NPD (pedals plural) delay pig-out...

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
I just received 2 delay pedals via FedEx (American Musical Supply rock star payments)...

1) Boss RE-2 Space Echo
2) MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe

...and to make my pig-out on delays even more piggie, I just negotiated a deal on Facebook Marketplace for a first generation:

3) TC Electronic Flashback Delay (version 1)

I won't need to buy any delays for a while, LOL. PLUS, IMHO, I have a lot of bases covered with these 3 delays. The Boss and the MXR are both brand new, the TC pedal is mint, rarely used condition for $75 shipped... Lower than any current Reverb price right now.

Here's a demo setup I have on a TV tray, up off the floor in some kind of Mad Scientist workable within reach without stooping over setup, LOL

DSCF1605sm.JPG

This chain...

Guitar >> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up >> Source Audio Atlas Compressor >> Lovepedal Kanji 9 Overdrive >> TC Electronic Spark Boost (set for treble boost and light overdrive, stacks well with the Lovepedal)...) >> (for today) MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe >> Boss RE-2 Space Echo >> amp

The first thing I noticed was the smell of the rubber on the bottom of the Boss pedal. Definitely a "new car" type odor that was distinctly new rubber. The Boss pedal had all the pots turned to 12-o'clock, and the MXR knobs were all hard left/off, etc... Just something I noticed right out of the box...

So far after a very quick rest drive, both pedals loved the Atlas Compressor. I dig it, too. It's an }always oon" thing for me since I bought it a couple months ago. I have the toggle set to "Optical" and am running most of the knobs at about 2-o'clock. Lo'ts of solid sustain and does just what I want or would expect a compressor to do. Plus with the (free) SA Editor, it has lot's more fun packed inside. My previous comp was a Diamond CPR-1, which in dire financial times (ie. 2020 Covid) I had to sell a lot of gear, and now the Diamond folks have gone Bye Bye and folks are asking stupid money for the same on Reverb. I don't play that game, so I broke out the wallet for the Atlas. Very happy with it. It does way more than I am using it for once you tap the insides with the Source Audio Neuro Editor...

Both of the delays have PDF manuals online and available. I'm not much of a manual reader, but usually the print of anything that comes in the box is teeny weeny. It's nice to have a PDF, I can blow it up to bigger letter size on my PC.

I had been boning up on delays for a while, and seeing what's out there. There are about a thousand billion other choices these days, LOL... truly the Golden Age of stomp pedals.

The first version of the TC Flashback is one I like over their version 2. The tap tempo in this delay just can't be beat. I bought the first one I had on a Friday, and was performing with it and it's tap tempo feature the next Sunday morning. With version 2, they changed the tap tempo feature. In fact as far as I know, the same blue pedal, but the version 2 and later models did not have tap tempo. (FYI, Flashback v2 added the MASH switch, deleted tap tempo, and deleted some of the delay types and included 3 toneprint slots instead... I prefer the v1)

The version 1 tap tempo is really easy...
1) hold the switch down for a few seconds... the sound is cut
2) scratch your tempo by striking your guitar strings
3) tempo is set

IMHO easier than a regular on/off switch assigned as a tap tempo. I always find myself rocking my foot back on my heel to tap in a tempo on a switch, and it never seems to be metronome correct... We play with our amps back stage in isolation cabinets, and we also get a metronome to go by in our in-ear earbud monitors.

If I am not mistaken, both the Boss and the MXR have tap tempos on them. Tap tempo seems to be here to stay.

The end-all delay for me will be when I can afford a Source Audio Nemesis Delay. It does everything most any delay or echo can do, plus the additional of the SA Editor you can tweak it if you're into that. Plus, the Nemesis is full-on MIDI if I were to ever cross over the expanse of that bridge... I've never done MIDI, but it looms on my Horizon...

I have nothing better to do these days than be a shut-in disabled guy, and buy cool gear...

While American Musical Supply is having their "rock star" payments, I also bit on a brand new (they just got 'em off the truck) 2022 Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster. I like this one because it has the traditional JM pots and switches. A lot of the JM's out there slap a pair of humbuckers in there, and no other switches, etc, etc... this one is as close to a vintage JM as they I supposed could come... for $419.99, I bit and it should be here later today...

