NPD - Origin Effects RevivalTREM - A Controversial Take

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RYAN1987M, Mar 28, 2020.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Gear - I play single-coil Telecaster's through a Fender '57 Custom Champ

I’ve had the Origin Effects RevivalTREM for a few days now and think that I’ve really gotten the hang of it.

Right off the hop, the pedal looks great and feels rock solid. It seems like it could withstand just about any punishment and come out absolutely fine. It definitely seems like a very high-quality build and all of the components feel top-notch.

The RT sounds fantastic as well. I’d have no hesitation in recommending it. Without a doubt, it is a very fine piece of gear. I find that it reacts incredibly well to input level and picking dynamics. It cleans up wonderfully from the guitar volume knob too. Although I’ve never played a ’62 Deluxe, I have little doubt that this must be the closest sounding thing.

I have no qualms about the sticker price either. You’re getting an incredible sounding drive pedal with an unrivaled sounding bias tremolo capability. I’ve been trying to research to see if there are any other bias trem pedals that react to input level and allow you to ‘play through’ the trem in the way that the RT does (I haven’t found anything yet).

Now, the controversy - I don’t see myself hanging onto this pedal for very long. It sounds great, I have zero concerns about its quality and reliability, and I don’t feel that I paid too much. I do believe that Origin Effects delivered on their mission of recreating the ’62 Deluxe experience - sound and feel - in pedal form.

My problem is around usability (and that’s no fault of Origin Effects). I did my research and obviously understood that the trem can only be engaged when the pedal is turned on (and, when the pedal is turned on, you’re obviously getting the driven AIAB sound from it). Regardless of that, I knew that I had to try the RT for myself.

The more I play it though, the more I think - the overdrive / AIAB portion sounds great…but I have many great sounding overdrive / AIAB pedals. Likewise, the trem capability sounds great…but there are a number of great trem pedals out there. And that’s the rub, I guess. In practice, I find that I am frustrated by not being able to use the trem without having the amp portion engaged. I’d love to have that trem capability without having the preamp sound because I already love the clean sound of my amp. If I set-up the RT clean/transparent, then I’m really only getting a trem pedal. And, if I set-up the RT dirty - which does sound great - then I can only get trem with dirt.

In my opinion, to get the most out of the RT, you need to be prepared to use it always-on. And then you have to decide if you want your underlying tone to be clean or dirty. If you want it to be clean, you can of course use other overdrive pedals in front of the RT, but then you’re not getting the great drive sounds of the RT itself (which seems a shame).

With all of that said, if you spend a lot of time in the studio or you want a fantastic sounding fly-rig, I can see how the RT would be the perfect tool for the job.

I don’t mean to criticize Origin Effects or the RT in anyway. The pedal is fantastic, and it has a huge competitive advantage - it may just be the only bias trem pedal that is responsive to input levels and allows you to ‘play through’ the trem. I just found that, for me personally, I don’t think I can overcome the underlying and inextricable link between the preamp and trem portions of the pedal. And I was aware of that linkage before purchasing the pedal…I just didn’t think that I’d mind…but I guess that I do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

And, not to pour gas on the fire, but I find that I am 99% as happy with these two -

[​IMG]

For the record, I have zero affiliation with SolidGoldFX - I'm just a longtime user of a few of their pedals.

3. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Thx for the review. Hope it all works out
    I got a j rocket revolver pedal which is the same in the way, in that the preamp side must be on the get the modulation side when it’s stomped on. Fortunately, it’s a great sparkly boost that makes any amp a little more livelier so I’m good with it always on.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hey, if it’s a great pedal that doesn’t work for you, it doesn’t work for you. Not everything we buy is going work for us the way we hoped. Good honest assessment. Thanks!

RYAN1987M likes this.
  5. straightlbues

straightlbues TDPRI Member

Thanks for the review. I really really want to try this pedal. I am a trem junkie and being able to play through the trem like the old brownface amp is something I have always wanted. But I do have the same concerns you are expressing here. Still I am likely to try one out.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  6. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

I get what you mean and It makes perfect sense to me. But don't worry because there's no "end all" box of any type. Even if they came up with a V2 where you can have the trem separate from the OD, sometimes you want/need another type of trem or OD anyway.

RYAN1987M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.