NSD - New Speaker Day, yard sale score - I think

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by horseman308, May 25, 2019.

1. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Stopping by my local neighborhood yard sale, I found a pair of 10" speakers. One is a Jensen C10R and the other a VX-10 Celestion, taken from Vix AC10, I assume. $15 for the pair!

Now, both have some small issues. The Jensen has two small punctures on the edge in the doping, but I'm hoping that a little silicone will take care of that. The VX10 has the center dome (is that the right term?) indented. So, dies anyone have a good suggestion for fixing that?

Also, they mismatched impedance. The Jensen is 8 ohm and the VX 10 is 16 ohm. I had hoped to run them together in a 2x10 cab for my VHT Special 6. So, can anyone enlighten me on what you get impedance-wise when you try to run 8 and 16 ohm impedance together? And which tap on the amp would be appropriate?

If that doesn't work, I'll still use the Jensen alone for that amp, but I was hoping to try the 2x10.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

schmee likes this.
  2. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

Don’t know about the impedance - if your amp is at most 8ohms probably okay. Could get a third speaker at 16 ohms and wire the 16’s in series to make 8 ohms and then - assuming your amp has two 8ohm outputs for multiple speakers - you could run the 8ohm to one and the pair to the other.

As for the cone, some people ignore it, some use pins to ease it out, some use a wrap of gaff tape or painters tape (low stickiness) around their finger, and some use a shop vac. It is just a dust cap and doesn’t really affect the sound either way. Although if it was ripped it might buzz a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

On the Vox/Celestion, don't worry about the dust cap. It might bug you, but there's no real-world sonic difference. You'll probably do more damage trying to "fix" it than leaving it alone.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

If you parallel the 8 ohm and the 16 ohm speakers, the 16 ohm may be slighter quieter, hard to say if it will be noticeably so.
    The resulting impedance is only slightly different from 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel.

5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Each of these techniques seemed pretty clever. I couldn’t get the vacuum trick to work. And I didn’t want to mess with glue. The needle trick worked great for me. Hole isn’t even visible.

I wondered if just cranking it up would have bumped it back out. But I didn’t have time to reinstall it. If I wasn’t selling the speaker, I would have left it alone.

6. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you wire the speakers in series, you'll have 24 Ohms impedance. If you wire them in parallel you'll have 5.3 ohms impedance. The 8 ohm Jensen speaker will get 2/3s of the power, while the 16 ohm Vox/Celestion will get the other 1/3 of the power.

Also, the Jensen has a sensitivity of only 93.6 dBl, while the VX10 should be in the neighborhood of about 96-98. This would mean they should sound nearly equally as loud.

horseman308, Geo and nojazzhere like this.
  7. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info that's a big help. I assume that I should plug into whatever speaker tap is closest to the combined impedance? So, the 4 ohm tap if I run then in parallel and the 16 if I run them in series?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.