I highly recommend the American Musical Supply program. You have to sort of develop yourself as a customer first. But it goes like this.

1) Pick something you want to buy gear wise (Let's say between $100-300)
2) You have the option to buy it in 3, 4, 6, or 8 payments. The best bet they instructed me was to do a 3 or 4 month plan or plans, pay them off, and work toward them approving even more expensive things. I had 4 or 5 pedals all going at the same time, then paid them off.
3) You make the first payment, there is NO CREDIT CHECK and they ship the stuff out free 2nd day, etc.
4) Then while using the gear, you make the rest of the payments.

This has become an excellent way for me as a disabled guy to get gear and stretch the payments out over time.

When you first start you'll be a noob to them, and you will probably get some kind of smaller ($300 or less) payment plan approved for 3 or 4 month payments.

When you have accumulated enough sales and paid off items, you become what they call in a "green" level. During this period you may be able to get more than one item approved for 3-4 months payments.

Next as youy gain more business toward them, they have a "rockstar" level, where your payment plans of 6, 8, 12 months come available. Also, the level of how much gear you can buy at one time goes up.

They are running a free "rockstar" status, no credit check thing right now (only a temporary campaign)... For example, I just made payment plans for the Boss and MXR pedals, and a Squier Jazzmaster. All that should arrive today.

That puts a lot of fun zone into my boring disabled day, hahaha

I know, I know... I generally write long posts... haha... but I generally have a lot to say or add...

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
1) Boss RE-2 Space Echo

Source Audio Nemesis Delay

I will save up for the Nemesis... they are out-of-stock at American Musical at the time, but says "more coming soon"....

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Nice setup Nice setup Nice setup Nice setup Nice setup Nice setup

Hey, if you’re a tinkerer the DMC Micro is a super easy and low cost MIDI switch that is compatible with all the Source thingies. It can use USB-MIDI.

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
Not in this set of photos, but still in the Mad Scientist exploration community...

2 x Electro-Harmonix 720 Loopers. Each one has an EXT jack, so I have 2 x Sweet Foot Pedals (on Reverb) 3-button switches. Very similar to a Digitech FS3X ... controls presets up and down on the 720s...

I like the grpahics...

In my Mad Scientist Lab, I'll probably designate a single pedalboard just for the looping stuff. I'm still experimenting with side-by-side, or top and bottom... I'll hook them up on the carpet and see if there is a positioning I like...

EHX 720 Stereo Looper - 2.25'' x 4.00'' x 4.75''.jpg

Fairly easy to use right out of the box. I have never had to read a manual to use them. Right switch is on/off (bypass) and the left switch is how you time the loop to your playing. You click it on the first beat of your measure, and be ready to play right then... Click it a second time on the beat, and it starts to repate whatever you played into it... there is kind of a trick to getting used to the timing so your beginning and endings connect right.

The "Level" control is handy. On loopers (like the popular TC Electronic Ditto Series) do not have a volume/mix control. My answer to come up over the looped patterns with a Ditto was to add a boost pedal just before the looper. That way, the rhythm guitar going in for the loop was one volume, and the boost pedal gave me some "oomph" a bit louder over the recorded loop.

Not necessary with the 720. The "Level" control will lower or raise the actual loop signal, so you can match your in coming volume to the looped volume withouyt the need for a boost prior in the signal chain.

I have the looper pedal(s) at the end of my chain right now in order to capture anything I might play up stream toward the guitar. Octave, compressor, overdrive, etc...

I have an older Ernie Ball 6166 Volume Pedal (bigger version, not the VPJR that is so popular now). The 6166 is a bit larger. This one needs a squirt of deoxit on the pot... Only weirdness is that both the input and output on this volume pedal are on the right side of the pedal... LOL... I guess they were thinking it would be the last thing on your pedalboard, so all your other pedals would be to theright of this pedal...

