NPD/PSA - Ibanez Mostortion MT-10

telerocker1988

Tele-Afflicted
My new acquisition I got off of Reverb.com.

309r028.jpg

14xe6bb.jpg

I got it because a lot of my Nashville friends are using them and I love the modern country guitar sound. It's becoming almost as big as the Nobels ODR-1 over there and I love the ODR, so I had nothing to lose by trying one.

First off, on it's own it's a perfect medium gain overdrive. It's great for a step up past your first gain stage be it an amp or another pedal (for me it's the ODR-1). It's really crunchy. Warm yet bright enough to appeal to me. It can do low gain, and higher gain but it excels as a medium gain box to use with other overdrives before or after it.

With the Nobels ODR-1 it's really a perfect match made in heaven. I could seriously see myself getting them rehoused with True Bypass and in a dual enclosure with it going ODR-1 into the Mostortion. I'm not sure I want to get them together in case I want to use seperately but the two together could totally be a swiss army knife. That, plus a higher gain pedal for the high gain guys, or a boost pedal like the RC Booster for us cleaner guys could totally do almost everything.

I highly recommend this pedal to those who are looking for the perfect mate for their ODR-1 as a next gain stage thing. It's like an OCD but better for me.

These are kind of a secret weapon but will likely become more known like what happened with the Nobels, people start picking up on them. The Nobels is a love/hate pedal on here and I'm guessing this one would be too, but for what I like it's a match made in heaven.

Last edited:

jipp

Friend of Leo's
guess these will be popping up on ebay now.. cant say iv seen/heard one before.

they are going for 200.00? nuts.

chris.

guess this will be the next clone to hit the market.

telerocker1988

Tele-Afflicted
I have one of those somewhere... I can't for the life of me remember how it sounds.

To me it's similar to an OCD but not harsh and seems to have more mids (obviously can be tweaked with the EQ, which is passive AFAIK). Not exactly TS but pretty warm for a more transparent OD.

Jesse James

Tele-Meister
I've had my eye on these for awhile as well, wish they weren't so darned expensive. Seems you and I have similar tone tastes. I love the tones coming out of Nashville these days as well. Any particular songs that jump out at you as having that Mostortion sound, just for a reference?

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I got one of those some years back after reading an interview with Leroy Parnell where he said he used one, and they were not real expensive that time.
I didn't keep it too long, glad it's working for you but I don't remember being that impressed with it, but who knows, I might like it now.
They are kind of rare compared to a lot of the other Ibanez OD pedals.

telerocker1988

Tele-Afflicted
I've had my eye on these for awhile as well, wish they weren't so darned expensive. Seems you and I have similar tone tastes. I love the tones coming out of Nashville these days as well. Any particular songs that jump out at you as having that Mostortion sound, just for a reference?

Lots of songs use that pedal on country radio...but there is an old Miranda Lambert song that it absolutely nails. No idea if it was on the recording but we do "Kerosene" in my band and it nails that intro riff sound. Moreso than a Nobels for sure. That almost trashy intro riff sound can be had by cranking down the gain and messing with the EQ to feature the high end more.

telerocker1988

Tele-Afflicted
Gotcha. Thanks for the input. Might have to track one down finally.

Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea but it's a killer crunch pedal that doesn't get too dirty and shines at being a 2nd stage overdrive. Pairs really well with the Nobels in front of it, and if you wanted any high gainer after it like a Box Of Rock or a Fat Sandwich.

telerocker1988

Tele-Afflicted
I got one of those some years back after reading an interview with Leroy Parnell where he said he used one, and they were not real expensive that time.
I didn't keep it too long, glad it's working for you but I don't remember being that impressed with it, but who knows, I might like it now.
They are kind of rare compared to a lot of the other Ibanez OD pedals.

It's probably dependent on rigs and such. I also read that Lee Roy used one.

They are really great overdrives if you dial em in to where you like them.

zombiwoof

Tele-Afflicted
I have heard great things about that pedal, but from searching on Ebay they seem to be pretty rare and expensive when you can find one. Thanks for the review, though!.
Al

czech-one-2

Friend of Leo's
I have heard great things about that pedal, but from searching on Ebay they seem to be pretty rare and expensive when you can find one. Thanks for the review, though!.
Al

Yeah great review! But glowing,holy grail reviews for discontinued [ie vintage] pedals sure doesn't lower the prices...but I digress.. [I know I've done it too]
To quote Telerocker ''These are kind of a secret weapon but will likely become more known like what happened with the Nobels, people start picking up on them.''
I think the cats out of the bag and in the litterbox :lol:
[I still want one though]

telerocker1988

Tele-Afflicted
Haha my bad about that.

I actually got mine at a "fair" price. There is/was one on eBay for more money in lesser condition. I found mine on Reverb. I've been looking at them for about a year, finally jumped - the lowest price I've seen yet.

They are great pedals though - depending on your rig and style and sound you like but for a blues-rock meets country it works great with a Tele or Strat or with P90s or humbuckers.