NPD - Vintage Ibanez CS9

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jondanger, Jul 14, 2020.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I saw this on Craigslist down by my parents house about 2 hours away. I go there every week or two to check in and take care of some chores, so I figured if it was still up the next time I was headed that way, I'd see about scooping it up. Well, today was the day.

Man, now I know why you guys never turned these things off in the 80s. Even in mono, what a wonderful 3 dimensional sound. I've had plenty of modern choruses, and while most have sounded good in the store and during the honeymoon period, none have quite had the . . . whatever it is that this one has. A richness? A lushness? A waterbedness?

And it goes nice with my vintage AD9 :cool:. Now if I can just find that 1982 TS9, we'll be on our way to a solid all vintage black label Ibanez pedalboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Congrats - that thing looks like it has seen some beer spillage.... :lol:

jondanger likes this.
  3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Probably my favorite Chorus.

jondanger likes this.
  4. jondanger

My folks live in a town by the Chesapeake Bay, and the guy I bought it from had a boat on the trailer out front and an Analogman shirt on, so either beer or maybe some brackish water. In either case, it still works!

5. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

A buddy of mine in Overlea had the same pedal last time I was at his place. His aunt gave it to him, he had no idea they were sought after.

jondanger likes this.
  6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I grew up south of Annapolis, on the South River...

jondanger likes this.
  7. jondanger

My folks are on the other side of the bay on the Choptank.

8. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice. Congratulations.

jondanger likes this.
  9. jondanger

Well folks, we almost had a catastrophe today. Last night while I was playing with this thing, it started making an intermittent crackly and occasionally whooshing sound. Kind of like static through a flanger. Today when I got off work (working from home, but you know what I mean), it was passing signal in bypass and engaged (LED on), but there was no chorus effect. What the hell?

So I opened it up to find this:

[​IMG]

Yup, that's the wire that goes to the output jack. It must have been hanging on by a thread. I soldered that back into place, but still no dice. So I poked around on the board until I found a spot where I was getting some intermittent chorus effect. I reflowed 3 or 4 solder joints in that area and we're back in business.

Someone has definitely been inside this thing. It looks like all the wires from the pots to the PCB have been resoldered. I called the guy I bought it from, and he said he had cleaned the switch and jacks, but nothing besides that. I don't think he was trying to pull one over on me, it's just what you learn to deal with when you like old stuff and you're a cheap b*stard like me.

Just goes to show - when something isn't quite right, sometimes you have to poke at it with a popsicle stick for a while and then touch it in the right place with something hot.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Great pedal! So warm and swirly. I have the reissue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.