1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD: Pure Sky OD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Hatfield92, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ordered a Pure Sky overdrive a couple of days ago via Amazon. It arrived late this morning.

For anyone who doesn’t know, it’s a Timmy clone, supposedly.

I had been using a DeltaLab TO1 overdrive, kind of a TS knockoff. Through my 6G2 with 12” Eminence Maverick, the Delta pedal just made it sound even boxier. Basically, I was getting a muffled, middy kind of sound. I also experimented with a TC MojoMojo, but that one was way too dark.

This Pure Sky pedal is exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like my amp breaking up. The range of overdrive I can dial in is great. All I’ll ever need.

Bottom line: it’s a great, cheap overdrive pedal. It’s particularly great for anyone who’s running through a tweed or brown fender amp. You don’t really want a pedal to mess up the tone you’re getting naturally.

For some reason, certain people apparently take offense to using the term “transparent” to describe this kind of pedal, but that’s exactly what this baby does. Best $30 I’ve ever spent on a pedal.

2. Hatfield92

I posted the above while my girlfriend was napping, and as soon as she got up, I started playing around with it again. I just can’t get over how much fuller my sound is now. That TS knockoff eliminates so much of the bandwidth.

3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Pretty much bought every “Timmy” clone and the Pure Sky and Danelectro CoolCat Transparent OD V1 are the best.

but it just made me want the Timmy more. Ive waited for a long time to find one used and I bought one. The difference is noticeable and the EQ is more powerful on the original Timmy, and I sold off everything.

also in my opinion, and my opinion alone, if anyone deserves support in the effects world, it would be Paul C so I stopped using clones of his pedal.

4. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I was about to say the same thing about the Dano CoolCat Transparent OD V1, great pedal but getting pricey lately,,,

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah I had one. I think I bought it because it was supposed to be Timmy like. I didn't like it that much and got a Timmy. The Timmy wasn't likeable for me either so I guess it IS good clone! Ended up with a Barber GC for my needs.

6. Hatfield92

My ideal setup would be no pedal, just a guitar plugged straight into a great sounding tube amp pushed to just the right spot. This gets me there.

If my opinion of it doesn’t change, I’ll likely go ahead and get a Timmy when this wears out. My big concern with the Pure Sky is reliability.

7. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Bought a couple of weeks ago - Pure Sky, just because I sometimes use an EHX Magnum 44 amp with no tones on. Usually I go with Soul Food, Boss SD1 or Rowin Dumbler. This OD with great tones on goes somehow the same direction, also has its own voice, I mean I get sounds that I don't find in my other OD's. It also works great as boost or in series with any other OD.
    Great pedal! Especially for the price (bought it sh...)

Hatfield92 likes this.
  8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I've deliberately ignored Timmy clones; Paul C stands by his pedals like nobody else I've ever even heard of. If I need a Timmy style pedal I'll be picking up a real one. The pedal market is full of boutique hoo-hah and magic nonsense. In this one situation, there is a tangible reason the original is better, the guy backs the product.

In literally every other situation, I'd look at cheaper alternatives. But I've heard good things about the pure sky, sound wise. This very specific time theres just a reason I would spend more.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  9. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Same here. I typically am all about the money, but I figured that the real Timmy is not that expensive, so I wanted to give my business to Paul.

10. dreamingtele

there a V3 already out but its always out of stock. I’m waiting for the hype to die down a bit and I’ll order a new one once it hits Australian stores.

There are tons of clones, some of which are even more expensive than the Timmy, which I dont get.

to me, the Timmy is worth it and Paul C is the man.

awasson, ReverendRevolver and jman72 like this.
  11. Hatfield92

I’m sure he’s a great guy.

But I currently have a very limited income and am basically living on savings at this point.

$30 vs at least $175? No-brainer.

FenderLover and Keefsdad like this.
  12. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

'Financially embarrassed' guitarist here.

I've been selling off all my 'boutique'(ish) stuff and substituted in a mini-pedal bargain board (Mooer, Kokko stuck to a chopping board. ), but I've held onto my Timmy. I've had it eight years (I think) and it just keeps on giving.

Paul is one of the good guys. I totally understand the £££ argument. However,I guess that - knowing how good it is - I'd get by with something cheap until such time as I could afford one. (And there are so.e amazing mini pedals out there - take a bow, Black Secret.) NB - he's one of the only guys I'd do that for.

awasson likes this.
  13. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

$175- they must have gone up? I got mine new (surf green) for $129 a few months ago. It's still a steal as far as hand-made USA-based pedals are concerned. But I get it, I go cheap when I can and am not usually concerned about such things. No judgement here.

14. Hatfield92

175 is the typical price on Reverb. I hate waiting lists, man. I had to wait nearly 3 solid months for my custom 6g2 build and it nearly killed me.

Now that I know what they sound like (ballpark), I could see myself ordering one down the road. Especially if one of the groups I’m rehearsing with starts gigging with any regularity.

jman72 likes this.
  15. dreamingtele

hey, no judgment here. I get it.

i use a Klon clone because I cannt afford a Klon KTR. I bought the chinese ebay clone. Not the boutique RYRA, mythican Od, Wampler Tumnus, etc etc. they’re all too expensive for my taste.

What im saying is, i managed to snag one when I saved up for it. 10 dollars a month, for one year. Boom I have a timmy by Christmas.

awasson, Hatfield92 and jman72 like this.
  16. d-rock

d-rock Tele-Meister

I went the Pure Sky route because of the rising prices and limited availability of the Timmy.

The Pure Sky is a fantastic sounding pedal. It's a gateway drug to the Timmy, which I will purchase when the supply goes up.

Hatfield92 and kevsonic like this.
  17. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Hey Everybody.

Paul Cochrane is working with MXR and they will be releasing an MXR Mini Timmy.
    I'm in.

Hatfield92 and kevsonic like this.
  18. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Paul C. could obviously charge more for these, like $200, so I would buy a real one. They are very well-priced and I respect Paul's decision to keep them so.

But you could build it yourself:
    [​IMG]

ecoast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.