NPD - Pigtronix Disnortion Micro

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by teletimetx, Dec 8, 2019.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Sweetwater, under $50.00, bag of candy, new fuzz pedal. So far, I have avoided what seems to be commonly described as the deep rabbit hole of fuzz. But the specs looked interesting and the various demos sounded pretty good, so here we are.

First, the physical thing is pretty dang nice. For a micro, it has a solid, substantial feel. The knobs are smallish, but are still useful. The sides of the knobs are slightly convex, which I found to make them easier to use. (see photo)
    IMG_7149.JPG
    IMG_7150.JPG
    So far, I've only spent a few hours testing it. There are a lot of features packed into a micro and one valid concern IMO is whether all those features fit into a gig environment. So many features that I found it easier to just take some photos of the user manual than to try to explain them all myself.
    IMG_7168.JPG
    IMG_7173.JPG
    I also played it alongside of my RAT, which I think of as a fuzz pedal, to get a point of reference. Ran it through my SF Princeton, plus loaded my old analog Voodoo Lab chorus pedal onto the test sled for entertainment value.

The two features that enable this pedal to produce a wide variety of fuzz tones are the series/parallel switch (a detent in/out button) and a rotary dial to select six different "fuzz shapes". These appear to be six preset EQ patterns that do produce different tones.
    IMG_7175.JPG

I found the presets fun and useful, but I imagine the folks who believe in the artistry of tuning in their own highly refined EQ profile to think otherwise. Myself, I already have a full time job.

liège reniflant? Has to be said in French, no?

Anyhow, I had a ton of fun dialing through the presets. Guitars: a studio LP with P-90's; a Strat classic 50's with Tex Mex pickups; my trusty MIM JB std with Texas Specials and finally my middle aged SG, with a P-94 in the neck and generic 80's Gibson humbucker in the bridge.

Loads and loads of fun. Seriously.

It's probably a load of confirmation bias, but in every case except one, I preferred the Disnortion to the RAT. And by that, I found the Disnortion to have more presence and touch sensitivity.

The one exception was the humbucker - the RAT finally came to life. I have heard that fuzz pedal experience can be pretty esoteric and subjective and produce different results through different rigs, so that may have influenced my thinking as well.

All in all, I preferred the parallel version of the presets, but I think that reflects my overall preference towards less chaos. The series feature cascades the distortion channel into the fuzz and that range is definitely louder background noise and filthier, "shredding-your-speaker-cone" fuzz.

By the end of the test, I was already thinking of ways to add this little box to my gig board. But for many, this might be more useful as a studio tool, to call up a palette of fuzz tones and see what sounds best.

Oh yeah, running the fuzz into the chorus set at full intensity and semi-slow? Welcome to Trowerville! Ok, I read that he uses a Deja Vibe of some flavor, but..,

I think it's a keeper. We'll see about the RAT. Did my test assistant, Teo, smell a rat?
    IMG_7181.JPG

kevsonic, jddub440 and bluesholyman like this.
  2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the review - I had considered getting one of these but never pulled the trigger, don't recall specifically why though - kinda hard to go wrong at $50 though, with a bag of candy to boot!!

Happy NPD!!

teletimetx likes this.
  3. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Noice... ages ago I had this pedal's big brother and never got hip to it. I think it was because in the OFO (Octava, Fuzz, Overdrive) the Fuzz and Overdrive were hard-wired in parallel to each other, so you couldn't get the benefits of stacking in series. Seems like this pedal takes care of that!

teletimetx likes this.
  4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Pigtornix Disnortion Micor

tehre, I spellde it porpper. dot'n tehy poorfreda? ;)

teletimetx likes this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...their two bizzee wif tronicking pigs to be reed pruufink. :D

Alamo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.