1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD The Rat To Rule Them All

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Killing Floor, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Just wore off some skin with my new Lab Rat from Sushi Box. I'm a big fan of Nate's secretive pedals, he makes about 40 devices per month but they are worth the wait, this is my 4th Sushi Box and this is going straight to my board without passing GO! Imagine the Rat you grew up with, but way louder, dirtier breakup AND tube drive thickness...

This is a tube rat. It obliterates any other rat pedal on the market. The drive goes into the tube without the boost on. 12AX7 is a dual triode, so it has two stages; Lab Rat uses one of the stages as an output stage on the drive, and the other stage as a clean boost after the drive, so with the boost and drive both on you're cascading one overdriven tube stage into a clean tube stage. This also has silicon and LED diodes that are accessible by a switch. So far the SI diode is my preference, it sounds a little fuller to me.

This thing is straight up amazing. Holy cow, I'm out of breath. The Boost is totally unnecessary, It's way over the top of my clean channel volume as it is. I'm in love with a Rat.

The only down side I can see is all your Rats are now rendered second rate, sorry about that. Go get one!
    upload_2021-3-8_15-15-48.png
    upload_2021-3-8_15-16-59.png

2. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I’ve looked at his website before. Everything looks interesting, just not a lot of info/reviews/demos out there. Glad you’re enjoying it, congrats!

3. Killing Floor

Not many demos. Pretty boutique. Not crazy expensive, just limited. I think he's got a day job. The preamp type pedals generally have a bunch of sound clips on the site.

D_Malone likes this.
  4. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Interesting. Tried to love my tc Tube Pilot and officially gave up on it this weekend.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

CongRats!!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  6. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought the R.attack and I feel guilty every time I use it because the original is pretty cheap and the company is in my home state. Not sure the pedals are made here anymore but...still.

Killing Floor likes this.
  7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

9. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

HA!

10. Killing Floor

Copy and paste from website. Pretty easy.

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

How can a tube function with just 9 v power?

12. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Beware threads with a lot of tags that contains marketing verbiage in the OP. :D

MilwMark likes this.
  13. Killing Floor

Good question.
    He makes a micro tube version and what he calls “X” version with 12A— tubes. The micro versions use 9V and the full tube uses 12V. My guess is that’s a lazy screen print but not totally sure. I know I have to use 12V.

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Even 12V DC doesn't seem like nearly enough to run a tube, certainly not enough to provide pre-amp clipping. I believe a 12AX7 typically runs anywhere from 100 to 250 volts DC.

15. Killing Floor

I have 2 preamp pedals, an Alembic F2-B/Fender Bandmaster tone stack, and an Ampeg tone stack, both have single 12A— tubes. They are 12V l. They have to warm up and they pull a lot of current for about 5 minutes. Then they lighten up. I also have a compressor/leveling amp pedal that uses 2 full 12A— type tubes, 12V. Again, they pull a lot warning up.

16. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I just did a quick Google search to be sure. Good news: all other rat pedals on the market have not actually been "obliterated" as of Tuesday afternoon.

So if you want a RAT pedal and don't want to spend $200 for one, there are still lots of choices out there. All is well.

17. Killing Floor

I was waiting until after dinner to start obliterating. Family first, destruction of other people's property second.

MilwMark and JuneauMike like this.
  18. JuneauMike

This is from their website. https://www.sushiboxfx.com/labrat

It takes a standard 9V input, and can accept center negative or center positive inputs. It uses internal regulators to supply 6V to the tube heaters and 200V to the plates, giving it the richness you expect from a full high-voltage preamp.

CURRENT DRAW NOTE: Like many Sushi Box pedals, this one uses a tube, which means current draw is a bit higher than a standard pedal. During warm up it will pull around 620mA on a 9V input, and when it has finished warming up it will pull about 470mA on a 9V input.

X-Series: It takes a 9-12V input, and can accept center negative or center positive inputs. It uses internal regulators to supply 200V to the plates, giving it the richness you expect from a full high-voltage preamp.

CURRENT DRAW: While we haven't profiled X Series yet, you can expect current draw requirements to be ~350mA @ 12v.

(Current draw should go up as voltage goes down, right? Check me on that one. So the 9-12v version should probably use 470mA when it's plugged into 9v). Cool pedal and all, but its basically an Easy-Bake Oven at your feet. Only it doesn't give you fresh cookies at the end. But still, if that's what you are looking for, it's cool.

And I like that he's making pedals other than Distortion/OD. Not a lot of independents out there making delay pedals or multi-effects stuff. Good for him.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    MilwMark likes this.
  19. Killing Floor

He's a cool dude. He's active on some other forums like TalkBass (I'm also a bassist) and what I like is that you can make a request or ask a question, if the request is valid he'll test it and report it out and implement it of there's interest. It's boutique but not $500 pedal boutique. Plus ordering a pedal like this is like little Easter eggs, it pops up in your mailbox a few months after you've forgotten it.

JuneauMike likes this.
  20. JuneauMike

Well, obscure pedals are cool. I get tired of seeing the same old names, and same old art on my pedal board. Independents are fun to look for.

Killing Floor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.