1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NSGD!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by P-Nutz, Jan 16, 2021.

1. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve probably had a half dozen Gibson SGs over the years, but for some reason I could never bond with them. They always “felt” cheap (used to Teles, LPs, 335s) and every one had neck dive, even with a suede strap, Bigsby, etc.

Lately I’ve been jonesin’, even though I’ve also been trying to pare down, so I started looking again. Had some certain specs in mind, but didn’t really want to drop the cabbage ...

Then I saw this locally through a private seller, and I bit as the price was right. Met a coupla shady-looking fellers at a local business, and this thing was beat to chit, dirty, gross and nasty smelling. Tore it down to its bones, bought it a new pickguard, and it turned out very nice. Neck’s a little skinny, kinda like a Yamaha SC-400 I also just picked up.

Right now the three-way goes neck/middle/bridge, but Ima rewire it to neck and bridge only, with the neck tone becoming a dedicated volume for the middle pickup, and the bridge tone knob becoming a master for all three.

7A7C8753-F421-4835-ABF6-354FD1EE4289.jpeg

25760F80-2FAA-457A-B502-73368D08F4BA.jpeg

2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

Good find. I dig the pick guard. I’ve had some older Aria guitars. They were nice. Congrats.

crazydave911 and P-Nutz like this.
  3. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I believe that's called "Frampton wiring, " and I did it on my '87 '61 reissue LP/SG Custom, and it works really great. Being able to add the middle pickup in varying amounts yiuelds some really great, distinct, usable tones that are particularly effective on an SG.

4. P-Nutz

“Frampton wiring”?! I like it even more!

Seems very versatile compared to other three-pickup humbucker configurations I’ve had.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice! Congratulations.

6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Best Les Paul I ever had/played was my Aria, absolutely STUPID for selling it

Dave

P-Nutz likes this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Very cool!

P-Nutz likes this.
  8. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Is there any neck dive on the Aria? Back in my early guitar days, SG was my dream guitar until I finally put my hands on one and the neck dive was so horrendous it was a done deal, couldn't stand it. I've tried to give SGs a chance here and there, every time I go to a guitar store I strap one on only to discover they still neck dive.

P-Nutz likes this.
  9. P-Nutz

A wee bit, but none so' ya notice with a suede strap. That's always been one of my issues with SGs, and I wanna love 'em!

crazydave911 and GreatDaneRock like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.