1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPUD Sullivan's

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Strato50, May 23, 2018.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

If you have not tried Rick's pickups...you really should.. I have 2 Tele's with them ..I used one on our last CD..that are fat..but have that twang ...best of both worlds...Made in Austin TX. You will be blown away at the tone of these..I guarantee it.:)

2. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

I have looked at their Strat pickups on ebay, they seem to be a good deal but their website does not have many sound bites or videos. I have seen some videos on youtube but not a lot. I am currently in the market for a Telecaster set any chance you can post some clips?

3. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I will over the weekend...been bowed up working on my house....I will have some time to sit down this weekend.

4. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Here is the bridge pup off our last CD ..a cover of Nick Currans "Psycho"

5. Chewy

Chewy Tele-Meister

Just jumping on this old thread to say that I got a set of TFL-55's in from Sullivan the other day. They were great to deal with, and swapped in A5 magnets on the neck pickup for me by request.

Really, I think with pickups, the spec is what gets you most of what the pup delivers - and these fell right in with what you would want from a slightly hot, but generally vintage set. They act and sound the way they should - this is the first qualifier for a good pickup (poles were the right gauss, windings good, etc.)

the other part is the intangible presence of character and their personality - and here it's usually whether they have personality or not. I have bought proper spec pickups that fell flat, and it's always a gamble, regardless of price.

So these pass the first test as well as the second. They do what they should and they have personality to boot.

There is a really nice singing tone in the neck pickup - does what it should (something between a strat neck pickup and some sort of hollow jazz tone) with a clear and pleasingly deep, present note. Really nice.

Middle position has plenty of bloom and spankyness when you dig in, sweet and clucky when you play softly.

Bridge has grit and texture, can scream and growl, still sounds like a tele, albeit a little fatter and rockier.

Nice pickups. Competitive price, good service, do what you need them to do and have the personality and character you'd hope to get out of anything from the pricier big boys on the market. Two thumbs up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.