1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NSD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mark the Moose, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

New speaker day! Last winter I built a high-power 35 watt princeton reverb kit from Weber with a 12F150. It sounded great, but I couldn't quite get along with the speaker and it was a little too much horse power for the studio. Enter the now discontinued Eminence Reignmaker. Picked one up used on Reverb. Just dropped it in and it's exactly what the doctor ordered. Extended high end releases all the sparkle of the blackface fender, plenty of lows, present mids. The kicker is the adjustable position magnet that rolls off around 7db. This allows me to turn the amp up to that holy sweet spot without making my ears bleed!

2. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

Very cool! I love the hands on stuff! What a difference a speaker can make right! While I have yet to build an amp from scratch (or kit). I have modded every tube amp I own (10 currently I think). Awhile back, I tweaked a used Marshall DSL40c, by replacing the factory speaker with a Celestion 75 watt creamback G12H-75 and a matched set of groove tubes. That amp came ALIVE! I had purchased and subsequently modded that amp after my Marshall JCM 900 4502 turned into an uncontrollable cacophonous monster of noise and static during a gig. I just recently repaired that amp, new filter caps-tubes-potentiometers reset the bias, and it’s CHERRY! I can turn that amp on (whether or not my guitar is connected/turned off) turn the amp up to max volume at 50 watt mode and ZERO HUM/HISS. I’m pretty fired up over that. My drummer was impressed as he was always asking me to do something about the static it would make at idle before it died. I really thought that amp might be done when it initially went out on me onstage. Anyway, I just wanted to crow abit about repairing it and hoping you guys might wish me luck as I have a similar amp (Marshall 4102 50/100watt) that I’m going to rebuild starting tomorrow. Different issues on that amp but I’ll figure it out.

Mark the Moose likes this.
  3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Quick update for anyone interested: Clean tone was beautiful, but I had a hard time dialing in overdrives...lots of harsh fizziness on the top end. I learned that the speaker was nearly new and not broken in, so I cranked it up with a a few chords on the looper and left it rolling for an hour. This made a drastic improvement so I'm hitting it again now. Top end is rounding off and mids are filling nicely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.