Nrbq

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I saw them live numerous times and even mixed their show once when they fired Klem. One time they were touring with a pair of horn players who had previously been with Sun Ra's Arkestra. They had a tiny space on the stage for the horns, between Terry's amp and Tommy's drum riser. At one point in the show the sax player did a full back-flip in that little space. You shoulda seen the looks on Terry's and Joey's faces...

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I like Big Al and Terry's mad professor antics make me laugh out loud. NRBQ has always struck me as a band who had stayed together long enough to have their style twist into strange and wonderful. It likely helped if they were a little twisted in the first place...you know, gave them a head start.

Great song! I tried to learn it once, but I couldn’t figure out how to count it. They seem to randomly drop or add a beat here and there in some indecipherable way. 7/8? 9/8?

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
I saw them live numerous times and even mixed their show once when they fired Klem. One time they were touring with a pair of horn players who had previously been with Sun Ra's Arkestra. They had a tiny space on the stage for the horns, between Terry's amp and Tommy's drum riser. At one point in the show the sax player did a full back-flip in that little space. You shoulda seen the looks on Terry's and Joey's faces...

I got to see that lineup when they came to Atlanta. Amazing show! I saw them twice with Al Anderson, and then a few more times with Johnny Spampinato. Their shows were so much fun I’d be happy for days afterwards.

Still haven’t checked out their current incarnation, which is Terry Adams with an all new band of great players.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I was close!

I think I read when Steve left NRBQ, that playing his solo was the 'guitar audition' to get the gig!
Don't know if true or not, but it anyone could do it, it would be Al!
Oh good… I would be in trouble . That is some hot pickin in that solo. I like how he seems to really take off. Like he gets going amd then keeps accelerating or something, until he achieves lift off . I do t know , that solo is so good .
The guy was good . I found out recently he’s deceased unfortunately

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Oh good… I would be in trouble . That is some hot pickin in that solo. I like how he seems to really take off. Like he gets going amd then keeps accelerating or something, until he achieves lift off . I do t know , that solo is so good .
The guy was good . I found out recently he’s deceased unfortunately

The only reason I even know of " FFF" song, is back in the late '80's ( later CD's in the '90's - same recording),
I bought a 2 - Cassette ' Best of NRBQ' collection ( maybe RHINO, in chronological song order) and it was the first song!

I think " Howard Johnson's got his HOJO Workin'" was one of the next songs up...

Lots of great tunes, 2 long CD's worth!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I always loved this T-birds version of It Comes To Me Naturally

I was in a fun blues band in the '90's with 5 lead singers ( 2 guitars, harp, bass, drums) we all took turns, every song, ha!

" It Comes to Me Naturally" was one of the bass player's tunes. Great R&R!!

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
One of my roommates from freshman year was a degenerate trust fund baby from Long Island. He and his prep school buds were obsessed with NRBQ. He was mortally offended that the only NRBQ song I could name was "Ridin' In My Car." For that reason, I conscientiously avoided liking NRBQ for a few years. I've since come around.