1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD - T Rex Room mate II... But no box!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by NorthenLights, Mar 4, 2021.

1. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

Got myself a t rex room mate tube reverb this week! I've been searching for a good hall reverb for a while, and I have a soft spot for tube driven stuff, so when I sae this unit for a good price, I just could'nt resist!
    It is very natural sounding, and decently versatile. The hall sounds huge, but can also be set more subtly. The spring setting is convincible. I still prefer my vsn Amps Sole mate for this type of verb, of course, but as the t rex is condsiderably smaller, it certainly suffices for the times I don't want to bring that big unit. Lo fi adds some sort of modulation to the decay. I don't think it will be a part of my sound, but I could see myself using it in the studio for some different texture.
    The gain knob is great for adding some slight compression through the tube. That's probably the secret to why the u it sounds so good. I've had a hard time bonding with digital verbs before, but this feature makes it sound so much more organic.
    My only problem is that the reverb responds a bit uneven in regard to picking dynamics. When playing lightly, the effect is barley audible, but when attacking the strings aggressively, it almost gets overwhelming. I guess I have to learn how to set it properly, but I wish there were more of an area in between all or nothing.

But, there is one big dissappointment. I didn't get the box! I have never cared about boxes before, and always thrown them right in the trash, but ever since watching that cursed JHS show on Youtube, I feel like it's not a proper NPD without the box, manual, and preferably some stickers as well. I now grieve every box that I have lost through the years just because I have been deprived of being able to exclaim "I have the box!". Damn Josh and his contagious collector ways!

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

You can enhance your life by enjoying T-Rex pedals while ignoring JHS/Josh.

3. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the new 'verb!! A tube verb to boot!!

I have found the box useful for the joy it brings on the day the pedal arrives and the protection it gives on the day it leaves.

In between, the box imparted no tonal improvements.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.