NSD! (New String Day)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jfgesquire, Jan 25, 2020.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Papa Joe sent me the Chet Atkins strings; those are just case candy for my old Country Gent. Thank you!

But the other sets...

D'Addario 9.5-44 on my Squier CV 50s because the factory 9-42 are just too light for me, but I still wanted something rock and roll bendy.

The other two sets are for my Nashville Tele with a mini hum neck pickup. I've used the GHS Eric Johnson set before and love the feel of the roller wound nickel, but I'm looking for a little more oomph on the wound strings.

I believe the Dunlops are nickel plated steel instead of pure nickel, but packaging is vague. It's almost like the pure nickels give up too much volume for me.

Anyone try the Dunlops before? They were inexpensive so if they don't wow me, no big loss. Changing strings is the cheapest mod.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

TeleTex82 likes this.
  2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

I really love Dunlop strings. Great rock n roll strings. Lately I have been running GHS heavy core 9-48 on my Fender scale guitar and GHS light core 10-52 on my Gibson scale guitar. I bounce around between standard, drop D, and open G tunings and these strings have been good working across those tunings.

I am about to install my first set of Stringjoys on my 8-string guitar, and I am pumped to try them out!

3. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

You’re going to try Gretsch Chet Atkins ‘Pure Nickel’ strings? Might be interesting!

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Oh no, that pack is doomed to a life of being case candy.

If I can find another pack I will try them.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

5. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

Strings are in the air!

Just this afternoon and evening I came across two youtube videos concerning strings.

This one, by Rick Beato, tested 8s, 9s, 10s & 11s. and this one, by Rhett Shull, one of the guys who participated in the tests in Rick Beato's video.

I found them both to be interesting enough that I am going to try 9s on one of my guitars. I've been using 10-46s as long as I can remember. I experimented with 11s on a Les Paul I had many years ago, thinking it would make chords sound more full, round. But I really never noticed any difference in sound, so I went back to 10-46s.

6. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.