NPD Ronsound Hairpie 1865 #10

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by chesire, Aug 27, 2014.

1. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Can't wait to get home and try this out.

image-554277261.jpg

image-3682263467.jpg

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome. Its gonna sound better than the vintage Muff. Ron is the man.

[​IMG]

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats, chesire!

4. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with that one!
    Congrats

5. chesire

Thanks guys. Just unplugged to make dinner. It doesn't disappoint. Best Muff.

I've had a bunch of them (NYC, Black Russian, nano, mojo hand, BYOC triangle) but the only other Civil War variant I've tried is a GGG. To be fair the GGG is a very good pedal but the 1865 has a TON of sounds in it, particularly with the mid switch. In just half an hour I found everything from Nasally Bee to Soft Germanium with a stop at The Wall.

The Civil War varieties are creamy and sustain. If this had been my first muff I may not have tired the others but it's even better because of my misspent youth.

6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Some might say that tuning for a pleasing range of particular Muff sounds isn't really that difficult, and your comment with the GGG clone actually makes that clear - very good, which isn't to be discounted, but Ron's made something that clearly goes well beyond that.

I'm so GLAD you got the last of the ten. While there are a lot of cool Muff variants right now that some folks seem to love, many are built in much higher numbers than the RonSound stuff. Even Skreddy builds in higher numbers! :eek: IOW, a LOT of people are going to miss out on what they could consider to be the best, hands down.

I think I could honestly say that if I were someone like Gilmour and I came to the U.S. looking for someone who could replicate my favorite old ram's head and a pair of Civil War's, that I would definitely go to "the one called the EH Man." While there might be no magic involved, Ron seems to have a solid handle on what "the essence is." If you consider that the older EHX stuff is notoriously inconsistent in both componentry and sound, that is really quite the feat.

And not to knock manufacturers of the various Muff derivatives, but how can 'the best Muff sound' be achieved if there seems to be a default focus on adding improvements? Does that make sense? In a way, they are already sort of off course from square one.

Someone might point out that Ron's pedal is no different because it has the mid toggle. I'd beg to differ, as IMO it's a super conservative add-on, and in the off position, I'm certain you get the original C.W. sound.

7. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

now i have no experiences with muff's but am curious now as i dig davids work. huge floyd fan. and fronm the other thread on the civil war muffs. sounds like thats the one to try.
    chris.

8. chesire

This makes a lot of sense, and makes me proud to own it. Ronsound is in a short address book, in my mind, of the best builders, the guys who make it fun and rewarding. (MHP, Mr Black, Wilson, Peptone, Hatmann, Ronsound)

Ron is the right kind of magician, the one who applies experience, logic, engineering and craft. He removes the magic at the expense of his own profit margin, because if he played it right he could be as "mysterious" as the other magic builders and charge more, but he'd rather be a craftsman. That is the Telecaster ethos right there.

I can't tell if this is a great fuzz that becomes a distortion or a great Distortion that becomes a fuzz, which is AMAZING. Tone machine vs. 1 trick pony.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  9. chesire

They are a lot of fun and instant Gilmour with a strat. A clean tube amp, a strat, some slow bends and bang you're outside the wall

10. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Brilliant idea getting that pedal. I love my Hairpie w/mid toggle. I've found boosting mine from the front is good during certain passages and also running a boost behind the Hairpie sounds tasty for certain passages. Enjoy it.

11. theehman

theehman TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

:}

12. Lowbassnotes

Curious will there be more 1865's produced at any time in the near future?

13. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Hair Pie? Is this Trout Mask Replica in a box?

14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Big Muff... Hair Pie...

15. theehman

theehman TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I've been building a few in non-painted chassis. I have one left over at the moment.

16. chesire

Lowbassnotes, its 100% the real deal. I'm in love. It covers the whole spectrum. I've had Skreddy, I've had Mojohand, I've had a few of the EHX oldies but this thing is versatile, crunchy and angry when it needs to be. All good.

17. Lowbassnotes

Sent you a Email, hopefully that one is mine.

18. Lowbassnotes

Figured I better jump on the very last one and I doubt I'll be disappointed. No graphics on the case means it'll match a bunch of my other stomp boxes too.

The "classic" (triangle) I have is great, woofy, rosy, very musical, good bass response and tasty violin sustain. It also has the mid boost/cut option which is very handy.

It'll be interesting to compare the 1865 with the triangle version.

19. Lowbassnotes

Got my 1865 today, played it through a couple different amps with a couple different guitars so far. Wow it's an incredibly warm fuzz sound and it's distinctly different than the standard Hairpie(triangle muff). Both chords and single notes sound great, very pleasing.

I plugged them in side by side and A/B'd the tones, the triangle muff is warm but the 1865(civil war) is noticeably warmer with great creamy sustain(both do but just a bit different favors). Both have the 3-way mid-cut toggle which works well and is a very handy feature to have(an option on the standard Hairpie which is well worth the $)

Both these pedals sound lush and musical, IMO Ron does some pretty darned good Muff pedals. I've had the Hairpie triangle version for about 6 months and have not tired of it one bit, I'm expecting the same will hold true with the 1865.
    [​IMG]

20. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I ordered a Ram's head last week and everyday is an adventure waiting on the mail. Did you get any notice that your pedal had shipped out? I can't wait to piss off my neighbors.

On another note it looks like we got our carpet from the same supplier.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.