I also have an ancient DeArmond volume pedal I think I gave $15 some where along the way. It's no good to Velcro to a pedalboard, it has a thin piece of tin screwed on to the bottom and it's not Velcro friendly. The EB volume is for sure Velcro friendly, just remember to carry a small screwdriver to pry it off the board once all the loops and hooks have set in, LOL

If I can find a decent arrangement for my 2 x 720 loopers and the 23-way switched (and maybe a boost)... I might buy one of the Pedaltrain boards just for looping... as looping isn't something I do all the time...

I go way back with "looping" to the early 1980s. My first "loop-able" pedal was not a pedal at all... it was a Made in USA Lexicon PCM-42MEO rack mount delay. It was pre-MIDI but it had a metronome clock output I used to plug in to a small (original) Pignose amp... It had the "MEO" option which meant it had additional memory installed from the factory. This delay was crystal clean beautiful digital delay, and could do 5 seconds of delay with that MEO option.

I had many long conversations with the tech guys at Lexicon back in the day over the phone. This is back in the early 80s when we all paid by the minute for long diustance, and I used to pan through Guitar Player Magazines to find the manufacturer's 800 numbers.

That was my first conversations with anybody about looping. I had sort of figured out the PCM-42 for myself, and called many times to Lexicon to discuss other options along the lines of looping. This digital technology was a big deal back then... and not long after, Lexicon came out with their own (and the first ever) JamMan (long before Digitech got on the band wagon...).

Phil Keaggy still used the original Lexicon JamMan in his rig. If you've ever heard any of his looping solo stuff, he is quite the master...

Totally the Golden Age of guitar pedals

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
Well, now after a half day of fiddling and learning... The Boss RE-2 is versatile and can do a lot of things depending on what mode you are in on the knob on the right side of the pedal.

I cropped the front panel so I can point some things out. Boss really packed the goodies inside this one...

Boss RE-2 Space Echo Delay-Reverb - 01 - Crop.jpg

My first question fior Google was "What do the 11 mode se;lections do?" (for the "MODE" pot on the right...)

That info is found in the manual, and I made a jpeg to share of that, too...

Mode Combination List.jpg

First, let's start with the rest of the knobs to the left of the MODE knob... Notice these are concentric pots. Each one does 2 things. First thing, get this straight... they are all labeled... The INSIDE pot of each concentrate pot is labeled across the top of the lettering...

ECHO - INTENSITY - REPEAT RATE

Then, the outer portion of the concentric pot is labeled below THE POTS...

REVERB - TONE - WOW & FLUTTER

I took the thing out of the box, plugged it in and sat there for some time scratching my head. Finally, after twiddling knobs and playing single chords, I found MODE setting 7 gave me a bit longer delay and that was what I was looking for...

Now for the second picture... "Combining the Playback Heads and Reverb". This chart tells you which of the three tape heads is on and when, and also tells when the reverb is on or off. MODE #7 has the reverb on and is using the #3 tape head.

As I understand it (so far) the #3 head is the farthest away, so creates the longest delay sound. In turn, #2 head is a lesser distance, and #1 is the shortest/closest. They are relaying this information in terms that match the vernacular one would use to describe a RE-201 tape machine's features. I remember Alex Liefson of Rush using the originsl RE-201... what comes to memory for an example would be some of the really spacey sounds on "RUSH - 2112 Overture"... (Release Date:April 1, 1976). Here is Alex back in the day with the Roland box in the background... (That's a similar model, the Roland RE-301)

Alex Lifeson w- Roland RE-301.jpg

Hear it here back in the day...

I discovered out of control oscilation (by mistake). I turned the INTENSITY knob clockwise and it went into space echo nut-zoid land, haha... I had the labeling all figure out opposite of what it actually does, I thought I was adjusting the tone, but actually the part of the knob I was fiddling with was INTENSITY. Kind of reminds me of a B-Movie Sci-Fi...

Knowing which knob does what, and knowing what in the heck the MODE knob does is key to getting some groovy sounds... This is just day one... if I get deeper in, I'll re-post...

