NPD Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe: Is this thing optical?

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Just picked up a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe plus for about $200 of trade value. After ten minutes of playing, it lives up to the hype. It's hard for me to imagine a better device for capturing that Hendrix tone.

My question is this: is the Voodoo Vibe an optical univibe, or something else? I've heard that throbbing light bulb is the only way to really capture quality univibe tone. If that's true, I'm assuming this must be optical. It sounds too good not to be.

Anyone out there who can school me on this thing? Any fans of the voodoo Vibe who want to share their favorite settings? I've got a feeling I'm gonna have to put in some serious floor time tweaking this one to find my favorite sweet spots.

J-Flanders

Tele-Meister
My question is this: is the Voodoo Vibe an optical univibe, or something else? I've heard that throbbing light bulb is the only way to really capture quality univibe tone. If that's true, I'm assuming this must be optical. It sounds too good not to be.
It's optical but not using the single incandescent bulb inside a metal box:
univibe.jpg

Inside that metal box in a Uni-vibe there's 1 bulb + 4 photocells:
fulltone-old-univibe-cells.jpeg

I see the Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe has 4 pairs of LED+photocell each wrapped in heatshrink:
vvplus.jpg

Inside the heatshrink there's a pair of these:
homemade-opto-1.jpg

LED-LDR.png

Last edited: