1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD: Wah wah waAaAaAah......wacka! Vox Clyde McCoy v848 (reissue)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Apr 20, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

This just arrived today, in minty new condition for being almost 20 years old and still has the original protective plastic suffocating Clyde's face on the bottom. Got it for about the price of a new 847-A, so I was happy about that.

Its maybe a bit brighter than I'd want it to be in toe down, but sounds really good, especially with humbuckers. I'm sure I'll get used to it as I don't care to cork-sniff wah pedals. I always loved the look of the Vox chrome accents and this particular unit has a grey base instead of the customary black. Kinda looks extra vintagy that way...I like it. Also made in the USA - something I was not expecting and had not noticed before.....wonder who built it for them...

30DF577B-E39D-4A58-ADB3-8F902A814FC4.jpeg 1410DD56-D193-45EE-AF61-41A2386A13B2_1_201_a.jpeg 6B771EBF-37A3-4B09-9B92-310A9547849C_1_201_a.jpeg A44C9F1E-CE2B-4880-A6F1-2CAB3264D885.jpeg 79EA8803-4940-4EE2-A958-EE8E816F4B0A.jpeg AC1D562A-532F-4D3A-8A30-4DF51B46679F.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    bobk, VWAmTele, jjudas and 9 others like this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! Looks very similar at first glance to a gutshot of my original Thomas Organ CryBaby.... Mine doesn't have an external 9V power supply jack, and the input/output/switch wires are soldered to the main circuit board rather than clipped in. But this design is from 2002 and mine is from somewhere around 1978.

3. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

A Thomas Organ Crybaby only has two transistors, so you must have a super special version. Here is a link to the Vox Showroom with images showing that the two predominate versions of 70's era Thomas Crybaby. As you can see they have 2 transistors. The layout is also very different, so I am having hard time seeing a 70's era Crybaby being the same as the V848 pictured. Is your circuit board stock? The housing would be the same though.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/misc/crybaby.html

This article is a good overview of how the Crybaby was developed. Brad Plunkett is a genius level designer. He also designed the UREI LA-3A Optical Compressor. Both devices have been heard on countless tracks.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/18699/cry-baby/

If you want your sweep to be less bright, then loosen up the screw that holds the shaft that goes into the gears of the pot, and adjust the sweep to taste. It might take a couple of minutes to figure out where you want the travel to be, but this is pretty easy to do. I believe Dunlop built most Vox wah pedals from 1993/94 until 2006...Vox Showroom is your friend. These were made by Dunlop. I have never heard one of these V848 pedals, but it would have to sound different from a standard Crybaby. It has double the caps & resistors, so I would assume the sweep is more smooth with less quack. Cool score whatever the case:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/misc/v848.html

bluesholyman likes this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I got the Fulltone Clyde wah.

Ringo, VonBonfire and bluesholyman like this.
  5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Super cool. Congrats! Enjoy your NPD.

bluesholyman likes this.
  6. chris m.

I just meant how it looked. Not the circuit design itself. I'll provide a gutshot when I have time later....

7. chris m.

Here’s a gut shot of mine. Probably less value than unaltered original because I modded it to be true bypass and put in a Fulltone inductor. EC383860-E081-4A32-B8FD-B54C673FD76B.jpeg

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

If you play live that bright end of the sweep range might be perfect for cutting over the band. Nice pedal, the Vox is a great unit.

Also a great unit. I had one of the first 1500 or so Clyde standard units from back in the late 90's. I always appreciated the extra sweep range the enclosure offered. Mr. Fuller wasn't very pleasant when I needed it fixed; dude actually gave me attitude for not having a return authorization number so I divested myself of his pedals. I had no idea I needed an RA. This was ten years before I had internet, lol.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Don't blame you for getting rid of them. Any manufacturer should fix their product if it's within the warranty period and at least fix for out of warranty at a decent price.

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I have an old Thomas Organ Crybaby, I did true bypass to it, and I think I changed one resistor, the original pot is still good, so I'll use it until it dies, I have a replacment. It looks pretty much identical to your Vox as far as the circuit, mine has the so called stack of dimes inductor.

11. chris m.

Mine is also a Thomas Organ crybaby, not a Vox.

12. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

George Harrison says, Wah-Wah. He approves.

13. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

Back in early 1983, I bought one of the first-run Dunlop Crybaby pedals. The guts looked similar to this one. Although I probably sold mine long before the end of the 80s, I recall that it sounded good, but not exactly the same as the 70s units. What I remember most clearly was how scratchy sounding the pot got within two years after I bought it. I’ve owned a lot of wah pedals in the 35 years since then, but I never had one that got scratchy like that (and so quickly).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.