NSD. Pay attention Greta fans. $10

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Obsessed, May 16, 2017.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey Pauline Wanuts, I might get to those tubes this week. I have been trying to set enough time aside to do some A/B recording, but too many things on my plate right now. We'll see.

asnarski and Paulie Walnuts like this.
  2. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

I got the Visaton R10S-8s installed and running.

As I've said previously the R10s is similar sounding to my 1 X 10, running in the 4 X 4 and it sounds like a brighter more articulate version of the 1 X 10 (vintage Magnavox Alnico). I do need to pull the tone down, otherwise it's a bit ice picky. They are very controlable with the tone control. They are much warmer than the Jamecos, but not as warm and fat as the 1 X 10.

The volume is a little lower than the 1 X 10, but noticeably louder than the one in Greta.

The speaker break up is more of a fizz to fuzz, whereas the 1 X 10 is a crunchy snarl.

I also plugged it into my 5F1 (Weber Sig 8A-S) with the same differences as the 10. It retains much of the amp's tone, as the 5F1 Tweed Champ still sounds like a Tweed Champ. The Greta is much warmer sounding and the distortion comes on extremely fast. The Champ is smoother, the onset of distortion is more gradual and is more of a crunch.

She's still more of a '40's tone, great with old school blues styles on a smaller scale.

I expect the Visatons to get slightly warmer and looser, but not as much as you would see with actual guitar speakers, as these as these are more of a general purpose speaker. As for using it as a general purpose music player, the 4 X 4 is better, but for older music ('50's & older) the 1 X 10 sounds phenominal!

The 1 X 10 is still my favorite, but the 4 X 4 is definitely a cool option to play around with.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Tele-Meister

Sounds so cool what you got going on. Any chance you can give us a video with some tones one day down the road? I think I might be interested in trying to build one too now. But I'd love to hear it either way

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  4. Obsessed

Nice. Thanks for the update and review.

5. Paulie Walnuts

Hope you guys are all doing well and still playing the heck out of those Gretas

Obsessed likes this.
  6. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Still playing her.

I took my old Champion 600 cab, that I made an 8" baffle for and put the Celestion Super 8 from my MonoPrice Stage Right 5 watt amp into. That little speaker sounds really good with her. I popped the WGS G8C for the MP SR5 in there to try it out before I put it in it's intended destination. It sounded fabulous with her! I might have to get another G8C and make a 1X8 cab for it.

I'm still running the JJ ECC823. With this tube in the preamp, my Teles and Dano go from cleanish to crunchy, maintaining the bluesy quality that I love.

Paulie Walnuts likes this.
  7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I use mine daily for practice. I’ve been using it with a 12” speaker lately, but really like it with a 2x10 cab.

Paulie Walnuts likes this.
  8. Paulie Walnuts

Although I'm a die hard Celestion guy, WGS makes some of the best speakers around and in reviews are consistently preferred over Celestion models. You can usually try out 2 WGS speakers for the price of one Celestion that's usually made in China nowadays. I have the Jupiter 8" in my GA5 reissue and its killer and built by WGS. Whatever happened with the 4x4 you built with the Visatons? I don't think we ever got the pleasure of hearing it in action

9. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic

The Visaton R10S 4" was recommended to me due to its popularity with the Greta crowd. I'm going to put it in an Orange Micro 3W amp to see if I can sweeten up the sound some. It's just a practice / mess around amp but I'm curious to see how it does. For $8 I can't go wrong, eh?

Anyone else done something similar?

10. Obsessed

My first serious song in my new tiny recording studio is so far only using the Greta with the Visaton and some great sounding non stock tubes.

Thanks again Paulie Walnuts. Without your help, I would not be recording with the Greta.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  11. Paulie Walnuts

No problem my friend, it was my pleasure and glad they are serving someone rather than collecting dust here.

12. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

I was never able to get any decent tones from it. The single Visaton sounds great, much better than the 4X4. Too middy tone and not in a good way. Not even a vintage-y sound, just honky. The Celestion Super 8 is far superior sounding.

13. Paulie Walnuts

Gosh I'm really surprised to hear that. I thought it was going well initially. Any theory on why so unpleasant sounding?

14. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure the lack of cone surface area and voice coil diameter is killing the low end. Frequency cancellation is probably knocking out some of the Harmonic frequencies also. The single speaker in the stock cab sounds great by itself. It's possible the pine cab may accentuate the wrong frequencies also. The stock MDF cab is more neutral.

15. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

The Visiton’s frequency response is different from guitar speakers. It is a full range speaker designed for audio applications, not guitar.

It was too hi-fi for my taste. I tried it as well as a vintage alNiCo that just barely fit, and a cigar box speaker that had decent guitar tone, and pretty high efficiency.

I finally ended up with the stock speaker back in it for the low volume, and use a 2x10 alnico extension cab when I want more volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.