NTGD, and it's awesome!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by EsquireOK, Sep 15, 2019.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I have been kicking this idea around for a while, and I finally just went for it: Get a Squier Mini, and string it up in A standard using ultra light strings.

I used a set of E.B. 8s for my first experiment. It's a little tight for most (but not bad – feels like 11s or 12s on a regular guitar). I might try the D'Addario 8s (slightly lighter on some strings, and heavier on the one string that is the loosest – the 3rd string). Or the Billy Gibbons signature 7s set by Dunlop (though I am afraid the 3rd string will be too rubbery).

It sounds awesome! Tonally, it's like playing an electric with a capo on the 5th fret, but with more space between the frets. This instrument type has a lot of potential for traditional country music, I think. Really gets that capoed tone, but it's more comfortable to play in some ways. Like I said, more space along the neck...but the neck is very narrow, so there is less space across the neck. It would be better with a wider neck, but it is playable as is.

Another good use for it is playing in the key of D using what would be key-of-A fingerings on a normal guitar. Or playing in G as if you were playing in D (cowboy chord stuff sounds great this way). Or playing in A as if playing in E (though that's not as useful, as on most songs, I find playing in A on a regular guitar to be easier than playing in E). Also, when you're fingering open G formations on this guitar, you're actually playing in C, which could have some use to some people.

For now, I'm calling it a six-string tenor guitar, as it is similar to a typical C-G-D-A tenor guitar range wise (same high string, and only a major 6th lower on the bottom string). But I might think of a better name later on.

With this set of strings, I have a feeling it would make a great G standard or open G guitar.

Total cost? $149 + change for the brand new guitar and the set of strings. There are some refinements to make (e.g. reshaping the neck profile to a V, at least on the bass side of the neck – and perhaps converting to more typical Strat controls and some cooler pickups), but that's not a bad initial outlay for the experiment. At least now I know the concept has promise.

50C97BBF-468D-4913-8023-7E27C6DE6428.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

It completes you . . .

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

OK. Here come the mod ideas.

I want to give it a classic '50s-style guard, first of all. Thin single ply white, not this thick, beveled single-ply white that it came with. Fewer (8) screw holes for a cleaner look, and smaller (Gibson sized) hold-down screws, so the screws don't look so oversized. Same with the pickup adjustment screws: smaller.

The pickups look too big to me. I am thinking three Wilde Micro-Coil Tele neck pickups, in white, so they are more in scale with the guitar (plus I have always wanted some of those pickups).

And, of course, I want more typical Strat controls, not just master volume and tone.

It'd be great if I could find miniature Strat knobs, but I don't think I can (maybe find a kid with a 3D printer to help me). Maybe I can find white small Jazz Bass style knobs instead.

The neck has a bit much shoulder. I might shape it into more of a V.

These string trees will be going. They are oversized, and hold the strings at odd angles coming out of the nut. I'll use height adjustable Gotohs so I don't need any string trees.

I might cheat the strings a bit outward on a new nut.

If I ever wear out the frets, it'll be getting super tiny mandolin/folk instrument wire, like Dunlop 3330 (.043" wide by .031" tall). And I'll add a ton of radius to the board at this point too. The narrow nut makes the flatter board a bit difficult to play. It'd chord a lot nicer and "feel" like a wider neck with more radius...and it'd be less cramped with the tiny frets (I like tiny frets anyhow).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.