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
After learning (on a TDPRI thread) that the TC Electronic Sub'N'Up octaver liked to be first in the pedal chain, I moved it to that position to experiment and it does sound or feel or simply "like" to be first. I'm going from my guitar to the TC pedal, then on to my compressor and others later in the signal chain/

Some discussions have an octaver AFTER dist/OD/fuzz. Maybe other octavers do better after, no common form of reference with anything but this TC pedal and the EHX Pitchfork. Both are "polyphonic" (meaning they are supposed to be able to add octaves and such to chords...)... But I am having loads of fun with the S'N'U with the one octave down and creating bass lines for my looper. I have now two (2) of the EHX 720 loopers.

I have a way of doing scale models of any pedal I want to fiddle around with. A couple of these pedals are in the mail (one is on layaway) but this is what my small Pedaltrain Metro 20 PB will look like when everybody is home.

he idea here was just to have a looper-only board that is quick to pick up off the floor, and can be at the end of any other PB I might cook up (mad scientist maniacal laughter here...) MOO-HOO-HA-HA-HAAAA...

Here's the model I made in MS-Excel, not too difficult and it's an actual scale model, and unlike the web sites that don't have every single pedal, I can close-crop a pedal, insert it into MS-Execl and it comes out like this:

Scale model of looper board - 01.jpg

The guitar signal comes in on the upper left. That is a Keeley Mini Katana Boost >> the signal passes through looper 1 and looper 2 >> the last thing the signal sees on this board is a TC Electronic Bonafide Buffer. Plus there is still some room around the edges if I wanted to add a couple more things. This arrangement I tested with patch cables and PSU cables attached, it seems to give enough room on the 3-way switches to hit with my tow. One outside switch is for preset UP, the other one is for preset DOWN. Each of the 720 loopers has 10 presets, and this looper being 720 seconds long can handle a loop/record up to 12 MINUTES long... FYI almost all of the (now famous) TC Electronic DITTO loopers only have 40 seconds of loop time... you can't record a full 12-bar blues pattern rhythm guitar part in onle 40 seconds...

Well, playing "Mad Scientist" at home with an influx of some new stuff to fiddle with.

Yesterday I got a 2022 (fresh off the cargo ship, LOL) Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster. So far it's love at first twang. I've been playing Les Pauls for a while, and the set of 009s and the 15-1/2 scale do make a difference... still trying to figiure out what the upper bout switched electronics do... LOL... lot's of sounds in this one. Frets are slightly rough but uniform in their roughness, LOL. The tuners are slightly creaky and sticky, but now that I own it, I'll make it "my own" and shuttle some things around. First thing might be a total copper shielding job under the pick guard. Something like what I did for my 1993 MIJ Fotoflame Strat... made a HUGE difference...

!Pictures 06-07-12 033sm.jpg

!Pictures 06-07-12 027sm.jpg

Attachments

• !Pictures 06-07-12 039sm.jpg
    !Pictures 06-07-12 039sm.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 12

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I just received 2 delay pedals via FedEx (American Musical Supply rock star payments)...

1) Boss RE-2 Space Echo

...and to make my pig-out on delays even more piggie, I just negotiated a deal on Facebook Marketplace for a first generation:

I won't need to buy any delays for a while, LOL. PLUS, IMHO, I have a lot of bases covered with these 3 delays. The Boss and the MXR are both brand new, the TC pedal is mint, rarely used condition for $75 shipped... Lower than any current Reverb price right now.

Here's a demo setup I have on a TV tray, up off the floor in some kind of Mad Scientist workable within reach without stooping over setup, LOL

View attachment 1022821

This chain...

Guitar >> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up >> Source Audio Atlas Compressor >> Lovepedal Kanji 9 Overdrive >> TC Electronic Spark Boost (set for treble boost and light overdrive, stacks well with the Lovepedal)...) >> (for today) MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe >> Boss RE-2 Space Echo >> amp

The first thing I noticed was the smell of the rubber on the bottom of the Boss pedal. Definitely a "new car" type odor that was distinctly new rubber. The Boss pedal had all the pots turned to 12-o'clock, and the MXR knobs were all hard left/off, etc... Just something I noticed right out of the box...

So far after a very quick rest drive, both pedals loved the Atlas Compressor. I dig it, too. It's an }always oon" thing for me since I bought it a couple months ago. I have the toggle set to "Optical" and am running most of the knobs at about 2-o'clock. Lo'ts of solid sustain and does just what I want or would expect a compressor to do. Plus with the (free) SA Editor, it has lot's more fun packed inside. My previous comp was a Diamond CPR-1, which in dire financial times (ie. 2020 Covid) I had to sell a lot of gear, and now the Diamond folks have gone Bye Bye and folks are asking stupid money for the same on Reverb. I don't play that game, so I broke out the wallet for the Atlas. Very happy with it. It does way more than I am using it for once you tap the insides with the Source Audio Neuro Editor...

Both of the delays have PDF manuals online and available. I'm not much of a manual reader, but usually the print of anything that comes in the box is teeny weeny. It's nice to have a PDF, I can blow it up to bigger letter size on my PC.

I had been boning up on delays for a while, and seeing what's out there. There are about a thousand billion other choices these days, LOL... truly the Golden Age of stomp pedals.

The first version of the TC Flashback is one I like over their version 2. The tap tempo in this delay just can't be beat. I bought the first one I had on a Friday, and was performing with it and it's tap tempo feature the next Sunday morning. With version 2, they changed the tap tempo feature. In fact as far as I know, the same blue pedal, but the version 2 and later models did not have tap tempo. (FYI, Flashback v2 added the MASH switch, deleted tap tempo, and deleted some of the delay types and included 3 toneprint slots instead... I prefer the v1)

3) tempo is set

IMHO easier than a regular on/off switch assigned as a tap tempo. I always find myself rocking my foot back on my heel to tap in a tempo on a switch, and it never seems to be metronome correct... We play with our amps back stage in isolation cabinets, and we also get a metronome to go by in our in-ear earbud monitors.

If I am not mistaken, both the Boss and the MXR have tap tempos on them. Tap tempo seems to be here to stay.

The end-all delay for me will be when I can afford a Source Audio Nemesis Delay. It does everything most any delay or echo can do, plus the additional of the SA Editor you can tweak it if you're into that. Plus, the Nemesis is full-on MIDI if I were to ever cross over the expanse of that bridge... I've never done MIDI, but it looms on my Horizon...

I have nothing better to do these days than be a shut-in disabled guy, and buy cool gear...

While American Musical Supply is having their "rock star" payments, I also bit on a brand new (they just got 'em off the truck) 2022 Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster. I like this one because it has the traditional JM pots and switches. A lot of the JM's out there slap a pair of humbuckers in there, and no other switches, etc, etc... this one is as close to a vintage JM as they I supposed could come... for $419.99, I bit and it should be here later today...

I highly recommend the American Musical Supply program. You have to sort of develop yourself as a customer first. But it goes like this.

2) You have the option to buy it in 3, 4, 6, or 8 payments. The best bet they instructed me was to do a 3 or 4 month plan or plans, pay them off, and work toward them approving even more expensive things. I had 4 or 5 pedals all going at the same time, then paid them off.
3) You make the first payment, there is NO CREDIT CHECK and they ship the stuff out free 2nd day, etc.

This has become an excellent way for me as a disabled guy to get gear and stretch the payments out over time.

When you first start you'll be a noob to them, and you will probably get some kind of smaller ($300 or less) payment plan approved for 3 or 4 month payments.

When you have accumulated enough sales and paid off items, you become what they call in a "green" level. During this period you may be able to get more than one item approved for 3-4 months payments.

Next as youy gain more business toward them, they have a "rockstar" level, where your payment plans of 6, 8, 12 months come available. Also, the level of how much gear you can buy at one time goes up.

They are running a free "rockstar" status, no credit check thing right now (only a temporary campaign)... For example, I just made payment plans for the Boss and MXR pedals, and a Squier Jazzmaster. All that should arrive today.

I know, I know... I generally write long posts... haha... but I generally have a lot to say or add...
I just watched the RE 2 Space Echo demo by Don Carr .
It seems like it could be real friendly in live situations.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire

1) Boss RE-2 Space Echo

View attachment 1022821

This chain...

3) tempo is set

get busy brother.☺️