NPD! Sib CUDA Tube overdrive!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dreamingtele, Dec 5, 2019.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Picked this up today at the post near my office. I cant wait to go home and try it out with my rig and test it out this coming Sunday!

Its not a starved plate design, and it claims to have a 200V current running inside, and actually uses the tube, I really dont know, and cant be sure as Im not an electrical engineer nor a pedal builder, and I know little in electronics.. but I'm more concerned on the tone, and also to test the waters... I dont know whats the fuss about Kingsley pedals, or other tube overdrive pedals, so naturally I got curious, and saw this selling for half the price of a new one, and new ones dont exist anymore.. so yeah..

SweetClyde99 and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve seen pedal designers say that a lot of tube in pedals are useless
    All I know is I have a B.K Butler real tube and it sounds awesome

Let us know how you like it

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats!!

4. dreamingtele

it sounds nice. I use it as a second stage drive after my Timmy and it rocks. LOTS of gain on tap, and tone controls, the EQ is tweakable which i like better than the OCD with just one tone knob.

though I miss the headroom and tone of the OCD v2 at 18v, but there’s just something I cant put my finger on why Im not satisfied with it.

with the tube inside the pedal, well, it might be just some gimmicky thing, not really sure. I dont have the knowledge to look at the circuit to do an analysis, but There’s a few peeps on TGP forum that changed the JJ 12AX7 inside to a lower gain one and got great results.

im just glad I got it for a cheap price, than paying for it full retail.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. dreamingtele

yes sir, it sounds like that!

love it with my tele’s. But the real test is using it on my gig this Sunday. We’ll see how it goes.

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I haven’t done much research into these types of pedals
    Do you know if they still function if the tube goes bad?
    I’ve never changed mine and it still sounds fine with the tube that came with it from who knows when

7. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

That's a great pedal. I have two of them, one on my large and one on my small board, and they serve as my main sound source at all my gigs.
    These are real tube pre amps, no BS, but real high voltage.
    One of the best pedals I know, and I have tried some. Better than almost all solid state pedals.
    Less grainy and more dynamic than SS overdrives. Fat but transparent.

With a long plate 12ax7 mine sounded still better.

Congratulations!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  8. dreamingtele

thanks!

i love it actually. Better than my OCD v2, and its off the board onto the classifieds to sell. Lol.

although I find that there’s just lots and lots of gain on tap. I’ve bought a 12AU7 and waiting for it arrive to try it out and see if I can tame all that gain and be more useable in the second stage gain position. The 12AX7 in there is a bit too much for my needs.

overall, the sound is pleasing and organic. The highs are not harsh and the tone seems to be transparent and not coloring my sound too much, which i like. I just need to learn how the EQ/tone controls interact with each other as it seems to be a bright pedal through my rig.

9. dreamingtele

Two 12AU7’s arrived! Really excited to try these one out.

12AU7 Pro/comm
    [​IMG]

12AU7 Mullard (Brit made)
    [​IMG]

hoping for favourable results!

10. dreamingtele

NOS tubes for this one. Hopefully this will tame the gain a bit and have a more useable range.

however, im unsure what the 5751 does to the tone though. Will it reduce mids? Lows? Highs? Can someone explain it? All i know is that 5751 has 70% amount of gain compared to 12AX7.

[​IMG]

zippofan and Hari Seldon like this.
  11. dreamingtele

@Hari Seldon Finally got a hold of another one, I think this is V2 based on posts on TGP... with the black PCB. I definitely had the V1 before, which I sold earlier this year. I kind of regretted it a bit, and I've been searching for another one, on and off, ever since.. I think I got lucky this time, as I got the power supply and manual..

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

I couldnt find a reasonably priced NOS 5751.. I wish I hadnt sold my Jan Philipps.. so I bought an Tung-Sol 5751, and a EHX 12AY7 to test out.. The 12AY7 greatly reduced the gain, which I kind of on the fence with.. It sounded okay, but I have to go around 60-75% on the gain knob to get it to break up.. I took it out right away..

The Tung-Sol 5751 kind of sound a bit dark.. I remember the Jan Philipps NOS 5751 I had in my previous one sounded brighter.. but the Tung-Sol is sounding thicker which I like, and switching to the bridge of my ES330, is where this pedal shines for me.. thick, growly and with enough clarity to cut through.. still have to re-learn the EQ controls..

