NPD: Wilde/Bill Lawrence noiseless Strat pickups - excellent

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Thoughtfree, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wilde/Bill Lawrence noiseless Strat pickups, ordered off the website a few weeks ago. I just put two into a Duo-sonic-like guitar built for me, a long time ago.

They have threaded metal inserts for the mounting screws, with built-in soft plastic spacers. Easy to install on a pickguard - you don't have to hold a spring in place. Brilliant.

Wider-spaced pole pieces on the bridge pickup than on the neck pickup. Another excellent feature.

They produce a bright, full-range tone. A lotta treble, but in no way are they harsh-sounding. It's been many years since I owned an actual Strat, so I can't say how close they come to that. But it's a very nice sound. No noise that I can hear, at all.

(I am running a Fender no-load 250K tone pot with detent, also recommended; it comes with its own capacitor.)

I ordered them off the website. No documentation came in the package - you gotta go to the website for wiring info.

I would recommend them. I would buy them again.

IMG-3255.JPG

2. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Used Bills pickups when I was green teen....still have them...now I am just green with age ;)
    There are some extra options for bridge pickups if you want even more...you bought L-280's?
    I am using first generation Micro coils on my three single style Ibanez RS135, plus two L-500C and R plus a L-45 in the middle on my HSH Ibanez RS135, with a Pro-line maple neck.

3. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I learned about Bill and Becky Lawrence from TDPRI a good while ago. After the first set of noise-free singles, I was a convert. I don't know a whole lot about pickups (despite having tried to understand Bill's technical articles), I just know that, somehow, the Tele sound we all want comes through without the hum. And because Bill and Becky didn't advertise like crazy, they could pass some savings down to their customers. The value of their pickups is simply hard to beat.

NWinther likes this.
  4. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

L290S bridge, L280S neck.

dajmacd and NWinther like this.
  5. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Nice :) Have fun!

6. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Good products from good people. How can you beat that?

BB and NWinther like this.
  7. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been gigging 290TLE tele bridge in teles and a L45 strat pickup in a mandolin for quite a few years now. Oh, I also use one of their steel guitar pickups in one of my steels. I guess you could say I’m a fan.

8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

9. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Poster Extraordinaire

Cool! I got the same set in a strat.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They're pretty good. Try Bill's dual blades! Coco has been using them for years.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking about getting some noisefree pickups for my Strat , the Wilde dual rail models look pretty good and a lot cheaper than Bardens. Probably sound as good too.

12. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I had a Bill Lawrence blade neck pick up on my Tele back in 82. Loved it. Congrats on the new pick ups.

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

What makes pickup upgrades stressful is not knowing until after the upgrade whether you’ll like them or not. Noiseless pickups eliminate 60 cycle hum but they can be lifeless. I wasn’t happy with Vintage Noiseless pickups. @Thoughtfree , you did well. Good for you. The VN pickups are gone from my Strat now. I replaced everything with an Ultimate Luxe loaded pickguard from Stratosphere. Four solder joints and I was done. And I like them. They don’t twang, they sparkle so they’re nothing like the CS ‘69 pickups in my CS ‘69 Stratocaster. Nothing beats a choice you love. @Thoughtfree , you got it right on the first try. Good for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.