NSFAD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by powerwagonjohn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Great looking amp! Congrats!

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I shoulda said: it *is* a spectacular-looking amp.

Glad I was seeing the ground wire wrong; I also vote to replace all the old e-caps.

But what a score! Good one.

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Nice looking amp! Sounds like it's working normally. Starts breaking up where my Fender Reverbs do with humbuckers, later with Tele pickups.
    Since you're new to the "modern" Fenders. :)
    Reverb is only on the Vib channel, unless modded.
    On the Deluxe and bigger blackface style amps, the vib (or is it trem?) only works with the footswitch closed or some other means to short the RCA jack. (The smaller blackface style amps, Princetons and Champs are the opposite, RCA jack open and the trem works.)
    If you don't have a footswitch it's pretty easy to find a female RCA jack from an old VCR or something and short it out. That'll get the trem working. (if it's going to work)
    The reverb is the opposite, no footswitch or shorting jack required, unless you want to shut it off. (Do people do that?)
    The channels are out of phase, due to one extra stage in the reverb channel. So if you're used to running a jumper on your obsolete older tweeds or brownfaces, you'll notice some weirdness with this modern design. :)
    Personally I'd change out the white Mallorys. They won't burn the house down like bad filter or bias caps. I just haven't had a lot of luck with them holding up. Might be the cold up here? @Silverface out in southern California doesn't have problems with them.
    Conversely plate resisters seldom cause problems for me. Again I contribute that to the climate, long winters with low humidity. AKA freeze drying.
    Speakers wise that Uhat is probably not very efficient and sometimes that's a good thing. I've settled on a Maverick in my DR. Actually like it best on it's highest setting but volume restraints don't allow me to do that very often.

So what modern Fender you going to try next?
    After the '70s there isn't too much that interests me. Other than the Pro Sonics, the actual hardwired Rivera era amps and the custom shop stuff like an early Vibro King.

Silverface and King Fan like this.
  4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

That’s super clean, I had a ‘74 in very similar condition. It was a very good sounding amp.
    I later picked up a BD Deluxe Reverb. Pretty much any property serviced BF or SF DR’s sound great.

Congrats!

drf64 likes this.
  5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

A couple of photos of my ‘74.

46D8EF2D-DB43-4921-8D94-1E969E6985C3.jpeg DCD300BC-EF5D-495A-8218-7D5D571E5520.jpeg 9C28905C-389F-48A0-B7C4-17A842DEF422.jpeg

6. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I appreciate all the comments. I have been giving the amp a good work out since I bought it and I am very happy with it. Although I like the original Utah speaker, I can't help myself and tested out a couple other speakers last night. The Altec sounded great but won't fit because the OT hits the speaker frame, next I tried an older Celestion Greenback which I didn't care for. Finally I put a re-coned Jensen P12N. It fits fine and sounds glorious and not as ratty as the Utah, although ratty can be good sometimes. I will pick up a set of quality E-caps and have them installed. Where do you guys buy them?
    Bobby, as for my next amp, I have to hold off for a while as I am running out of room. There is a Lab L-5 amp on CL for cheep but I must resist. I do see the Prosonics come up one and a while. Some day there may be a tweed in the mix. The Custom Shop, hand wired 57 Fender Twin I passed on last winter still haunts me.
    Thanks John

BobbyZ and corliss1 like this.
  7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I like tubedepot.com for small parts and tubes. (no affliation)

8. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

sick amp, i'm jealous

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

www.tubesandmore.com is where I go for parts like that. They've got a wholesale side too but I'm way to lazy and unorganized to get a tax number and keep track of all that paper work.
    Last two full sets of Ecaps for two Fenders, a TR and SR cost about 50 bucks a piece. F&Ts for everything they fit and Sprauge for the little bypass 25uf-25volt caps.
    Actually there was a few other things on that order but it all came to a hundred bucks.

Oh the reason nobody uses the F&T double 25-25, that seem like a great idea because the originals were doubles in the 60s. Is simply because they're stupid big. If I remember correctly those things are longer than the board is wide!
    Most silverface used single white Mallorys anyway.

powerwagonjohn likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.