1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NRGDTIPFWTL: New Refinished Guitar Day That I Procrastinated For Way Too Long

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by superbadj, Aug 1, 2016.

1. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

So I put a thread about this in Finely Finished, but figured only a few people would see it there. And it's worth more people seeing (I think!).

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/shell-brown-the-new-shell-pink.653274/

Long story short: I have a bunch of Teles, but love Gretsches as well. Have several Electromatics as well as several Pro-Line Gretsches. The best Electromatics have the "Dearmond 2000" pickups in them. They're USA-made single coils that just have amazing clarity/power/punch. Really awesome pickups.

I had one of these Gretsch Special Jets before, but ended up swapping the pickups out of it into a Pro Jet I used to have...then I got rid of them both (sold the Pro Jet, gave the Special Jet to my nephew).

Anyway, I always kinda missed the Special Jet. So about 3 years ago I ran across one at a stupid-low price and bought it. I mean stupid low. I decided to refinish it...so I used a heat gun and roughly stripped it....and then it sat. For years. Until a couple of weeks ago.

Finally got around to sanding 'er down and refinishing her in hand-wiped shellac.

Pretty awesome guitar, period. Stupid/crazy/ridiculously awesome for the price I paid.

Here's where it started: boring old typical glossy sticky thick "cherry" polyurethane. Ugh.

[​IMG]

Here she is now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ping-ping-clicka and Alex W like this.
  2. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Looks awesome, great job!

3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I like both cherry and natural, but in this case, the natural wins... great job.

4. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

The cherry did look good. But I always love natural finishes.(on good looking wood at least). Looks good.

That must have been a labor of love. It almost has me inspired to sand down a poly cover mustard colored t-type body I have here.

Edit - Happy New R........................................................................ Day!

5. superbadj

Thanks y'all. I do like a nice cherry finish...and the finish on this one was OK, but to me a nice cherry finish is one where you can really see the wood grain and figure, and the cherry just brings a different tint to it. In this case, as is often the case on more affordable guitars, the finish appeared really thick (though honestly it was quite thin) and the wood was far too obscured.

Looks and feels much better now.

Per usual, the hard part was getting the old finish off. And maybe that's why I waited so long. Once that step was 90% done I was kinda frustrated with it. But I certainly shouldn't have waited SOO long lol.

6. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

How did you remove the old finish, was it mostly sanding, or did you use solvents or other methods?

7. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Very cool, now I want to sand down my CVT. I saw pics of a natural-finished one and thought it looked SO much better than the generic red poly on mine...
    Your guitar looks GREAT!

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I like it! How would you describe the sound of those pickups in that guitar? What kind of stuff do you play? Are they twangy or something else?

9. superbadj

I have a Corvette (before the switch to CVT nomenclature) that is a FSR natural mahogany finish.

[​IMG]

I considered taking off the finish and doing this one too, and may someday. But all the contours would be trickier for sure. The slab body of the Special Jet is a little more forgiving.

dannew02 and RLee77 like this.
  10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

hey OP, that's beautiful

it's like an LP Jr version of the Roundup

superbadj likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.