NPD- November 2018 Boss SD-1

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by OttoCorrect, May 6, 2019.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Got a good deal on a mint SD-1 on Reverb. Total price was $30 and it might as well be brand new. I’ve had SD-1s before over the years, including the Waza variants. Great classic drive, Boss’ superior Tube Screamer, imho. But this one is different from my prior SD-1s:

29D60DD2-90D2-4F44-B409-B97BC7FEB3F0.jpeg 627074C5-1E2D-46CC-BFE0-92213C1E2831.jpeg 127DF499-F780-47F0-A756-24EFC97B5DCC.jpeg

There’s now a lot of empty space inside! This one was made in November of 2018 according to the serial.

I’m happy to report that this one sounds as good as any of the other SD-1s I’ve had over the years, which includes the Waza and an old black label MIT. So if anyone is anti SMT, this one sounds the same as the rest.

I can’t mod it, granted, but I don’t want to. I’ve had modded SD-1s over the years too, and the stock has always been better for my needs.

Just thought I’d share the gut shots. I had heard the DS-1 and BD-2 were SMT but hadn’t realized the SD-1 was too now.

I really don’t care about SMT, it’s all the same to me, but I do wonder what’s keeping Boss from going mini with some of their pedals now that they can shrink the guts so much, I’d love some mini Boss stuff!!!

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Got to ask -SMT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

They’re known for their form factor, so it seems unlikely that they would would ever quit using it, but seem they would offer some “mini” versions in addition to their tradition sized ones.

4. JustABluesGuy

Surface Mount Technology. Tweakers don’t like it because it’s difficult (impossible?) to work on or mod.

leonard d rock likes this.
  5. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Ah ok. I’m not a modder either, so yep, doesn’t bother me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

SMT stands for Surface Mount Technology, the entire technology of mounting and soldering surface mount components onto a printed circuit board or PCB. The surface mount components typically being much smaller than traditional through-hole soldering that you’d find before on Boss and most other effect pedals. That’s how they get the board on the inside to be so small, using tiny surface mounted components.

7. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I agree, the Boss compact pedal design is pretty iconic. I don’t think they’d ever kill that style, but like you said, I’d be willing to think they’d start offering minis in addition to the regular fare. MXR, Way Huge and Ibanez do it, why not Boss, right?

8. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I think Ibanez did a decent job of making their mini pedals look like an Ibanez pedal by incorporating the small step-down from the switch to the knobs. I know nothing about manufacturing but you'd think BOSS could do something similar.
    [​IMG]

9. JustABluesGuy

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I agree with you @OttoCorrect. I think the SD-1 IS a better tube screamer.

I prefer it’s EQ curve, and I recently learned that I prefer the asymmetrical clipping of the SD-1 to the symmetrical clipping of the TS. Asymmetrical clipping sounds more “amp-like” to me.

leonard d rock likes this.
  10. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

As you probably already know, the SD-1 is just the OD-1 (the *original* opamp based overdrive pedal) with a tone knob. Boss put out the OD-1, Ibanez did the Tube Screamer afterwards, essentially copying the OD-1 but they had to use symmetrical clipping because Boss had a patent on asymmetrical clipping at the time, and then Boss updated the OD-1 with a tone knob and dubbed it the SD-1, seemingly to compete better with the very popular Tube Screamer. If you leave the SD-1’s tone knob at noon, you genuinely have an OD-1 at your feet.

I’m somewhat surprised that the TS has the legacy it does with some people paying big bucks for vintage 808s because of their historical context when all along the circuit that predates it and actually inspired it is hiding in plain sight at practically every guitar shop on the planet for $50 or less. IMHO the SD-1 manages to be both a popular pedal and a hidden gem at the same time.

(None of this is to deny the value of the Tube Screamer, they’re beloved for a reason. I’m just saying those folks who buy one thinking it’s the “original overdrive” might be looking more at the SD-1 if they really knew their pedal history better.)

11. JustABluesGuy

Thanks for the history of the SD-1/TS! I knew some bits and pieces of this history but you have put it together in concise, chronological order, and filled in some gaps for me!

Does Boss-Roland still hold the patent on asymmetrical clipping, or has it expired?

12. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Dunno for sure but I believe that patent was done back when such things only lasted for 25 years, so it’s probably expired. I do know Paul C. has an asymmetrical setting on the Timmy, and Boss hasn’t shut that down, so if the patent is still viable, at the very least they don’t seem keen on enforcing it.

13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think that even if the average user knew, the SD-1 is still at a disadvantage. SRV and others used a TS, and I'd think the average guitarist would probably go with something that has the word "tube" in the name, anyway.

...And to this day, there's still the pervasive myth that the TS "pushes your amp into overdrive," which isn't really what the pedal is doing (as its main intentional design function). Sure, you can turn the level up and the drive down, but you can do that with countless other pedals - that's nothing unique to the TS, if you choose to just slam your amp's input with an obnoxiously large signal.

What sets the TS apart (and the OD-1 that came first) is the particular arrangement of the clipping diodes in the negative feedback loop of the op amp's inverting input combined with the guitar signal going into the op amp's non-inverting input. Scroll down to figure 3 on this page:

http://www.bteaudio.com/articles/TSS/TSS.html

...That arrangement is what makes the TS/OD-1/SD-1 different.

Now scroll down to figure 5 - what you see there will be nearly identical for TS/OD-1/SD-1, too, because they all share the same value of components for what causes that (phase shift) effect.

...The only thing that I have a gripe with is the title of that article, being "Tube Screamer's Secret." Tone circuit or not, that's actually the OD-1's secret, if we're giving credit to the first production pedal to have it. IMO, it's not a big deal as far as giving credit where it's due, and who knows where Boss actually sourced it from, anyway?

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been thinking about picking up an SD-1 here lately. They are thick as thieves and just cheaper than dirt, (no pun intended). It was my first real pedal. I have not played through one since about 83'. I started playing through old Fender amps and the TS and Rat were just magic in that context. I have found a renewed respect for the Boss line. The BD-2 is the best push pedal ever and the DC-2w is the best sounding chorus ever made IMHO. Boss just ruled the industry in their day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.