NPD! - Original Vintage 52RIs

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by stressdoubt, Sep 23, 2020.

1. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

So I managed to get some of these on eBay and I’ve put them in the Tele in my avatar pic (my MIJ FSR ash 50s reissue) and they obviously sound better and are more reactive than the originals which is not a surprise - the originals weren’t bad but they lacked something and the new pups have (to my ear at least) an extra something that inspires me when playing.

The really interesting thing was I recorded the originals, swapped them for the new pups and then made another recording to see what differences there were - and when I listened back they sounded very similar apart from the neck which was a massive improvement over the stock pup but in the room the difference was much greater.

I did my best to keep everything the same on the rig, pedals, mic placement, duplicated the track settings in Logic and even kept the same strings but I guess what it comes down to is how the new pups react to your playing and how that inspires you - or not!

Anyway I’m off to carry on getting inspired

Cheers
    J

Ricky D. and dannyh like this.
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Congrats! What Tele is it? I thought it was the Lite Ash model at first, but the dot inlays are wrong. Beautiful guitar.

stressdoubt likes this.
  3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Similar but better is good! I mean a tele is a tele, and if you replace a pair of pickups shooting for "50s flavor" with another set shooting for the same mark, you can expect that they'll be similar. Just yesterday I went and tried a 70th anniversary broadcaster for the hell of it and yeah – it sounded like a good 50s-style tele should!

That said, there are sonic differences and I'm glad you're happy about the change. I for one love the OVs I have in my AVRI 52. IME they need a little more treble from the amp than on other teles… But once I registered that, they always gave me all I wanted in a "blackguard sound" and more…

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    stressdoubt likes this.
  4. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

One of my first guitars was a 82' 52 RI tele. Skinny neck. I traded it for a Gibson Lucille in 84'. I dont have fond memories of that old tele. Most Fenders that were not CS guitars were very cookie cutter and pedestrian to me.

JRapp and stressdoubt like this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I have a set of those OVs. Excellent pickups.

stressdoubt likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

"70th annhilations" sounds like a death metal band.

Yes, the OVs are a great, versatile set. Fender seems to have given the set 2 or 3 names over the years, but the same pickups.

stressdoubt and RadioFM74 like this.
  7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

HAHAHAHA… anniversary! Edited! :lol:

And yes, there has been a lot of confusion over whether the Pure Vintage 52s were the same as the OVs, and whether the OVs had changed… but when I A/Bs an AVRI 52 and an AV 52 they sounded exactly the same.

stressdoubt likes this.
  8. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

haha, I think that’s the point.

Swampash&Tweed likes this.
  9. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ TDPRI Member

Fun fact (and I have this first hand from the designer): The neck profile on those Fullerton reissues is the neck profile from a Peavey T60. One and the same.

stressdoubt and Swampash&Tweed like this.
  10. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

Thanks man! It’s a MIJ Classic 50s FSR from 2017 - it’s an ash body covered in clear poly (one day I’ll get it refinished in clear nitro) with a chunky neck and a 7.25” radius neck I saw it on the wall of guitar shop in my home town of Cardiff when I was back home one Xmas, played it and fell in love with it but I had to wait two months to get it which were two of the longest months of my life!

mkdaws32 likes this.
  11. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

I got rid of the necks on my early 80s AVRI '62 and '57 Strats and my '52 Tele I bought new back then. Way too skinny. I liked the stock Tele neck pickup, but the bridge pickup was a earbleeder.

12. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

I am sure I saw them play live back in the day ;-)

I wasn’t planning on upgrading the pickups - in fact I’d installed a no soldier harness in it to easily swap pickups in and out very recently. However when I saw these pop up on eBay I couldn’t help myself as they were a bit of a bargain

13. Swampash&Tweed

True.....but I own a cookie cutter thats not pedestrian at all! Those 80s Fenders were not bad guitars but I have no great memories from that decade gear wise.

JRapp likes this.
  14. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

Haha yeah. I don’t seem to ever really see anyone raving about stuff from the 80s too often.

15. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

80's high points. Digitech and Tech21 rack preamps, Peavey Classic tube rack guitar power amps, Alesis Quadraverb, Yamaha SPX-90. Yeah - that's about it. I had a Digitech twin-tube preamp, Peavey Rockmaster tube pre-amp, Peavey Classic 60 tube power amp and a 4x12 Peavey Sheffield cabinet (the cab might have technically been early 90s era, though - its a blur ;) ) I would put that rig against any Marshall or Mesa stack. Wish I still had it in some ways, but, man, the rack was heavier than any full-size head and any 4x12 is a pain to get in a hatchback!

Swampash&Tweed likes this.
  16. Swampash&Tweed

I still have my Didgtech 2101 preamp! Its in the closet but I have such fond memories I can't part with it.

Maybe I'll break it out this weekend......

mkdaws32 likes this.
  17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Cool

18. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

The difference is always much greater when u r playing it than when u r listening to a recording of it. In other words, 2 pickups may sound very close but not nearly as close when u r playing them. This is because u r not only HEARING them when playing, but you are feeling the difference as well in how they respond to your playing. And that is a huge part of it if not the BIGGER part. Thats what it always amazes me when people say "what does it matter if the audience can't tell". I say what does it matter whether they can or not ! It's what YOU hear AND feel that matters because thats what will inspire you to play better when a rig responds to your playing which gives u the opportunity to control what you are trying to express.

stressdoubt and mkdaws32 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.