1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD....New Pickup Day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Nov 22, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I finally MADE time to install the Bootstrap Pretzel bridge pickup that I recently received. As I've already posted, I used the Pretzel SET on a new build, and they sound great, but there were several unusual aspects to that guitar.....particularly the use of a LEFT-HANDED Wilkinson vintage-style bridge, so the pickup slant is opposite a "normal" Tele bridge. This new pickup went on my avatar, (#1) Tele, with a standard bridge. I've been using Bootstrap Palo Duros on that guitar, and was VERY happy and satisfied with them, until I heard the Pretzel bridge in my newest one.....but I wondered if the pickup "slant" had anything to do with it.
    Well.....it simply sounds amazing. It also sounds great in tandem with the Palo Duro neck p/up. I also have a Strat-style in the middle that Bootstrap made for me, and THOSE all sound great together.
    I've never been a big fan of a bridge p/up on a Tele by itself.....just a little too brittle or harsh to my ear, but the Pretzel is bright and cutting, but without sounding unpleasant. To my ear, it's "almost" like a P-90. It's supposed to be about 9.9kOhm (I didn't measure myself to be sure) so it's pretty "hot". I dropped it down a hair, and it has some "authority", yet sweet....just what I'm looking for.
    I WAS going to use my new build at an upcoming gig, but now I'm going to stick with my old #1. It's heavier (8lbs) than the new one (5lbs) but I'm just gonna have to deal with it.
    All I can add is....thanks Ryan. A boutique pickup at less than the price of filling up my minivan. ;)

BB, JL_LI, EsquireBoy and 4 others like this.
  2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

:( No F-150, :cry:

Wallo Tweed and nojazzhere like this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

:rolleyes: The dilemma never ends!
    Enjoy your NPD, it can be even more satisfying than a NGD or NAD.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.