NPD: Wampler Belle...

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
I used to have a Nobels ODR-1 quite a while back, but never was able to bond with it and could never seem to dial it in right. I've been on a bit of an OD and dirt pedal bender lately and one of the pedals I've picked up is the Wampler Belle. Of all the pedals I own and have bought recently I'm enjoying the Belle most.

It's a very versatile and responsive pedal. I love how easily the pedal cleans up based on your attack, is very touch-sensitive and inspires you to play more. It's a match made in heaven with a Tele (OV pickups) and a Deluxe Reverb (Tone Master). It took no time to dial in a great edge of breakup, low to moderate grind while still retaining clarity and allowing you to dial in (or dial out) the low end that I never liked about the ODR-1.

I bought this pedal shortly after I picked up a Wampler Pantheon Deluxe and although they are radically different pedals, the Belle is hands down my current favorite. Considered returning the Pantheon because it's not really impressing me with single coils, but it does sound great with humbuckers, so I may keep it.

I'd seriously consider checking out the Belle if you are into cleanish, edge of breakup tones for country leads, chicken pickin' and also is killer for rhythm playing.

Last edited:

Whoa Tele

Friend of Leo's
I used to have a Nobels ODR-1 quite a while back, but never was able to bond with it and could never seem to dial it in right. I've been on a bit of an OD and dirt pedal bender lately and one of the pedals I've picked up is the Wampler Belle. Of all the pedals I own and have bought recently I'm enjoying the Belle most.

It's a very versatile and responsive pedal. I love how easily the pedal cleans up based on your attack, is very touch-sensitive and inspires you to play more. It's a match made in heaven with a Tele (OV pickups) and a Deluxe Reverb (Tone Master). It took no time to dial in a great edge of breakup, low to moderate grind while still retaining clarity and allowing you to dial in (or dial out) the low end that I never liked about the ODR-1.

I bought this pedal shortly after I picked up a Wampler Pantheon Deluxe and although they are radically different pedals, the Belle is hands down my current favorite. Considered returning the Pantheon because it's not really impressing me with single coils, but it does sound great with humbuckers, so I may keep it.

I'd seriously consider checking out the Belle if you are into cleanish, edge of breakup tones for country leads, chicken pickin' and also is killer for rhythm playing.
I’ve got a Pantheon deluxe as well and like you I prefer the Belle . I wish he’d make a Belle Deluxe

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
A couple of months ago I picked up a Belle, and I agree, it's so great! I too play a Tele (1973) into a Deluxe Reverb Tone Master (plus a strat and a Jazzmaster), and the Belle is just so great for all of the things you mention. I never owned a Nobels ODR-1, but reviews conviced me to go for the Wampler, and I'm quite pleased. Stacks great with a Tumnus as well.
Last week I picked up the Pantheon (normal version), and I'm also quite happy with that. Again, never owned any other BluesBreaker/MorningGlory/KOT type pedals, so couldn't compare it to them, but I'm liking the Pantheon! Now I just gotta find the sweet spot for each of the pedals, and find a setup that gives me different options, different levels of gain, and at the same time getting the best sound out of each of them.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve got a Pantheon deluxe as well and like you I prefer the Belle . I wish he’d make a Belle Deluxe
I'm sure he will eventually. What about a Belle on one side and a TUmnus on the other? I'm also thinking about checking out a Paisley drive or a Paisley Drive Deluxe. Had a Paisley Drive many years ago but thinking since my tastes and playing has changed (improved) I might be able to appreciate it this time around.

vinicmag

TDPRI Member
I just got that new ODR-1 with bass cut today and I am quite happy with it.

I play a avri 52 hot rod tele and a 2012 standard strat with fat 50's pups, all through a 65 DRRI. I tried stacking a wampler tumnus after the nobels and it sounded great.

But I am convinced that the belle must be an amazing pedal because everything wampler I've ever played always impressed me.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
I just got that new ODR-1 with bass cut today and I am quite happy with it.

