NTD

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Jun 18, 2021.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

No, in this instance, that acronym doesn’t stand for “Nothing To Declare” or “Notice and Take Down” or “New Tubes Defective.” For my purposes here, NTD = New Tecovas Day. New boots, that is. As I write this, they’re on the FedEx truck for delivery, but not here yet.

This marks the first time I’ve ever bought boots online. But buying in a local brick and mortar store has always been problematic for me, too. In part, that’s because of personal service, or lack thereof. It’s rare to find a person under 40 years of age that understands what “service” means.

There is a store locally that has been my go-to (Boots & Britches, in case any of y’all are interested), but short of custom-made boots, every pair they have for sale seems to be made in China, and that’s something that I just won’t do.

And I need the salesperson on the floor to be service-minded, ‘cuz I’ve got a weird foot. I can’t just walk in and pick out a style or a type of leather or color. I always need to start with whatever they have in my size or nearest to my size.

Years ago, a friend was a manager of a Red Wing store, and I went to him for some boots. Bob sat me down and whipped out that Brannock Device (or as we call it in Texas, that foot-measurin’ contraption). He cinched up my foot to determine length and width, paused momentarily, staring at it, and then exclaimed, “My goodness! They’re square!” My daughter calls them “Hobbit feet.”

But this time around, instead of a local store purchase, I decided to try Tecovas, a Texas brand. You order them direct. I followed their size ordering instructions, and now it’s just a wait and see proposition. As I’m sticking around the house waiting for delivery, I thought I’d pass the time partly by creating a discussion thread about the experience. Maybe others of you will have had experience with them, and your comments will hopefully help me pass the time and ease the tinge of apprehension I still feel about buying boots online.

So, barring any hiccups in the process, I should have my new boots in hand—or on foot—by day’s end. Pics and review to follow…

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the new footwear!

The wife and I went shopping for clothes for the first time in years yesterday, I noticed they opened a new Tecovas store at La Cantera (big outdoor mall here). They had some really nice boots. I only own one pair, a pair of Lucchese ropers I bought for our wedding day, but my next pair might be Tecovas.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    LGOberean likes this.
  3. hotcoffeenochill

hotcoffeenochill TDPRI Member

I got a pair of their Dean boot in black for something a little more dressed up. Ordered it in the same size all my other boots were and they fit just fine. Very comfortable, will be getting a pair of their Cartwrights once my current cowboy boots finally bite the dust.

LGOberean likes this.
  4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Get out that old Nancy Sinatra album. Hope they work for dancin' too.

Fretting out and LGOberean like this.
  5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

They are made by hand in Leon Mexico. Almost ordered a pair myself, until I found it only cost $75 to get my old ones re-soled. Next time.

LGOberean likes this.
  6. fasthand

fasthand TDPRI Member

I have perused their site many times
    I like their version of a Chelsea boot

LGOberean likes this.
  7. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Hope it works out for you. I can't imagine buying shoes without trying them on first.

nojazzhere and LGOberean like this.
  8. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

Given where we all are, I was hoping that it was "New Tele Day!"

LGOberean likes this.
  9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Congratulations on the new kicks! I can't buy online or from a catalog as things never fit right. Sizes aren't standard, but I suppose if there's a particular brand you like and hav bought before you can do it. I hope you enjoy them!

LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

Now I feel like the perfect fool for not seeing that acronym possibility myself! :eek::oops::rolleyes:

Fretting out and johmica like this.
  11. LGOberean

Yeah, like I said, this is my first time to ever buy boots online, or any kind of footwear, or apparel, for that matter. I thought long and hard on it before pulling the trigger on this deal. Tecovas boasts a very good exchange/return policy, or I wouldn't have done it. And they claim that you just order what size you already have in your closet, or in my case, my boot rack (made of horseshoes)...

Boot rack, loaded - 12-24-15.jpg Boot rack, empty - 12-24-15.jpg

...so that's just what I did. If that advice turns out to be wrong, then I guess I'll find out how good their exchange/return policy really is. Hopefully, this won't be a failed experiment/one time deal.

12. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I will confess that I'm feeling a bit let down that you won't be revealing your new tambourine.

13. LGOberean

Yeah, I had heard that they are starting to open some retail stores. IIRC, the nearest one to me is San Antonio. But if this online method works out, it'll be much more convenient.

Glad to hear that the fit was fine for you. I have hopes that it will be the same for me. I ordered the Jackson in Chestnut color, and a matching belt, BTW. The Jackson's the one that's square toed. Given my wide foot, I tend to like those better.

Yeah, Texas company, MiM product. I'm good with that. I have three pairs on my boot rack now (see pic above), and all three need to be re-heeled/re-soled. I'll probably do that with at least one of those three pairs, reserving my Tecovas for Sunday-go-to-meetin' boots or dressier occasions.

I've perused their website so many times any pop-up ads I get now are either for Tecovas or Sweetwater Music.

14. LGOberean

Maybe this will help...

Dan R likes this.
  15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Far out man!!

LGOberean likes this.
  16. LGOberean

Okay, FedEx made the delivery a little before 3pm. I don't know the exact time, because I was in the bathroom at the moment (TMI?). But when I got out, I thought, "Check just to be sure." And there they were, sitting in plain sight on my front porch. That's a bit disconcerting to me, but that's an issue for FedEx, not Tecovas. And I've got nothing else to complain about, so...

Right. I've got nothing else to complain about! The belt is really good, and the boots are great! The fit is almost 100% perfect. I say "almost 100%" because they're not broken in yet, so they're a bit stiff to walk around in. They're snug, but perfectly comfortable. There's an ever so slight bit of slippage of my heel in the left boot, but my heel stays in the heel cup, so that's normal for new boots.

So, very happy customer here. I doubt this will be my last pair of Tecovas. Here's the photographic evidence, 'cuz it did happen, y'all...

06-18-2021 -Tecoas Jacksons & belt arrived - 4.jpeg 06-18-2021 -Tecoas Jacksons & belt arrived - 8.jpeg 06-18-2021 -Tecoas Jacksons & belt arrived - 9.jpeg 06-18-2021 -Tecoas Jacksons & belt arrived - 6.jpeg

uriah1 and hotcoffeenochill like this.
  17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear. ;) Those look nice!

My girlfriend and I were at the house of her uncle and aunt a while back, and I started idly leafing through a Tecovas catalog on their kitchen table. I'd seen their ads online, but never paid much attention much less run across anyone who'd bought a pair.

Well, Ashley's uncle Ronnie showed me the boots he had gotten and said they were the most comfortable he had ever worn in his life.

I wear ropers which are nigh impossible to find in any light color. Both pair I own are deerskin and except for some marbling in my older Ariats, they are very similar in color; I am constantly on the lookout for something lighter in color though.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. LGOberean

Leave it to you to quote that line! :)

BTW, I sang that at my seniors gig yesterday. One of the residents is an Okie, and she often requests that song. I also did "Silver Wings" for them.

I've generally worn roper boots as well. The heel on these Jacksons is what Tecovas calls a "hybrid" (1-1 ¼" height), sort of a cross between the lower square heel on ropers and the higher slanted heel on cowboy/riding boots. Of course, my new Tecovas aren't broken in yet, but if how they felt trying them on straight out of the box is an indication, these Jacksons may very well be in the running for the-most-comfortable-boots-I've-ever-worn title. As for ropers in light colors, I haven't personally looked for that option when perusing the Tecovas website, but you might visit them again. The seem to offer a lot of options.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  19. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Larry, I had a request for OFM last Saturday at an outdoor gig! Kindred spirits. :D

LGOberean likes this.
  20. hotcoffeenochill

hotcoffeenochill TDPRI Member

Glad to hear they worked out for you. Always nice when you find a brand and can stick with it. Hope they give you many good years.

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.