NPTGD! (new pignose travel guitar day)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tap4154, May 10, 2011.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VERY cool little travel guitar! The built-in amp sounds just like the little Pignose 7-100 we all know and love, and this guitar will even feedback on itself, like playing in front of a tube amp! Also has a headphone jack and can be played normally though an external amp. The stock HB pup reminds me of my stock Squier '51 HB. Nice mid-rangy tone.

Got it from Bruce at Aamp's guitars in Lake Arrowhead, who I highly recommend! I ordered it on a Wednesday, and received it on Friday, with only standard shipping (came directly from Pignose HQ in Las Vegas).

http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com/pignose/pignose_mini_electric.html

However... the guitar had a bunch of issues, including a badly buzzing logo and metal speaker grill, horrible fret sprout, and a bad neck overall (no action even with a loose truss, and funky grain).

But this is why I'm recommending Aamp's guitars (he also carries all kinds of neck and bodies etc.)... I emailed Friday evening about the issues, and before 8:00 AM the following Monday (yesterday) he replied that he's contacting Pignose to resolve this, and an hour later emailed that a new guitar was being shipped. In fact they overnighted it, and it arrived at my door today!(Tuesday).

YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT for customer service :D And that goes for Pignose as well, which didn't hesitate to ship a new one.

This one has no issues, sounds better (amp is louder, clearer and punchier) and I love it!

Oh, and Pignose said to just keep the other one for parts... Can you believe it?

So if you decide to order one, or anything from Bruce at Aamps, no worries. He will make it right if a problem arises, and so will Pignose.

2. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

That's just straight up cool business practice there. I mean, if it's that bad, they probably don't want to sell it anyway, so why waste the postage paid, just let you keep it for the good bits.

3. tap4154

Yep, a great business move IMO. This first one had so many issues I wouldn't even sell it cheap. Just keep it for parts to play with, or make a beater out of it.

Here's a quick demo I just made:

4. mickmac

mickmac Tele-Holic

I dont understand??????????????????????/

5. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Once for a hoot, we miked a Pignose thru the PA back in the 70's. Sounded awesome. Aamps is a great place to do business-he has better prices on necks than anyone. That's a sweet little guitar; I didn't realize they made them.

6. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Interesting concept for a guitar.

7. tap4154

I saw these years ago, but had forgotten about them. Been looking at travel guitars lately on the 'net, and ran into them again.

I just put some new EB 10-46 strings on and it really came alive now! Also sounds great through my regular practice amp (25R). Not just a great travel guitar, but perfect for couch concerts :D

I also put a different bridge on. Because of the tiny body you rest your picking wrist across the bridge, and the stock one wasn't very comfy. This one is a Hipshot knockoff I found on eBay for $15, and feels great! Nice and smooth and rounded off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Hotel Bravo

Hotel Bravo TDPRI Member

Flashback to YEARS ago, I just got myself a Pignose, identical to yours. Hate the stock bridge, the way it feels. The Hipshot style one you replaced yours with looks great. Did you have to drill new holes to mount it?

9. tap4154

Wow, a flashback to 2011. To be honest, I don't remember if I drilled holes, but probably did. Still have that guitar, though I haven't played it in years. Surprised to see the pics now appearing. I guess Photobucket changed their policy again and now allows hosting of old pics, because I never paid them dime.

10. Hotel Bravo

Hotel Bravo TDPRI Member

Fair enough and thanks anyway. I'll figure it out!

11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

That is way cool! Enjoy. :cool:

12. tap4154

Thinking back, I'm sure I drilled new mounting holes, but it was a very easy install. BTW, only reason I haven't played it is because I've just been busy and focused on other things the past few years. Still think it's a great little travel or couch guitar and has a great neck.

13. Hotel Bravo

Hotel Bravo TDPRI Member

Thanks for the afterthoughts. Helpful. And yeah, neck is great.

tap4154 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.