NPD Oceans 11

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jddub440, Aug 1, 2018.

1. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

My wife got me the new EHX Oceans 11 Reverb for my birthday. I haven't had a chance to play with it much more than an hour and haven't tried it with any other effects yet but it does sound so good on its own and I'm very happy to enlarge my fanboy board.

I do want to build the external switch for the Infinity jack but I don't quite understand the directions of the instruction manual on this topic. The manual states:
    THE EXTERNAL SWITCH SHOULD BE NORMALLY OPEN. UPON ENGAGING THE SWITCH, IT SHOULD CREATE A SHORT CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE TIP AND SLEEVE OF THE PLUG.
    Maybe somebody could help me by uploading or drawing a simple diagram of what this should look like??

2. luckett

luckett Banned

[​IMG]

BorderRadio likes this.
  3. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the pedal.

Switches can have a normal position of either open (off) which means its not completing the circuit, or closed (on) which means it is completing the circuit.

All they are saying is use a two pole [pushbutton] switch that is by default in the off position and when you press it, the wire from the tip is connected to the wire from the sleeve of the plug (i.e. attach the wires, one each, to a connector on the switch)

If the "Infinity" function is only suppose to happen while you are pressing the switch, you want to get a "momentary" switch, not a "latching" one.

jddub440 likes this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Congrats, only pedal I’m curious to try rn.

5. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Thank you for the detailed description....so do I just solder the ground to the enclosure??

6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Lets say you repurpose a standard guitar/patch cable (maybe 10ft or less) by cutting the plug off one end (or desoldering the wires from the plug) and then if necessary, striping the two wires back appropriately to solder them to the switch. One wire will go to one lug on the switch, and the other wire will go to the other lug. You shouldn't have to solder anything to either enclosure (switch or pedal)

If the manual calls for a latching switch, you are effectively building something like this (search for it):

Fender 1-Button FootSwitch (099-4049-000)

Alternatively, you could just buy a box and use a guitar cable:

Hosa FSC384

Just remember, if the effect is only suppose to be operating as long as you press the switch, you want to use a momentary switch, not a latching one.

Hope this helps.

7. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I bought one and took it back. There was something in the spring reverb tails that just annoys me, like a shimmering effect on the tails that sounded fake.

8. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

I believe that sound you are describing is the preamp drive....which is controlled in the tone knobs secondary function. I also find it to sound too fake for the real spring reverb sound I'm trying to achieve with this pedal. I dialed the preamp drive all the way down and and maxed out the spring length (which supposedly emulates 24 inch springs). I do like the sound I'm getting now, i keep the tone, time and fx level a little earlier than noon and the secondaries as previously stated.
    I think we are quickly approaching the time when most pedal manufacturers are going to be able to make a REALLY GOOD digital spring.
    I remember only 5 or maybe 10 years ago or so when digital delay finally started to be able to capture the analog delay decay sound and the wow/flutter of a tape delay.
    I hope ya find one that works for ya soon....best of luck!

9. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Sorry to bring this up again but I finally have the parts in front of me, and no offense @luckett but those diagrams never help me out....I need it explained. So in this picture I have a Normally Open momentart switch with two poles/contacts and a TRS jack with of course three poles/contacts.
    If someone can please explain where I connect the Tip, Ring and the Sleeve to build the Infinite Switch for my Oceans 11 I'd greatly appreciate it! Maybe even if someone could draw some lines on the picture so that there's no way I can misinterpret the explaination....I'm mostly just concerned that if I build this incorrectly that my Oceans 11 will malfunction beyond reason.
    Thanks in advance guys!
    [emoji652]

10. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

1534401470617.jpg

11. luckett

luckett Banned

There are four contact points here. Two on the jack (tip and sleeve) and two on the switch (two circles).

jddub440 likes this.
  12. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

You are the man, thank you Luckett.
    I kept getting hung up on where the Ring connects to and after reading your post for some reason made me realize there is no Ring, I'm used to TRS jacks for expression functions and I just had it made up in my mind that this was also supposed to be a TRS jack.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.