NPD- New Partscaster Day.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Backstory-

When I was 19 years years old, I joined a band called The Phantoms. I’d been playing out since I was 14, but I still refer to them as my first “real” band, as we played all over the place, not just in the town we lived in. It was also my first experience with playing with guys my dad’s age, who didn’t have full time jobs, and mostly played music.

The front man was a guy named Dan Calhoun, and he was my first real musical mentor outside of my father. He taught me how to really be in a band, how to live with other people crammed in a van, a lot about life in general, and really shaped who I would become as a musician over the thirty years since then. He was the guy who walked me through learning that it’s easy to be in a band when you only have to see the other people in it a few hours a week. It’s a whole different ballgame when you all live together on the road.

Dan’s main guitar was a black ‘69 Strat. Big headstock. Rosewood. Black pickup covers and knobs. It had a mint guard. The neck and middle pickups had been rewound by a local guitar guru dude, and were quite a bit hotter than typical Strat pickups. His bridge pickup was a very early DiMarzio he claimed to have bought from Larry at a guitar show somewhere. It was black and had six hexagonal pole pieces like the kind you see on a Super distortion. That guitar was beat to hell and back, and sounded amazing. And that bridge pickup was pretty hot.

I hadn’t seen Dan since about 1994 when I got a wild hair in the fall of 2020 and went deep diving into the internet to see if I could find him. I really wanted to reach out and thank him for all he did for me, let him know that I’m still doing it all these years later, and that I still think about him all the time. He is in no small part responsible for me pursuing playing the way I have.

Imagine my disappointment when I found his obituary from the previous fall. I was seriously bummed out.

Fast forward to this morning, and I’m surfing CL while I eat a sandwich when I see a black MIM Strat body and big headstock MIA neck listed right on top of each other. Something clicked in my head and told me they needed to be together.

Fast forward to this afternoon-

59121319-D785-4914-8FCD-5F6E128807C5.jpeg

I now have a Dan Calhoun tribute Strat.

Black body, large headstock/logo MIA neck. I stopped at GC and grabbed a mint green guard. The rest of the parts came from my stash. Vintage style bridge, Texas Specials for the neck and middle to approximate his overwound home brews. I know I’ll never find a DiMarzio like he had, but I had a Chopper in my toolbox so I used that. Black covers and knobs. Wired it up like his, too. Five way switch. Master volume, neck tone, bridge tone. No tone for middle pickup. It has sperzel tuners cause they came with the neck. IIRC, his were black Schaller. But how cool is it that these are still black?

It came out really nice. Plays very well, and sounds great. I’d like a little brighter pickup for the bridge. I’ll also eventually get a better bridge than the MIM one that’s on there. Overall though, I’m very happy with how it turned out. It almost feels like I got a little bit of Dan back with this one.

The only really important thing I’m missing, are two little tiny water slide decals of hula girls to put on either side of the “Original Contour Body” logo on the headstock. I have no idea if I’ll ever find those, but I’ll be looking for them.

Last edited:

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Great guitar and even greater story. While I never toured, I played a great many gigs with folks older (now, I'm the old one!) than me.

Learned much from most of them, and others...well, not so much! However, one in particular really showed me the ropes.

Enjoy the guitar and the memories.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I really wanted to reach out and thank him for all he did for me, let him know that I’m still doing it all these years later,

Imagine my disappointment when I found his obituary from the previous fall. I was seriously bummed out.

Man.... I literally just had this exact same thing happen to me. Looked up an old friend that I hadn't seen in decades, only to find out he passed away 3 years ago due to some sort of tragic accident at work. What's even worse is he left behind a wife and 5 children! Sad. Really bummed me out, and still does. Sorry for the sad news man, but congrats on the guitar! She looks great! FWIW - Don't forget about Sailor Jerry rum... often times there's little hula gals in an amongst the labeling ;) Not sure if that helps, but... maybe it's a start?

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Backstory-

When I was 19 years years old, I joined a band called The Phantoms. I’d been playing out since I was 14, but I still refer to them as my first “real” band, as we played all over the place, not just in the town we lived in. It was also my first experience with playing with guys my dad’s age, who didn’t have full time jobs, and mostly played music.

The front man was a guy named Dan Calhoun, and he was my first real musical mentor outside of my father. He taught me how to really be in a band, how to live with other people crammed in a van, a lot about life in general, and really shaped who I would become as a musician over the thirty years since then. He was the guy who walked me through learning that it’s easy to be in a band when you only have to see the other people in it a few hours a week. It’s a whole different ballgame when you all live together on the road.

Dan’s main guitar was a black ‘69 Strat. Big headstock. Rosewood. Black pickup covers and knobs. It had a mint guard. The neck and middle pickups had been rewound by a local guitar guru dude, and were quite a bit hotter than typical Strat pickups. His bridge pickup was a very early DiMarzio he claimed to have bought from Larry at a guitar show somewhere. It was black and had six hexagonal pole pieces like the kind you see on a Super distortion. That guitar was beat to hell and back, and sounded amazing. And that bridge pickup was pretty hot.

I hadn’t seen Dan since about 1994 when I got a wild hair in the fall of 2020 and went deep diving into the internet to see if I could find him. I really wanted to reach out and thank him for all he did for me, let him know that I’m still doing it all these years later, and that I still think about him all the time. He is in no small part responsible for me pursuing playing the way I have.

Fast forward to this morning, and I’m surfing CL while I eat a sandwich when I see a black MIM Strat body and big headstock MIA neck listed right on top of each other. Something clicked in my head and told me they needed to be together.

View attachment 942034

Black body, large headstock/logo MIA neck. I stopped at GC and grabbed a mint green guard. The rest of the parts came from my stash. Vintage style bridge, Texas Specials for the neck and middle to approximate his overwound home brews. I know I’ll never find a DiMarzio like he had, but I had a Chopper in my toolbox so I used that. Black covers and knobs. Wired it up like his, too. Five way switch. Master volume, neck tone, bridge tone. No tone for middle pickup. It has sperzel tuners cause they came with the neck. IIRC, his were black Schaller. But how cool is it that these are still black?

It came out really nice. Plays very well, and sounds great. I’d like a little brighter pickup for the bridge. I’ll also eventually get a better bridge than the MIM one that’s on there. Overall though, I’m very happy with how it turned out. It almost feels like I got a little bit of Dan back with this one.

The only really important thing I’m missing, are two little tiny water slide decals of hula girls to put on either side of the “Original Contour Body” logo on the headstock. I have no idea if I’ll ever find those, but I’ll be looking for them.
A tribute guitar to a guy who shaped your music. That’s not just a tribute guitar. It’s a real tribute. You did a good thing.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Took it to my gig tonite. Played it for the second set. Where my Silver Sky is very vintage sounding, this one is far more fat and warm and snarly. I think they compliment each other very well, and while they overlap a little, it’s not very much. I may not change the bridge pickup, because the 2 position is crazy cool sounding. I had fun with it. A lot of fun. It definitely won’t replace my Silver Sky. But it will definitely be in the mix. It’s definitively still a stratty sound, but fatter and warmer in a really interesting way. It’s also quite a bit louder, which requires a minor amp adjustment when I plug it in, but I can totally live with that.

I wish I had a Brown Super to try it through. That’s what Dan always played through.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Backstory-

View attachment 942034

Hotcha! nice job Bob!

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
That is cool.
A couple years back I found my brothers Aria Diamond
in a pawn shop. Great Day. That is me holding
his guitar and he has my Kay. After 55yrs or so.

Attachments

• gtture.JPG
    gtture.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 19