NSFAD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by powerwagonjohn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I have never owned a Silverface Fender amp, nor a Deluxe Reverb or a Fender Reverb amp so when this came up about a mile from my house, I couldn't resist. after talking to the owner I find out the amp was just serviced two weeks ago by my amp tech. My tech. told me he had re-tubed it with modern tubes, biased and all the standard service. He also told me this one was an especially nice sounding amp with all orig. transformers, speaker and reverb tank. It is a 1974 export model with the voltage selector, his friend bought it from the orig. owner who bought it overseas. It has also been serviced in 2013 with filter caps and a few resistors. So far I am really liking this amp, compared to me brown and black face amps this really does give me something I did not have before. I bought this yesterday so I definitely in the honeymoon phase still. Any comments, questions and critiques are all welcome.
    Thanks John IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0334.JPG

Attached Files:

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

wow, that is clean amp for it's age! congrats.

LiteAsh and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Personally, I think you should get a new tech :D

The ground wire seems to have broken off from the solder pile and is hanging, unless that picture is very confusing and we just can't see a ground lug because of the lighting. I've attached a photo highlighting that area, but you should definitely confirm what is going on there before using the amp. None of the electrolytic caps on the board have been replaced as well, and while they are not critical to the amp's function (as in, it'll keep working if they die) it's less than $20 in parts.

*Other* than that, it looks very clean. If you have any other pictures of that green wire that might help.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  4. drf64

There is only one electrolytic cap visible. It’s in the bias circuit and it looks new. It was glued down, which I’m not a fan of, but no biggie. The others are in the doghouse and not visible.

5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I'm not the expert in the room, but I think those 4 white ones on the board count as electrolytics.

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

:cool::cool::cool:

aerhed likes this.
  7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looks glorious.

8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Nice looking amp! Nice to find any old Fender in that good of shape, but I find clean Silverfaces especially attractive.

Don't tell my wife I said that.

Reminds me of my 69 Deluxe Reverb!

20190725_133813.jpg

powerwagonjohn likes this.
  9. corliss1

Yup - all the white ones are electrolytic too.

10. drf64

Yes, but they don’t need routine replacement. It’s the high voltage electrolytics in the power rail that go bad.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Heavy on the covet!;)

12. corliss1

I would disagree - any electrolytic has a 20 year life, max. Yes, they are cathode bypass caps, but they would still go if it hit my bench.

D'tar and BobbyZ like this.
  13. drf64

Old components changing spec is part of the mojo. If PWJ’s amp sounded like crap I don’t think he’d be posting pics right now.

14. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Congrats..Silverface's are my fav !!

15. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I agree with @corliss1 ... that green wire does look bad. Is it the household ground? Is it floating free? A simple test would be to unplug the amp from the wall and test for continuity between the chassis and the ground prong on the power cord.

corliss1 likes this.
  16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the green wire thing is lighting. To me it looks like there's a lug that blends in with the chassis the way the light hits it. Just a guess on my part.

D'tar likes this.
  17. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I have been quite busy, the wife is out for the night and I have 3 amps and 5 guitars out.
    As for the green wire there is a lug to ground and to be fair to my Tech. he only brought the amp back to orig. The amp was running 2X 5881 WXT power tubes and had several wrong/different from specs. preamp tubes. I am sure he did what his customer wanted. The earlier work, caps and resistors was not done by my tech. Since it has been a while I will buy some good filter caps and have him check the rest.
    I do have a couple comments: it seems there is a lot more gain on the Vibrato channel also the reverb only works on the Vibrato channel. The amp breaks up quickly to me, at 4-5 on the dial with humbuckers, a little later with my Tele. is this normal? I like it!
    I have tried a couple different speakers with the amp and for now the orig. Utah speaker sounds pretty good but I have to be careful.
    I didn't steal the amp but paid a fair price considering the work done and condition. My tech will stand behind all his work I have no question. The experience to me is worth the price of admission!
    Thanks for all the comments. John

dannyh likes this.
  18. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Sounds total normal.

BobbyZ and powerwagonjohn like this.
  19. corliss1

Yup - that sounds like normal behavior for this amp. Light must have been at the perfect angle for that picture so we couldn't see the lug, so that's good news!

powerwagonjohn likes this.
  20. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

IMO, they do. The effect of them dying isn't transformer-killing dramatic but they certainly kill tone as they dry up. The ones I pulled out of my Superchamp were bulging the end-gaskets.

IMG_20190622_120228.jpg

Those white chalk stick Mallory caps are 40 years old. While they won't corrode they still dry out.

This one the acid blisters weren't obvious until I lifted it out.

BobbyZ, King Fan and corliss1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.