I play a avri 52 hot rod tele and a 2012 standard strat with fat 50's pups, all through a 65 DRRI. I tried stacking a wampler tumnus after the nobels and it sounded great.

But I am convinced that the belle must be an amazing pedal because everything wampler I've ever played always impressed me.
I was on the fence about trying one out again but decided to go with the Belle this time. It's one of the easiest pedals to dial in with a Tele.

Last edited:

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Belle and loved the sound. This is when I was going down the rabbit hole of finding perfect tone - tried this pedal through a Supro 12 Blues King. And I wasn't fond of the stock reverb on the Blues King so I also had an inexpensive reverb pedal through it. Sounded pretty dang good.

But then, and this is the honest truth, I did an unexpected 180 and became a minimalist and reverted back to my Fender Mustang GTX100 and I am content.

I still daydream about going further minimalist and opt for a Tone King Falcon Grande (built-in attenuation and reverb) or the Cornell Romany 12" (also built-in atten. and rev.), as more and more of my playing styles fit those amps, in my humble opinion. In my mind, a guitar, a cable, and 'the right amp' is heaven.

But, back to the Belle ..... the one adjective that immediately came to my mind when playing with the Belle was crisp.

Wow, it was just super crisp in a trebly manner, but not trebly in a bad way, in a great way.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
I got both the Nobels and the Belle, tried them out at a few gigs and the Nobels went back. The Belle just sounded better, altho it's quite a bit more $.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
UPDATE: Bought an ODR-1 and compared it head to head with the Belle and the ODR-1 destroyed the Belle. Wasn't even a fair fight. The Belle sounded boxy and restricted compared to the ODR-1. Maybe it was jsut my rig and signal path, but I was shocked at how much better the ODR-1 sounded. More natural, more dynamic and cleaned up better and more touch resposive. Although some don't care for the added bass with the ODR-1 it pairs exceptionally well with my Vibro Champ Reverb with a 10" speaker.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
UPDATE: Bought an ODR-1 and compared it head to head with the Belle and the ODR-1 destroyed the Belle. Wasn't even a fair fight. The Belle sounded boxy and restricted compared to the ODR-1. Maybe it was jsut my rig and signal path, but I was shocked at how much better the ODR-1 sounded. More natural, more dynamic and cleaned up better and more touch resposive. Although some don't care for the added bass with the ODR-1 it pairs exceptionally well with my Vibro Champ Reverb with a 10" speaker.
I loved my ODR so much I got a Belle just to compare. Like you, I felt the Nobels just a had a certain magic the Belle was lacking... the Belle felt gritty and less-nuanced in comparison. Then I tried a Boss OD-3, and though that one lacked a *bit* of Nobels sparkle on the bridge pickup, it felt maybe more useable on the other Tele settings.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
I loved my ODR so much I got a Belle just to compare. Like you, I felt the Nobels just a had a certain magic the Belle was lacking... the Belle felt gritty and less-nuanced in comparison. Then I tried a Boss OD-3, and though that one lacked a *bit* of Nobels sparkle on the bridge pickup, it felt maybe more useable on the other Tele settings.
I have an OD-3 packed away somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and do the comparison!

The thing with the ODR-1 is initially it may not sound like many would expect it to given all the hype it's had over the years. But after playing it for a while and getting lost in it, and then switching to another pedal, you immediately realize what it does, and it does it well. So many other OD pedals really end up compressing the dynamics of the amp and end up sounding squashed/boxy. The ODR-1 retains the characteristics of the amp and keeps the open-ness and dynamics more than other OD pedals. The only other pedal I have that comes close is the King Tone Duelist. Might have a slightly "better" overdriven tone than the ODR-1, but again, it sort of robs the amp of some of its dynamics. I'm really enjoying having just those two as the only OD pedals on my board at the moment.

Last edited: