NTD - Squier CV '50's Butterscotch...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by oldmark, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Easy Nelson. Time and place. Let's not hijack Marks thread just to debate someone's signature line. We're all friends here.

2. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sorry about that, Nelson..... The subject has been discussed here quite a few times, and you are right about pio caps being hype, when it comes to guitar circuits.. That is why I made up the little joke in my sig. line. When I was new to this forum, I took the bait and bought myself a pio Russian Military Surplus cap, and I put it in my main Tele.. And it is a .015 value... And it does sound great... I don't believe that it sounds better than a cheap one, as far as tone, but the value works better for me.... I just leave it in there.... It was after knowing that I had bought into all the hype, that I came up with the "faster electricity" joke.. This subject is a pet peeve for a lot of members here.... or at least, it was at one time... Peace! :):):)

3. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Wow. Talk like that is sure to make you a chick magnet…

4. Nelson DeJesus

Nelson DeJesus TDPRI Member

Gentlemen and especially you Mr. Parsons my sincerest apology for not questioning and acting out on it...sometimes in correcting issues we cross barriers that are forbidden to question and in my camp I've had too many of them. Doing work I just do what customers want and it can cost me a job not too. But as for PIOs I've got 15 caps that are from '40s-60s Q-Vitamins and some are from waxed to every degree possible! I tested them and every kind of Orange,Brown,Green,etc drop and from the .015uf -.039uf and beyond and there's no doubt these do make the difference from dielectrics to PIOs!Actually the least expensive ones are just as good to me and I hate to see anyone get taken blindly! The best is I've learned a bigger lesson in humility please forgive my diligence to assert at your expense in the future I'll be more careful not to offend my fellow forum partners, we're all here for the same basics and comradery, thank you for kindness and patience!

5. Nelson DeJesus

There was a research where SRV was the main interest. In the 4 hours I spent reading it was noted that SRV would chase down any opportunity to finding specific caps mainly waxed caps coming out of old tubed radios, communication gear, older TVs, or older amps. The values given were .047uf-.1uf and the interest drew to also but secondly PIOs and older Fender friendly Mylar 225s Orange drops. Bleeders were never mentioned although I use them on certain Teles and I also use old Gibson center lug #2 output connections with .1uf depending on what I find is best to be used but it did achieve bigger tones that sound very close if not spot on SRV on 3 pickups Teles. Even though caps are aged it seems you can't seriously hook them into amps in the high voltages but as a passive medium or on minimum voltage tone controls or best on passive guitar circuits not even chancing the active pickup type where it causes an odd breakup. By all means the values are what counts not the type of medium and I test these on pickups that are wound hand scatterwound with my Mylar 225s Orange Drops that are hard to find. Look on the Klein pickup sight, great pickups and info but they also push older caps for sale with their explainations as to each of their claims, you gotta scratch your head but to each his own!

6. Nelson DeJesus

There was a research where SRV was the main interest. In the 4 hours I spent reading it was noted that SRV would chase down any opportunity to finding specific caps mainly waxed caps coming out of old tubed radios, communication gear, older TVs, or older amps. The values given were .047uf-.1uf and the interest drew to also but secondly PIOs and older Fender friendly Mylar 225s Orange drops. Bleeders were never mentioned although I use them on certain Teles and I also use old Gibson center lug #2 output connections with .1uf depending on what I find is best to be used but it did achieve bigger tones that sound very close if not spot on SRV on 3 pickups Teles. Even though caps are aged it seems you can't seriously hook them into amps in the high voltages but as a passive medium or on minimum voltage tone controls or best on passive guitar circuits not even chancing the active pickup type where it causes an odd breakup. By all means the values are what counts not the type of medium and I test these on pickups that are wound hand scatterwound with my Mylar 225s Orange Drops that are hard to find. Look on the Klein pickup sight, great pickups and info but they also push older caps for sale with their explainations as to each of their claims, you gotta scratch your head but to each his own!

7. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Sittin' down here in ol' Ala bammy , bout 1 in the morning, getting ready to chime in and enlighten everybody and I'll be dang if Ol' Nelson didn't take the words right outta my mouth...think I'll have another Jack, write a country song and just kick back..Oh how I love this place ... really.

8. CJMann

CJMann TDPRI Member

Time the capacitor gearheads started a separate thread to discuss all that stuff, just maybe. :-D

9. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I have never seen a thread go so astray so quickly.

10. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

HNGD oldmark! Love the grain on that guitar.

11. Bass Knight

Bass Knight TDPRI Member

Back on topic and I have just bought one of these and I absolutely love it! A beautiful looking and sounding guitar that is well built. Congratulations!

I had a good play on mine tonight through a Behringer v-amp - for a Vintage voiced guitar they can cover a heck of a lot of ground!

12. strat_62

strat_62 TDPRI Member

I also have a butterscotch CV Tele I've wanted one for a long time (thanks to Roy Buchanon...;) ). I love it! Once I adjusted truss rod, shimmed neck, put .010s on her I'm in heaven!

13. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

I put Ernie Super Slinky 9's on it, took all but a very slight belly out of the neck, took the bridge down as far as it would go with no buzz, then brought it all up about 1 turn of the adjustment screws...fastest guitar there is when set up like this. :D

mark

14. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

I've had mine for about 6 months. It's great. I did swap out the pickups for some Duncans (for no good reason). But it is a great guitar. Needs a good setup though. Keep putting it off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.