NPD...soon..HELP!!! I can’t look away!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 68Telebass, Jun 2, 2020.

1. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

OK, I don’t have a lot of pedals- But....that seems to be about to change.

When I gig, it’s on the bass, so I have a rudimentary “pedalboard” of three that I use- a Boss CS-3 comp (an “always on” front end of chain- usually mild settings Of about 12:15) a Boss Bass Chorus for a “touch of modern” on some songs that need a little “extra” :), going into a Behringer Bass DI 21 preamp/DI out into the board, and into whatever amp I have going on..Usually set at about SVT to color the signal from “dry” to...well...SVT!!!

I have a few guitar pedals for noodling around home- Mooer Shimverb, Mooer Green Mile OD, and a venerable Danelectro Tuna Melt tremolo unit. Also have a Mojo Mojo OD unit, but our drummer currently has that to use in the “real band” He fronts playing guitar.

Well with our practices on hold for another few weeks, and a few mod projects on hand to keep me busy, I’ve been window shopping for pedals. I’ve been looking at fuzz pedals, and watching a lot of demos from Shane on the Blues Channel (he’s out of Australia??- seems like a nice guy).

Wow! Now I know what a rabbit hole I’ve jumped into!!! Si or Ge?? Etc etc. the flavors are ENDLESS!!!!!

I seem settled on the Caline line of cheep clones, as they are ridiculously priced and won’t be relied on in a gig situation. (But Bass + Fuzz = John Wetton w/King Crimson BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! I Need that arrow in my quiver!!!!).

So, there is the Fuzzy Bear-germanium with only two knobs- demo seemed to reveal some limitations with the “level” settings- needs to be dimed or nearly dimed....

Then the Clear Veil OD/fuzz - that seemed really cool, and I was leaning hard in that direction, but...seemed to be more of a moderate gain to a tame type of fuzz that would “play well with others”. Not a bad thing, but I want FUZZ like Billy Gibbon’s beard!!!

So that left the Candy Floss and the Puffer...after poking around and reading a few reviews- the Puffer seemed a good place to start! Also mentioned that it sounded cool with bass tipped me to ordering that Puffer fuzz pedal.
    upload_2020-6-2_0-12-50.jpeg

Since they were do reasonably priced, and it was my birthday last week, I treated myself to a Caline Wine Cellar as well- another Bass DI/preamp that may offer a bit of change from the Behringer DI, which is the clone of the SansAmp...It very well may be the same circuit under the hood- I’ll have to side by side them to figure it out unless anyone here has used them!! upload_2020-6-2_0-7-23.jpeg

So I now have two new pedals on the way, but I’m now thinking...Delay? There is the Blue Ocean pedal....Another drive with boost?? That Crazy Cactus looks like fun...

This is a real deep rabbit hole I’ve jumped into!!! That’s not even considering that Clear Veil fuzz I was thinking about- Need (At least) two fuzz pedals, Right???

Now I need a pedalboard/bag to keep ‘em organized- Need two, actually, one for bass and another for my home guitar noodling...

Help, and any thoughts/experience with these (budget) pedals heading my way would be great- I think I’m going to be a regular in this 12-step Forum (...accept the things you cannot change...etc.)

2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

The Puffer is a good fuzz, I forget what it's supposed to be a clone of, but I like it. Cleans up nicely w/ volume knob. Enjoy!

stormsedge and 68Telebass like this.
  3. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

I tried the Pure Sky (timmy clone?) by Caline recently and it was fantastic so I imagine the Puffer is probably also a solid purchase

68Telebass likes this.
  4. TommyBaltimore

TommyBaltimore TDPRI Member

68Telebass likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Cool man, it's a rabbit hole for sure. Couple of ideas:
    1. Consider starting out with a multieffects if you want to explore a million different sounds and aren't going to be gigging with it (you can gig with a MFX just fine, of course, but they can be annoying to use on a stage if you need to change anything). Then once you have a better sense of what sounds you really want, you can chase pedals more effectively.
    2. Lots of people swear by the cheap Chinese clones, I own 5, and the only ones I have used regularly - a Joyo Phaser and Joyo Something (OCD Clone) both broke for no good reason, I didn't do anything particularly rough to them. And they aren't really as great a bargain as they seem. I just paid $60 for an EHX Small Stone Phaser (to replace the broken Joyo), versus around $40 for another Chinese clone that might not last a year. EHX, MXR, Dunlop, Boss, even some Fulltone and Keeley pedals can be found in great shape, lightly used, under $100. They are also easy to flip if they don't end up getting used.

68Telebass likes this.
  6. 68Telebass

I have heard the inexpensive clones can just stop working. Also Joyo seems to be mentioned a lot with that issue. Caline sometimes as well, but not as often in my short searching...also must look at the Kmise line- they are even cheaper- about $20 a pop- might get the phaser from them.
    As for a multifaceted multi unit, I’m on the side of components rather than integrated I think...just old school that way I guess-
    Thanks for the info!! This is a new source of GAS for me. Must keep it under control, cuz I want to save up for a Tele guitar- have a bunch, but no just plain Jane Tele yet...

7. 68Telebass

Tommie!!!! That thing is soo cool!!! Hook it into a looper, and just play solo!!

it would take a lot of time to get the most from it, a midi controller to throw any presets onto, but WOW!!!

Me likey!!!! But my wife would have to enact that “I need to bury a body” pact I’m sure she has...just too much INSANE GOODNESS...I would quit my job just to squeeze out all the coolness this pedal offers....

Like I said in the title- “...I can’t look away..” - Thanks for showing me that- does it come in a cheap $30 Chinese clone yet??? Lol

8. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

I've been very happy with my Caline Pegasus (Klon clone) but I'm a home player. Low noise, seems well put together. I've been using a Reverb retailer in Canada, All 4 Music, who seems to have good pricing and ships pretty quickly even with pandemic... She sells Joyo and Mooer also, and I have a Mooer Radar on the way from them now. I'll probably pick up a Caline power supply next..

68Telebass likes this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Fuzz alone is a rabbit hole. My advice is create a max limit on pedals by getting a board that only holds that many and buy used. Once you reach the limit you have to sell one to buy one. And focus on pedals you expect to use a lot.

68Telebass and pugnax like this.
  10. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

The best cheap pedals I’ve played have been from Valeton - especially their Katfish envelope filter.

11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Since you are talking mostly to Caline purchase, I'll say I have the Puffer, Clear Veil, Ultra Chorus, and the Drifter Seven Delays. All are good pedals. No issues with them, but I am an at-home performer.

Note, I purchased the Caline pedals abt a month ago on a fuzz expedition (like you)...I also purchased a Joyo Voodoo Octave, which is a more in your face fuzz---I've used the octave side quite a bit, but I've not quite dialed in the fuzz.

68Telebass likes this.
  12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

For fuzz typically you need to decide if you like the fuzz-face branch of the fuzz evolutionary tree or the big muff branch....those seem to be the two major phyla. The octaver feature is another one-- I guess that's the Octavia branch of the fuzz tree. Some people use a separate, clean octaver, and run that into a fuzz.

68Telebass likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.