NPD x2 | EHX + Earthquaker

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Decided to shake things up yesterday with a couple of new pedals.

1) EHX Memory Toy. I already had a couple delay pedals but I wasn’t completely happy with either. After waching some YouTube reviews, and looking at the price, this pedal seemed like a no-brainer. The added chorus switch is a nice bonus, and the delay itself is simple, sweet, and organic.

2) Earthquaker Devices Plumes. Like most people here I have had several overdrive and distortion pedals. I haven’t really loved any of them. This one is definitely different, mostly because there are a lot of nice growly low gain tones to be had before it erupts into a mess of fuzz, fizz, and hiss. On the other hand, if I ever want a mess of fuzz, fizz, and hiss… that’s available too!
DAA3C9F3-649E-4A7C-9764-DA698F7259BD.jpeg

On my mini-board.

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Wah should be first, even before tuner unless it’s true bypass.
That’s the convention. It’s not the law. In this case the wah was not playing nicely with my Memory Toy, unless it followed it.

However, the Memory Toy turned out to be defective and was returned. Replaced by a JHS Delay, which is equally straightforward, but actually works. I ended up taking out the wah pedal anyway. New 4-pedal setup is this…
79075179-0415-4C09-8F6E-53DE00093FA2.jpeg

And if I ever decide to add the wah back to the chain, I’ll use my ears to decide where I like it best.

allesz

Tele-Holic
I like the wah after dirt pedals, it gets more like a synth filter with the added harmonics.
Btw I had a similar bad experience with the EH Memory Boy: it played weird with other pedals, sometimes providing an exagerate boost when engaged; It was also quite temperamental with power supply and daisy chains.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I like the Memory Toy, but it's not the ultimate delay. However, it needs 9.6V and does not work with some adapters.

I also prefer wah after delay.

middy

Friend of Leo's
Wah sounds best when it sees your pickups’ impedance directly, like a fuzz face. But whatever sounds good to you.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I like the wah after dirt pedals, it gets more like a synth filter with the added harmonics.
Btw I had a similar bad experience with the EH Memory Boy: it played weird with other pedals, sometimes providing an exagerate boost when engaged; It was also quite temperamental with power supply and daisy chains.
Me too. Cocked wah after fuzz, going into a delay = heavenly.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Wah sounds best when it sees your pickups’ impedance directly, like a fuzz face. But whatever sounds good to you.
Yeah, they can be picky creatures for sure. But as you say, whatever sounds good. Sometimes that weird interaction is beautiful.