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats!
    I played a classic 30 for years as my main gigging amp.
    I replaced the stock speaker with an Eminence Texas Heat. Tried a bunch of tubes over the years.
    Great amp.

6. GreatDaneRock

Yes it is! I was going to put in an Emi Swamp Thang that I have from the valveking, because the valveking original speaker really sucked bad. The valveking and the classic 30 amps use the same speaker ohms. But after playing this amp as is, no need to change the speaker for now. Thank you for commenting

mkdaws32 likes this.
  7. GreatDaneRock

The jacks are external speaker, Reverb, and Channel/Boost.

8. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

I like the V Type. Most amps have a speaker or two that are pure magic with that amp. But the V Type just works with just about anything.

mkdaws32 and GreatDaneRock like this.
  9. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Ah, I don't have the boost. Just channel and reverb.

Actually, I'd forgotten that it even had a boost switch. I'll have to have a play with it next rehearsal.

mkdaws32 and GreatDaneRock like this.
  10. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations, a cool amp and a good price.
    Can’t go wrong. Enjoy.

11. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

Great, reliable gigging amps.

DSCF0413.jpg

BB, Blackmore Fan, basher and 3 others like this.
  12. GreatDaneRock

I've heard the same thing about the celestion v-type in the past 3 days from various musician friends. I never had one before but I'm really liking it. I was going to put an Eminence Swamp Thang, but for now the celestion stays put.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  13. GreatDaneRock

Wow, I really like yours too. What year was it made? It looks like it has a lot of mileage on it, kudos! Have you done any mods, what speaker did you end up with in it, tubes?

Absolutely correct about the gigging situation, this will be my gigging amp. My rehearsal space and recording amp is a Classic 20mh, though made in China it sounds amazing with my pedal board and with what I'm looking for in terms of tone. I wanted the same sound in a bigger louder package, combo style. Found it!

14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That’s funny! I got a good deal on a Fender 112 cab with a V-Type about 2 years ago to pair with an 18 watt H&K head. I was going to replace the V-Type with an EMI Private Jack, since that has been my favorite speaker for years - Greenbackish, but not quite.

But after the V-Type broke in, I loved it. I bought a second cab the same last year to stack em!

15. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Looks great. I've got a 2007 tweed Delta Blues 115 which runs 4 EL84s. Love it.

[​IMG]

16. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

You’re making me miss my DB210…

I have never needed that much amp for my purposes, but it’s unbelievable what a bargain those things are on the used market.

Flaneur and GreatDaneRock like this.
  17. GreatDaneRock

I hear you. The good news is mine is already broken in, 2014 amp. About 50 hrs on it according to the previous owner. Sounds great this far

mkdaws32 likes this.
  18. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Good on you, GDR..!
    My first amp was a classic 30, during the (ugh) mid 90s..!

Just the other night I was playing a gig on the north side of Chicago, venue has great backline amps, including a blackface deluxe and a silverface deluxe reverb. One of them was out for service, so I got the third-string backline amp, a tweed classic 30. It had been ages — plugged it in, couple of dials, rocked the show.

Great amps, congrats..!

19. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

I blew up the speaker and put in a cheap Celestion. Sounds even better- but that might be because of the new JJ valves......:cool:
    It's an early one and was battered, when I picked it up. It's been my gigger, for about seven or eight years. Lots of shows, some recording, plenty of surprised compliments, from folks who thought only Fender and Marshall made 'proper' amps......

20. GreatDaneRock

May I politely ask, how does one go about blowing a speaker?! I assume the speaker was appropriately rated for a 30 watt tube amp, correct? Unless the speaker you blew up wasn't the original speaker that came with the amp and it was some mismatch situation that the previous owner created...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.