NPD - Triangle Big Muff Pi Clone - I Think (+ Jazz Chorus 40 content)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TokyoPortrait, Jun 13, 2021.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Wandering through a mall today on a different mission, but popped into a chain musical instrument store, just for a peak. Noticed a used Donner Stylish Fuzz. Only ¥2,200, which is about US$20. Not all that cheap considering how little they go for new, but still, I had to buy it.

The internet (including TDPRI) informs me this is probably a clone of the Triangle Big Muff Pi.

Which might mean it will sound like rubbish in my amp. Vox AC Top Boost type amps (like mine) by all accounts don’t sound great with Big Muffs, but thought I’d chance it. Serious studying going on at home tonight for upcoming tests, so I’m forbidden from noise making. The Vox trial will have to wait until tomorrow.

But tell you what, it was really nice in the shop into the Roland Jazz Chorus 40 I tried it with. And tell you double what, the JC 40 on it’s own blew my mind. It sounded absolutely fantastic.

As long as I left the amp’s ‘Distortion’ knob on zero and played it clean. The cheap Donner sounded better than the amp’s distortion. But clean, it was gorgeous. Not news to many I know, but it was a new experience for me.

Oh, and note the pedal’s sustain knob is labelled Bustain. One of the reasons I just had to buy it. Seems it’s been like this though years of production though, so probably deliberate, or they just don’t care.

Shared a gelato with my daughter too.

015A105A-A9C9-48E2-85EC-C6642A4DB4A4.jpeg

D6D9DD07-47B9-4DE8-9D2E-8AE22C5E7165.jpeg

31CC8152-3C07-4572-AB6A-C690F12A80AF.jpeg

Pax/
    Dean

greenhornet likes this.
  2. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

Okay, that was a surprise. This Donner Stylish Fuzz (Triangle Big Muff clone) is much better into my Vox Top Boost amp (AC4HW1) than I thought it would be. I was expecting it to sound a bit meh, and to be something I might only use when I went out of the house and used different amps. But, I really like it so far, and can see it being totally usable.

Works best for me & this amp on moderate fuzz - i.e. with 'Bustain' set moderate, anywhere between say 10 am and 2pm. The tone knob comes across as having quite a wide range, which, as well as adjusting tone, affects the overall sound. I like that though, as it has proved useful for dialling in a nice (to me) smooth fuzz sound, but, combined with the 'Bustain' knob, it can help it to go more spitty too at the treble end if I want.

Anyway, happy. Seems good for a cheap thing.

Pax/
    Dean

Bluego1 and MisterZ like this.
  3. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

That's a happy accident. Do you have a Triangle Big Muff Pi? Interesting to hear your comparisons.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

No, this is my only Big Muff style fuzz. In truth, it’s probably enough. A silicon Fuzz Face however….

Pax/
    Dean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.