1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD: OCD 2006'ish, The Rico-cabrah...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Jan 22, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Had to make fun of the internet lore in the title....

I still maintain I am not an OCD fan by any means, and yet when a used one shows up, I try it, mostly out of self-torture I think...they aren't suppose to sound different but some do...serial number looked low, for whatever that could be worth...so I figured I'd try it in the store. The price was less than new and reasonable, so I figure no big loss if I had to flip it.

Sounded good, nice well defined crunch to it - didn't think I had heard one do it quite like that before - either too harsh or too loose/muffled/??/something and figured this was good enough to take home, I'll try it there and maybe it stays, maybe it doesn't. I really did not have a lot of hope for it - have sold every one I brought home (this would be #4 now - see what I mean about self-torture.)

Hi, my name is BluesHolyMan and I have an OCD issue....but I digress...

Open it up for some ceremonial NPD pics and turns out its a Rico-cabrah from 2006. It does sound good though. It might stick around...

7C22E4F9-5E54-4E06-AA09-17E77B7452F1.jpeg 31EA4BB0-9A90-4DB3-9B35-84F5D50F460E.jpeg

tah1962 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats.Happy NPD!

bluesholyman likes this.
  3. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

If it sounds good and does what you want keep it. It looks good. Personally, I have never tried one because I have never seen one in person. You'll have to have to post some sound clips and compare it with your favorite overdrive.

bluesholyman likes this.
  4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Is "rev 3" the same as version 1.3? If so, I believe that's one of the more desirable versions.

I've bought and sold the OCD a couple times myself. I think it's a great pedal, but can sound harsh with certain amps.

I hope you enjoy it this time around!

5. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice! Congratulations. I gigged quite a bit with an OCD several years ago. Enjoy.

bluesholyman likes this.
  6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Can we just give you a list of pedals that we want to try and have you buy and review them?

bluesholyman and RetroTeleRod like this.
  7. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Always nice to bring an overdrive home.

bluesholyman likes this.
  8. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Who’s Rico, and why was he putting graffiti inside your pedal?

bluesholyman likes this.
  9. bluesholyman

I should do a youtube channel or something to pay for all the pedals you want me to review...

artdecade likes this.
  10. bluesholyman

Yeah, all indicators (rev 3 and serial #) point to it being a 1.3

This one sounds promising thus far...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  11. bluesholyman

He is probably Banksy, so at some point, my OCD will blink its light and start sounding like a Boss AC-2...

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. bluesholyman

I have been able to spend some time with the pedal and its an OCD I actually like - has a place on the board. This one seems to have more "mids" than I recall the others having and oddly enough, I like that about it - this is strange to me as I am not a huge TS fan, which is mid prominent and thats what I don't like about them...but I like it (mostly) in the OCD - maybe because there is more low end. There is also a "mids" thing in the FS that seems to add to the harmonic richness of its sound without it sounding just like another dirt box. Still figuring this out as this is very not like me to go for a "mids" thing....

I decided to compare the OCD vs Fat Sandwich as they seemed to give a similar vibe - the Fat sandwich is a shape-shifter. It has 8 controls to tweak stuff and somehow I managed to get it to sound like the OCD. The FS has less low end than the OCD and the OCD (HP setting) is less compressed than the FS. The OCD is definitely more open and natural amp sounding where the FS just wants to kind of run away with the notes with gain, which is useful for certain music.

I suspect the similarities in sound are the hard-clipping aspects of both and then its a matter of tweaking dials to effectively get them to an equivalent gain range and some sonic similarity.

The OCD rev3 is pretty awesome and I go back and listen to videos comparing them and from 1.4 on, except perhaps for the OCD-Ge, I am not a fan. At this point, I think if I put the OCD-Ge up against the rev3, I would be disenchanted with the Ge. Might have to try that some day...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.