NSD/New Slide Day

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
Got a new slide today. I have spent the last few hours testing it out and am very pleased. My new slide is a:
20220805_161231.jpg

20220805_161125.jpg
20220805_161053.jpg

It is a Rockslide Joey Landreth brass slide. All Landreth slides are size small but have a 1/4" more playing surface than the regular small slides.
The weight is great and extra length enables full chord slides. Fits my pinky great helping to improve technique. I believe it is a keeper.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
I do like a new slide day and that looks good. Thicker and heavier than their standard maybe? Too small for me though.

A plug for a too little known UK maker

Up there with my favourite DaddySlides (from Germany) and very reasonably priced - from £18 plus postage.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
I do like a new slide day and that looks good. Thicker and heavier than their standard maybe? Too small for me though.

Up there with my favourite DaddySlides (from Germany) and very reasonably priced - from £18 plus postage.
Thanks for that link. I'm not sure how I keep losing slides but I do, and I never seem to be able to find a good one!

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for that link. I'm not sure how I keep losing slides but I do, and I never seem to be able to find a good one!
Other people like Ben's work too.

And for glass there's only one choice!

I did treat myself to a couple of Wolfram's more budget slides; beautiful but stupid prices - don't go losing them!

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted

Hello WW. Yes, they are a little heavier than regular small. If small is too little, the regular medium is same length as the JL model.
I have used the regular small for years and love it, just not quite long enough for chordal work.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Hello WW. Yes, they are a little heavier than regular small. If small is too little, the regular medium is same length as the JL model.
I have used the regular small for years and love it, just not quite long enough for chordal work.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.
I've got a medium size standard version in their swampy finish to match the Mule, but I don't get on with the various cutouts and prefer something a bit heavier so it tends to stay on the shelf.

20220806_121422.jpg

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
What is the purpose of that cutout visible on the end of the slide that's resting on the guitar?
It's for the adjacent finger to rest in. 20220806_130653.jpg
I find the edges of both cutouts a bit sharp and the idea a bit unnecessary and I have other slides I prefer for weight and length. But @Tricone likes his, so it's a very personal thing.

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
I have the Ariel Posen signature slide, also from Rock Slide, that I've really liked. I've found it especially useful for playing slide in standard tuning. I also play with the slide on my pinky and it works well there.

View attachment 1013705
Ariel Posen gets some nice tones with his Mulecaster. Good player.

I really like the bullet end slides. I use mine like a tone bar "over hand" when playing "free jazz." It works great for that. BTW, Go Dawgs!!
tmp1.gif
20220806_085740.jpg

Last edited:

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
It's for the adjacent finger to rest in. View attachment 1013728
I find the edges of both cutouts a bit sharp and the idea a bit unnecessary and I have other slides I prefer for weight and length. But @Tricone likes his, so it's a very personal thing.
Getting ready to order a Diamond Ultimate Ruby Prism, tapered interior, 7mm wall. I have to decide on length.
Thanks @WingedWords for the head's up. I have been looking for a nice,heavy piece of glass. This might do I think.

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
Here is a pic of my standard rockslide small and the Landreth. You can see the difference in playing face length. I like the patina of my old one, looked just like the new one. After 3yrs. daily use.
20220806_085826.jpg

Gotta say I love slides and the tones you can get with them. Finding a new one that you really like is akin to finding a new color you never saw before. Good stuff.

stratoman1

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've never found one that was comfortable. I'd like to see something like a glass slide cut in half, maybe a little less, lengthwise with a couple of elastic bands to hold it in place. Or something like that

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Getting ready to order a Diamond Ultimate Ruby Prism, tapered interior, 7mm wall. I have to decide on length.
Thanks @WingedWords for the head's up. I have been looking for a nice,heavy piece of glass. This might do I think.
Hope you like it - I'm sure you will. A NSD post when it arrives.

Some people get hooked - this is a festive pic of one addict's collection from Diamond's Facebook

132840024_5675550555795777_4126356170851759068_n.jpg

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
I've never found one that was comfortable. I'd like to see something like a glass slide cut in half, maybe a little less, lengthwise with a couple of elastic bands to hold it in place. Or something like that
Took me years to find my fit. Boney fingers I guess. That is one thing I like about the Rockslide, the interior is tapered and doesn't roll around when playing.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
It's for the adjacent finger to rest in. View attachment 1013728

I won't suggest you should like the slide, as we all have preferences. But those sharp edges could be cured in a few minutes with a file and some sandpaper.