I may look for other 5751 to put in this.. maybe try 2 or 3 more 5751's and see if I end up with a good one.. I definitely left out the 12AX7 as it's too much for my needs..

sanfi4u likes this.
  12. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

So, replacing the stock tube with a 12AY7 will reduce the gain some? I might try that. I’m after a bit less OD these days. Still like that pedal a lot, though.

sanfi4u likes this.
  13. dreamingtele

Yeah, and will be able to get that Drive knob higher on the dial rather than breaking up at around 9 oclock..

The 5751 is great, however I tried the 12AY7 again and played with it, and thought this is better for my set up.. my guitar seemed to breathe more rather than having a fuzz-y top end with the 5751.. Still a lot of gain on tap even with 12AY7's... the EHX is a great tube.. I think I'll be buying more 12AY7's than 5751.. unless I find good NOS Jan Philips 5751 again..

I do however, kept my Mullard 12AU7, and will put it in there and see how it goes..

I really like this pedal.. I dont know why I sold my first one.. I couldve had two by now..

14. dreamingtele

@Hari Seldon

bumping this thread..

have you studied the circuit?

do you know if the Sib Cuda’s gain is coming from cascading the tube? Or is the tube being pushed by a transistor like for example, the Kingsley Harlot?

15. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Sorry, I don't know...

I only know the VOX Vox Tone Garage Straight 6 pedal doesn't even bother to heat both triodes...

But I strongly suspect the cuda is the real thing.

16. dreamingtele

okay thank you, i thought you know something about it. Ive been hunting NOS 5751’s as that tube seems to give the best balance of gain to clarity ratio I want out of the Cuda.

i tried 12AY7’s and while it’s good, it lacks the liquid type gain I want to use the Cuda for.

17. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Not the exact answer, but anyway....
    AFAIK Cuda is a compact version of the Varidrive. I believe the main circuit is quite similar: JFET preamp (seems Cuda has 2 JFET stages) into 2 Triode based Class A gain stages. So it delivers a natural tube distortion. No clipping diodes in the circuit. Unfortunately no one cared to reverse engineer the exact schematic (including myself). So there's a portion of guessing in what I say. Anyway the main difference is the power supply. Cuda uses DC-DC converter to get 200V plate voltage from 9V delivered by the external power supply. DC-DC converter is based on NE555 pulse generator.

18. dreamingtele

Thank you so much!

I guess thats the info Im after.. Just really wanted to know if the tube inside, even if it's not starved plate design, is actually really being used for the gain stages and for the tone.. since changing tubes actually changes the gain texture and tone..

It compares well to my Kingsleys actually, although its a bit on the liquid gain style, rather than the more dynamic style of Kingsleys and thats where the Cuda fails in comparison.. the dynamic range is very limited but it doesnt make it a bad pedal, just not the design I guess?

[​IMG]

SweetClyde99 and sanfi4u like this.
  19. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

I love your board! What else would you expect to hear from the guy who owns Jester, Maiden and two Cuda pedals? :)
    I'd just make one note. It's a pity loosing your tone, carefully constructed by the quality overdrive section, at the follow up delay/reverb section. Unfortunately many delays and reverbs deteriorate the dry sound to certain extent.
    The pedals that are more or less free form this sin are Skreddy Echo, Belle Epoch Deluxe, Memory Lane 2, Dr. Scientist The Atmosphere, GFI Clockwork Digital Delay V2, GFI Specular Reverb V2.. Just to mention a few. Food for thought for the possible future upgrades.
    Nevertheless, you've done a great job. Enjoy your pedalboard!

20. dreamingtele

Thank you so much sir.. a lot of research and patience and a LOT MORE saving money involved in building this board!

You know what sir, I've been thinking about that.. but I had no choice to get thes DD and RV500 for now.. good to know that the GFI Specular Reverb is good, because thats in my list to upgrade my reverb! on the delays, I'm still searching for a better one.. I dont like the Timeline. hehehe

and oh, the Maiden is a Page TS.. Simon doesnt have enclosures for the Page TS as of the moment. hehehe.. so its basically Sib Cuda -> Page TS -> Jester..

sanfi4u likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.