1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD, one to avoid. Aroma/Tom's line AFK-3 Funk Machine

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by VintageSG, Jul 16, 2016.

1. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You may be tempted by the shiny box of auto-wah promise, but that's what it is, a box of promise. It fails to deliver on being much of an auto-wah, but delivers a swooshing sound and some signal clipping. I thought I'd got the gain on the amp too high, but no, this thing clips and gives a constant 'swoosh' when engaged. Not dissimilar to sweeping a poor quality wah at a constant rate I guess. It sounds closer to a phaser than an auto-wah with a continuous sweep of frequencies. I thought it was faulty, but no, it's just junk. Very poor sound quality.
    On the plus side, ( thinks..... ). Nope, no pluses, just avoid....The box is nice and it comes with velcro. Woo. If only it came with a decent auto-wah sound.

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

What about the Mooer Funky Monkey instead?

VintageSG likes this.
  3. VintageSG

That Mooer sounds rather good. Could be what I'm looking for. Cheers!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Don't own the Monkey, but I have a Mooer Yellow Comp which I love. If mine is any indication, the quality of their pedals seems very good.

5. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

Hmmm. I get confused with the labeling of things. Most of the time people call the LFO modulated filter an auto wah and the envelope controlled filter an envelope filter. But that's not always the case! I would be very disappointed with an LFO modulated filter if I wanted an envelope filter as well. And if it's a bad sounding one as well?!
    Annoying. ..
    Mooer does make good stuff. But beware! That pedal is also an LFO modulated filter!
    If u want envelope filter , try the dod reissue or a malekko omicron e. filter.
    Expensive, but the best filter I've played is the snow white auto wah by mad professor (see there.. calling it auto wah when it's an envelope filter some people do...)

I went through many filters before ending up with that.

VintageSG likes this.
  6. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Check out the joyo wow-wah. I'm using one and I think it sounds great - a lot like the snow white clone I had previously. Wouldn't be at all surprised to discover the wow-wah was "inspired" by the snow white.

VintageSG likes this.
  7. VintageSG

Thank you for the suggestions. Gunerius is right, I got terminology-confused. Easy to do for me. I need/want both it seems.
    I've watched a couple of YouTube videos on the wow-wah and it seems to give the effect I'm after. I think I'll explore envelope filters too. There's not much locally, but who knows what'll crop up.

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have an Aroma reverb that is useless as well. Lesson learned.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.